How long to wait to take baby out?

Clarissa

Cathlete
Hi all! How long did you all wait until you took your new baby out and about? I am talking to the store and mini-trips like that - things you need to do but have a baby that is so young still. I can't remember what i did w/ my other 2. Thanks!

clarisssa, my 3rd is 5 months and i still only do mini-trips!:D i hate disrupting a nap schedule!
i prob started back WITH HER when she was 3 months old:confused:. i prefer to do my errands at night/on weekends when dh can stay with her between nursings. goes much faster solo and i dont get as stressed.
i still dont take her out and about too much.
but im a homebody and i like it this way...there are days it would be nice to get out more, but i weight that vs dealing with a tired baby and staying home usually wins!:D

We had Mason out when he was 7 days old. And really the only reason it took that long was for me to recuperate enough to wear regular clothes.
It helps them adapt early to different environments. That way you're not stuck with a kiddo that will only sleep in one place! I can't tell you how many times Mason had his afternoon nap in the carseat in a pub while DH and I had lunch! :)

I say get him out of the house! It's good for both of you!

All I need to do is drive to the bank and bring DS to piano later today. I still can't walk well so it isn't like I am going shopping. I just didnt know if I was exposing him to fresh air too early. It is lovely in NE Ohio today. 70 degrees and sunny! Oh how I wish I could walk a block!
Thanks!

Our pediatrician told us to wait 8 weeks before taking them to grocery stores/malls, but less crowded places were fine sooner than that.

Fresh air is fine as long as it's not too cold or hot. Avoid crowded places where someone might get in his face and sneeze on him. 70 and sunny sounds great, even if you just sit out in the backyard with him.

Bank drive through would be better than taking him inside. Piano lessons probably fine, unless there would be other kids around that would get in his face. I would worry more about germs from other people than anything else.

BTW, congrats!!

i got around the concerns about crowded places and ppl getting in the baby's face with germs by keeping mine in a sling or wrap anytime i left the house for the first 6 weeks or so. except for my negihborhood walks in stroller. when we went anywhere crowded like supermarket i kept him in the sling and basically kept at least one arm wrapped around him at all times. even when ppl would come up close to try to peer inside at him i wouldnt budge. just smiled and said he was sleeping, which he usually was!

i really do think the fresh air is good for all of us, even the tiny ones. and the weather sounds like its great where you are!

wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.