Hair Loss Post Baby

L

lynn

Hi everybody-
I hope you are all doing well!!

I am having a big problem with my hair falling out... my baby is 5 months old and in the last 2 months I have lost a ton of hair.
It is bad enough that I can see thin spots on my scalp. I have not gone to see a doctor yet, but am considering going for some endocrinologic tests.

I don't think its a diet deficiency.. I take a multivitamin, and eat lots of protein. I am not breastfeeding either.

Have any of you had this experience? Any advice/suggestions would helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Lynn (Kojack)!

Hi Lynn,

Some amount of hair loss in the months after the birth of your baby is normal. Due to the hormones during pregnancy, you didn't lose the hair that otherwise would have already fallen out. Now that the hormones have dropped, the hair is falling out. If it seems excessive, talk to your doctor about it. I had little bit of hair loss in the front above where my temples are, but don't worry, it grows back!

Marjorie

Totally normal, but disconcerting just the same.

I lost huge wads of hair after my pregnancy with my son for 6 mos... smaller amounts of hair for another 3-5 beyond that. I had to clean out the shower drain every time I showered. I also began to see some thin spots, and I was freaking out over it as well!

It took almost 18 mos. to fill in/grow back to normal... and then, of course, I got pregnant, so now it feels really thick. No doubt I'll be back to square one after the baby is born.

It's all due to our wacked our hormones... by the way, I raise, show, and train Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, and bitches go through the exact same thing when they are pregnant. They get these awesome thick coats while pregnant, and then go completely bald in patches right about the time people are coming to get their puppies (7 or 8 weeks later). Within 3 mos. they have their original coats back again. Wish our hair would grow back that fast, too!! :)
Susan

It is so funny you said that about your dogs losing their fur.. I was lamenting to my husband about how I felt like a mama dog post puppies..you know how they all look exhausted and their fur is thin!!
Thank you for the reassurances!!
Susan: Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! When are you due?
Lynn

Lynn

Sometimes I think that we have more things in common with our dogs than we'd like to admit LOL :) One thing is certain, though, mama dogs do MUCH better during whelping if they are kept very active throughout their pregnancies... and they show now inclination to WANT to slow down even when they are huge. I think that human pregnant women could learn a lot from that... exercise during pregnancy is a GOOD thing :)

Thanks for the congrats -- I'm 30 weeks and counting!! :)
(glad to be in my 3rd trimester, but getting nervous about having two little boys in my house! :)

Susan

Hi Lynn! I'm a little late getting here but just wanted to say that I definitely lost hair up to 6 months after my first was born. It was mostly in the temple and forehead area. My hairline receded back about 1/4 inch.

Lynn,

Quick reply. I've had four babies and always experienced loads of hair loss, but for the last baby I was told to take Vitamin B tablets, the high concentration ones and this would help and it did significantly!!!! I didn't lose half as much hair. Hope this helps. A multivite will help but sometimes it takes more than that, find a complete B vit and take that in addition. Hope this helps. Let me know.

Lori

Hi Lori-
Thanks for the tip.. its still coming out by the handfuls!!
Will let you know if the vitamins help.. How long did it take to see results??

Lynn

When did you start taking it? did you take it in conjunction with a multi vitamin? And there's no risk of overdose, if you do?

I can answer the overdose question...

You should be fine taking it in conjunction with a prenatal or multi-vitamin because B vitamins are water soluble. When you're under stress, B-vitamin stores are quickly depleted... so nutritionists will often suggest that women take a little extra B-complex in order to combat the baby blues.

susan

I began taking the High potency B right after the baby was born and just continued it for a few months and didn't loose anywhere near what I lost with the other three. As was noted, B vitamins are water soluble so no you can't overdose. The added vitamins will definitely help especially while nursing!!!

Hi Lynn-
I just wanted to let you know that absolutely experienced hair loss. I thought for sure I was going bald. Luckily it was just one more little obstacle. Hope that helps. KB

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.