hand numbness

FitNurseRN

Cathlete
I have been having such a problem with hand numbness when i sleep. My fingers swell up and it hurts. I have only had this problem when i am sleeping. I find it a little better if i sleep sitting up but, It wakes me up when they feel numb. Any body else have this problem??

melissa

Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome which is very common in pregnancy due to hormones/fluid retention. I recommend going to the drugstore and getting a wrist brace to wear while you are sleeping. It usually goes away after delivery, but I still have it and my youngest is 5 years old!

Erica

I had this with my first pregnancy. At some points I couldn't even grip things anymore. It was really odd that being pregnant could cause that. But it went away within 2 weeks of delivery and I haven't had a problem this pregnancy with it. I did end up developing pre-eclampsia last time. I am not sure if they were related or not. You may keep an eye out for additional swelling in other parts of your body!! Not to scare you or anything, but just in case they are related, I am sure it is better to catch it earlier than later!

Hi Melissa,

I am almost 39 weeks and have had this problem since my 6th month. My doctor says it is completely normal - it's due to some extra fluid pressing on your nerves. Mine goes away after I've been up for about 20 minutes (I also have zero signs of pre-eclampsia, etc.). I have been bloated my entire pregnancy - my legs in particular - and I am normally a very petite person.

Best of luck and try not to worry. It's most likely temporary carpal tunnel, but mention it to your doc.

arancini

Thanks everyone, I mentioned it to my doctor and she said that it was carpel tunnel and there wasnt much you can do for it. I havent had a fluid problem at all during my entire pregnancy. This is a new thing. My blood pressure has been great not problems. I drink a lot of water and still work out. I could sleep with no problem if it wasnt for this issue. I started sleeping with compression stockings on my arms and wrist and i think it has helped a little.

melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.