Hey Melanie......

briee

Cathlete
I was just looking at the calendar today and thinking wow...I'm now 9 months pregnant. AND then I thought of how much fun it was to argue with you about just "how pregnant" I really am. Like right now you'd say I'm 8 months pregnant and I'd say I "completed" 8 months and am now in my 9th month.....etc..... Remember that????? Years ago!!!!!

Just had to tell ya that I miss checkin in with you guys. It's just been SO busy that I rarely get on the computer. BUT....you prego's are doing awesome (I think there were 67 posts on your last thread - holy cow!!!) and chatty too!!! Hope you all have great births and blessed pregnancies!!

Briee

Briee!!!!!! I miss you sooooo much. Yes, I remember that. It's so hard to tell people how far you are. I always feel like I'm "stretching the truth" if I don't divulge the exactness of my pg. lol I'm 17 weeks today,......36 weeks is considered term for twins,........so can I technically tell people I'm "half way there" next week @ 18 weeks?

You got some belly pics yet?!?! You know, it's never too late,.....you can still join us. How do you plan on delivering this time around? I think you did hydrobirth last time? You're such a "she-ra". RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOARRRRRRR!!!

Oh...of course you can tell people your half way!!!! :)

I'm finally getting back here to check this thread!! I'm going to get some lab work done today and get a run down on how to deliver a baby. We haven't really developed any plan this time. I did take the stock tank back from the cow so we can do a water birth if I want. I was reading a cool book the other day called hypnobirthing. I am NOT into the "hypnosis" thing....BUT the book is awesome. Talks of how we are conditioned to look at "labor" as pain, but it wasn't that way years ago (like many years ago)...and you know it's really true. I had 4 PAINFUL births, but then once I discovered the stomach breathing and looking at birth as NOT a technical/painful thing....I was able to relax and enjoy the whole experience - at least for the last 2 births. It covers the identifying contractions not as pain, but as visualizing the "opening and stretching etc." Major difference. Get the book from the library and just read through the beginning - really interesting! And encouraging.

Anyway...I just have a peace about this birth - delivering the baby with whoever happens to be around at the time. We'll see!! Only 3 weeks to go!!! I feel GREAT! How are you feeling???

Jumping in here cause I am intrigued...
Briee- What is the name of the hypnobirthing book? I've read a little about it and am interested reading the book. I see that there are many different ones out there.

Thanks!

Hypnobirther here!! My 3rd was a HypnoBaby. All I can say about it : AWESOME!!! Worked like CRAZY!! Would def use it again. The author is Marie ......shoot, forgot her last name! But WOW WOW WOW. DH was skeptical - but it works! He's a believer now!

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Marie Mongan. Hypnobirthing, the Mongan Method.

I just spoke to a midwife that said she used it with her 2-3 babies and said it wasn't that different. BUT....I know there was a real difference between my babies when I began using stomach breathing through the "surges". My 5-6 births were tremendously different from the first 4! So...I thought it was interesting. Especially the power of the spoken word. Kind of like people who walk around complaining of ailments always seem to have them. I am getting tons of "surges" (contractions for you non hyno birthers) and I can definitely feel a difference when I except the surges and visualize "stretching" instead of PAIN.

Fun to chat with you guys. I will let you know what happens. I STILL don't like the "hyno" title much but there are some great ideas in the book. Jen...I'm glad to hear that it worked really well for you. Did your husband participate a lot in the birth, or did you do it mostly on your own. I'm asking because dh and I have hardly even discussed the upcoming birth and I'm kind of feelin like I'm going to be doing it mostly myself this time. Just too busy over here!!! Thanks again you guys!!

Briee

Briee, For me the "hypno" term is a bit misleading too. I definetly wasn't "hypnotized" - I think the goal is a deep state of relaxation. HB is to break the fear-tension-pain cycle. If you're scared you tense up and feel pain. No fear = no tension = no pain. I delivered my baby girl BY MYSELF on the bathroom floor. THAT's how relaxed I was!:p

DH did not really participate in the birth. It honestly happened so fast he didn't have a chance. Unless you call sweating in a corner participating!:p We hadn't planned to have her at home....she just CAME!:p

Briee & Jen, If you have any other Q's I'd be happy to answer them. HB truly was amazing for me, but also very different from what I expected it to be. I thought it would be lying in a quiet dark room.... I was definitely WORKING thru my birth but I was also very calm and not scared a bit. It was absolutely wonderful and I want 10 more babies just so I can do it 10 more times. :eek::eek::eek::D:D

Briee, For me the "hypno" term is a bit misleading too. I definetly wasn't "hypnotized" - I think the goal is a deep state of relaxation. HB is to break the fear-tension-pain cycle. If you're scared you tense up and feel pain. No fear = no tension = no pain. I delivered my baby girl BY MYSELF on the bathroom floor. THAT's how relaxed I was!:p

DH did not really participate in the birth. It honestly happened so fast he didn't have a chance. Unless you call sweating in a corner participating!:p We hadn't planned to have her at home....she just CAME!:p

Briee & Jen, If you have any other Q's I'd be happy to answer them. HB truly was amazing for me, but also very different from what I expected it to be. I thought it would be lying in a quiet dark room.... I was definitely WORKING thru my birth but I was also very calm and not scared a bit. It was absolutely wonderful and I want 10 more babies just so I can do it 10 more times. :eek::eek::eek::D:D

You are an anomaly! I still cannot believe you gave birth by yourself. And you want to do it again to boot!!! You're amazing, lady!! :eek:

No, no, no Stephanie, see here's what's happening....we've been told for so many years that birth doesn't happen naturally that we've come to believe it's just one big painful event with lots of intervention - via doctor's, hospitals, etc. It USED to happen very naturally and in the animal world...it usually does. In other cultures it does. It's our current American mindset/culture that tells us that it is an awful painful experience etc. Really, ya gotta look to what has happened for hundreds of years. Jen isn't the anamoly - she is what has happened for hundreds of years - until our current culture. Really it's quite interesting. It made me think about my whole situation as well....when I have a headache, I walk around saying "oh my head really hurts etc" and I'm working really hard now to say "hey, it's not so bad, I think it's getting better". My dh never complains when he gets sick and when I ask him "how are you doing", he always says...I think it's getting better. And he's rarely sick! I'm starting to learn that our "verbal" language dictates to quite a large degree how we feel in general. Just a lot of interesting thoughts that can apply to birth. Cool things to discuss on a pregnancy forum!! I'm usually a pretty positive person - but I notice that in the past I've suffered the consequences of "dwelling on pain and worrying" more than I should have. And for all you "Christian" catheites out there - this really lines up with praising and thanking God in all situations - makes one happy despite the circumstances! Really cool huh.

Now, Jen.....I appreciate you posting your story and I'd LOVE to hear more about your experience!! You had my dream birth up there!!!! How cool. I pretty much delivered the last two babies, but my dh was there. I did the cervical checks and told him where the baby was when it was descending etc - it was really neat - I delivered the last two in a new Menards 100 gallon cow waterer/tank. We thought we were done so I gave the tank to the cow only to find out 3 months later - we were expecting. Our youngest is almost 5 1/2 now. I've felt this strange "peace" through this whole birth (I'm sure that's from God!) and so now I've been studying how to remain in "peace" through the birth. What parts of the relaxation suggestions did you use?

Stephanie...you have a beautiful picture up there....are you expecting too? If so, you should browse through the book. The beginning chapters were really encouraging just to "picture" a normal uneventful birth.

Thanks for sharing guys (well...gals)!!

Briee

Thanks, Briee! That's an old picture... I'm not expecting. I have three little boys, and I can tell you, no matter how much I would have tried, there's NO WAY I could have had a natural childbirth. I'm waaaaay too much of a wimp. I had a lovely epidural the first time and unfortunately two subsequent c-sections. I think it's amazing when women do have natural childbirth... I think the MOST amazing part of it is their sheer will to get through it without medication. It takes a woman with incredible fortitude. As a Christian Catheite, I praise God for the medical advances that allowed me to have painless childbirths. I had horrendous contractions with my first and second child (they didn't find out he was breech until I was in full labor) and the epidural/spinal relieved that pain and let me really enjoy the process. (My third was a scheduled c-section, so no labor... yay!!) The epidurals/spinal did not negatively affect me either... I recovered from this past pregnancy very quickly... Left the Hospital two days after the surgery. All this to say that it's OK to ask for an epidural if it comes down to it... It's not admitting defeat. But if you do wind up having an all-natural birth, you should feel extremely proud of yourself too because it's no small feat!! :)

Keep us posted!! :)

I'm with Stephanie.............SHOW ME THE DRUGS!!!!!!!! And don't stop them after delivery,......pump me up until you push me out the door. :p

I have alot of admoration for women like Briee & Kate. Awesome & powerful births.

Jen, are you considering?

Repeat c/s will be done for these twins.

Briee,.....when's your due date again? July or August? I'll be praying for you girlie. Nice comment about me having #6 BTW,......just don't think that's going to happen. This lady is feeling quite uncomfortable (and old) with this bundle. What would happen if God have be triplets? lol

Stephanie....you just sound so sweet. And you know what - it really doesn't matter how or where you have a baby - they are all a gift from God. Natural birth is just an "area" that greatly intrigues me and so it's so fun to talk about with others on the forum. I am one of those "I hate being dependent on drugs" people so I'm always trying to find ways to be free from drugs. Melanie and I go WAY back, way way back and she is THE drug lady (pharmacist) and I love her dearly!!!!! Even though she's a druggie (ha ha).

I on the other hand would be a complete tree hugger had God not taken hold of my life and I am now completely His!!!! But know this.....I too am a complete WIMP!!!! REALLY!!!!! My dh is the one who decided that he could deliver the babies at home so I'm kind of looking at ways to make the whole ordeal easier.

Melanie, I DO want to be sure you are not giving those babies Mountain Dew in their bottles or I will be forced to report you to the Cathe police!!! :)

So you guys enjoy your epidurals and Kate.....I want to hear more details!!!!

Briee (confessions: my secret dream is to give birth in the Black Sea with the dolphins....I know - weird, but really cool!:) )

Last edited:
Mel- I agree with Briee about trying other alternatives to drugs. I usually try to use warm bath, ice and heating pads over Tylenol if ya know what I mean. I am going to order the book because I am very intrigued. I did Bikram yoga for almost a year and it taught me alot about breathing, relaxation and focusing during a time in my life that was VERY stressful and the hypnobirthing sounds very similiar.

BUT..... my epidural will be on standby! :)

Yes, Briee. Much bigger (and much more uncomfortable). I"m looking forward to meeting them too. :D .......and your bundle!!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I have little opportunity to type with 2 hands and 1-handed takes FOREVER!

Briee, Have you seen the video of the woman who gives birth in the sea and the dolphins are there? I haven't seen it but I've heard my midwife talk about it. Doesn't she bring the baby back to the sea and the mama dolphin goes to get other dolphins or somehitng????? My memory is fuzzy on it!

As far as the details you wanted...
HB just WORKS! We listened to the cd's every night at bedtime and occasionally I did during hte day. I pictured a totally relaxed birth where I would be working WITH my contractions, not against them. Gosh, it's so hard to put it into words in a post.... Not exactly sure what/how to share! I felt NO PAIN in my labor. There was PRESSURE of the contractions no doubt! But I wouldn't classify it as PAIN.

From my first contraction to her birth my labor was just under an hour.

My 2 DDs, ages 4 & 6 at the time, were in the room for a few minutes while I was laboring and could've cared less as to what I was doing. Because I was so relaxed they were like "oh, mom's just practicing HB again!":p

Dh was insisting that I get into the truck to make the 30 minute drive to the birth center so I went into the garage to walk to the truck. But at that point my contractions were a minute apart and I knew I couldn't make it. I went back into the house into the bathroom. I got on all fours and reached down and could feel her crowning. I took a deep breath and out came her sweet little face. It was the most awesome exhilerating fantastic moment of my life. I felt every part her little face come out and her chin tip out and up. Another deep breath and out slid the rest of her body. I leaned back and scooped her up in one fluid motion. She wasn't crying a bit - she was just looking around like "oh, this is mommy's bathroom, no big deal" You could see she was breathing and she was turning her head looking at things. She was absolutely perfect. My mom had called the paramedics to come and they came rushing in wanting to suction her face, cut the cord, etc etc. I told them kindly we were just fine and they weren't needed, but thank you for coming. They insisted on taking my blood pressure and it was something freakishly normal.:) They saw that we did in fact have everything under control and they headed out. My midwife got there about an hour after we had her. By then I had gotten into bed and delivered the placenta which we later had encapsulated. (A very awesome thing, btw!) They did all the laundry and did the babycare (weighing, measuring) right there in our bed. No harsh lights, suctioning, pricking....just mama and baby, the way it should be. They drew me an herbal bath in our Jacuzzi and tucked in me, Mike and Julia into our bed all together.

We had planned to go to the birth center to have the midwives deliver Julia. The home birth was unplanned but if we ever have another baby I would do a homebirth in a heartbeat! I truly cannot imagine laboring/delivering at a hospital ever again. Planning Julia's birth I had wanted DH to deliver her, but now that I've done it myself and FELT THAT HIGH.... I get to do it again if we have another one! It truly is the most amazing thing ever to deliver your own baby.

Well, that was a novel! Sorry!:eek: :)

Kate, your story is breathtaking! Gave me goosebumps too.

"delivered the placenta which we later had encapsulated. (A very awesome thing, btw!) They did all the laundry and did the babycare (weighing, measuring) right there in our bed."

What does that mean? "Encapsulated". I don't know if it's the pharmacist in me or what,....but all I can think of is deep red skin in a gigantic gelatin capsule. LOL

And who are "they" who did all the laundry & such? Your midwife? Did you have a doula?

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!!!

Melanie, You are sweet. I love Julia's birth and there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about it!

"They" were 2 midwives....sorry if I didn't make that clear. There was the main midwife and a mw-apprentice.

Placenta encapsulation.... I am a huge fan. You can google it and I'm sure there will be a better explanation. here's my laywoman's explanation:

The placenta is so chock-full of nutrients. Humans are the only mammals who do not ingest their placentas. Let me say I did NOT ingest my raw placenta! The midwife takes your placenta to a placenta doula. The PD steams and dehydrates the P and puts it into pill form. They get your pills to you about 48 hours after birth. The sooner the better!

There are so many many reasons to encapsulate. The biggest one for me was to eliminate post-partum depression. I had it bad after Gina and after Isabel it was just about crippling. I would wake up and SOB all day. Taking my placenta pills:p I had NO PPD! NONE! It truly felt like a miracle! PPD was one of the biggest reasons Mike didn't want to have more babies. It was THAT bad.

The placenta is so full of hormones. When you take the pills you can slowly wean yourself off of those hormones. You don't have this sudden drop of hormones and PPD yourself into oblivion. Some say it's a placebo effect. Maybe it is.... but I know it worked for me and I know lots of other ladies who it worked for too.

Encapsulating can also help with lessening PP bleeding.

I don't feel like my explanation did it justice, but we are totally believers in it. At first I was like WIIIIEEEERD! But the more I researched it the better and better it looked.
Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.