Heart rate and laying on back question

spirit75

Hi,

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and feelng wonderful. I was an avid exerciser up until the day I conceived and continued to exercise for the first couple months of pregnancy. Then, I got a bit lazy and now am getting into the swing of things again this past month. My question is what happens when your heart rate gets too high while exercising? I try to keep mine down, but it is just really difficult to do! Am I causing harm to the baby if it is too elevated?

My other question is whether it's okay for me to lay on my back and do some exercises. I know it's not recommended, but is that just for long periods of time? I just did Pure Strength, chest, shoulders, and triceps a couple days ago and felt guilty because part of it I was on my back for the chest part. Is that bad??? I thank everyone in advance for their insight on these subjects :)

Darcy

I have been wondering the same thing. I am 25 weeks along, and it doesn't feel weird to lay on my back,but I feel so guilty too when I do. I have been feeling extremely lazy too about working out. Its nice to hear I am not the only one. Also, this is off the subject of exercise, is your baby really active now? Mine moves on and off,mostly at night. It is so awesome tho to feel it ,I wish it moved all the time.:)

Hey guys! I'm 31 weeks and do exercises on my back on an incline when I teach BodyPUMP. The chest and tricep tracks require that you lie down for 4-5.5 minutes at a stretch but I get up at least 2x's to "spot" my class. There was another post call "Need some advice...just a little" where someone else responded about a Dr.'s view of the whole issue. Check it out.

I just feel that it's really so little to ask of me...I also use tubing while standing for chest sometimes...

Hope this helps!:) jeni

To answer your question about heartrate, it's not heartrate specifically that you need to be concerned about but going anaerobic, that is, gasping for breath. If you can still breath enough to speak short 3-5 word sentences, you're OK even if you're heartrate is elevated. You can also use the perceived exertion method to determine whether you're working too hard -- you should be working at about no more than a 5-6 (moderately hard) on a scale of 1 (sleeping) to 10 (sprinting).

I'm another one who questions the not laying flat on your back part (with the exception that you shouldn't do it if it makes you feel sick). It started to make me nauseous at about 28 weeks, so I now do all my chest and tricep work on an incline (four risers under one side of my Step Co. step, two under the other).

Thanks for your response. I had an appointment yesterday and I asked my midwife. She really didn't say too much about it. What I got from it is that it's okay to lay on your back as long as you are comfortable. But, she said at some point you will become dizzy if you lay on your back from the weight of the baby/uterus. She said also to get into a little bit of incline and that should help a lot.

Yes, I am feeling my baby move tons!! I actually feel s/he all day long in spurts. I notice it more when I'm at work and sitting. On the weekends when I'm running around and busy I don't feel him/her as much. It is such an awesome amazing feeling truly! I don't think I'll ever get sick of it :)

Darcy

I'm just going to have to work on that "grasping" for air business. I am so used to going all out when I exercise that it's hard to slow down now! I've been walking it out a lot and trying not to get too winded, but it is hard!

Thanks for your help :)

Darcy

LOL, I guess I should have read that before I posted my own question. Thank yo so much. I feel much more comfortable about the idea of laying on my back now :) It's just that heart rate I have to work on now :)

Darcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.