getting fustrated

Sissy1983

Cathlete
So I am 5 weeks pregnant and have a 2 year old boy already....I AM EXHAUSTED! how do people do it? I work full time and I am on my feet all day. By the time I get home its dark and all i want to do is crawl into bed. I am getting aggravated with myself because i try to make a habit of at least working out 3-4 times a week and that isnt possible latley. Am i beating myself up about this?

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

It's perfectly normal to be exhausted in the first trimester. It won't last the entire pregnancy...just listen to your body & rest when you can.

On a positive note, YOU ARE SYMPTOMATIC!!!! This is a reason to rejoice...as your chance of miscarriage decreases with symptoms.

Thanks Melanie, I know that it does get better into the 2nd trimester, i just get the "guilty" feeling. Dont you just hate self inflicted guilt?

I'm also about 5 weeks pregnant and exhausted - and I don't have a toddler to chase around! Don't feel guilty, because I'm right there with you. Women have assured me it gets better in a few weeks. I'm also trying to taking it as a good sign that I'm symptomatic. I can hear Cathe in my head telling me to "listen to my body" when it comes to working out, but my body keeps telling me to go to sleep :)

Carrie

I know Carrie!! At least we can make each other not feel so bad, i am getting in one day a week and the next day i am exhausted. I remember it def getting better in the second trimester, but i also dont want a lot of weight gain. i havent really been the typical "morning sickness" i have all day on and off nausea. i didnt even eat lunch today I find its just easier if i snack on things. Is this your first child?

You guys are all making me feel like there is something wrong with me. I too am 6 weeks pregnant but hardly have any symptoms at all. I'm starting to wonder if I am pregnant and wont really believe it until my 1st sonogram on 12/21. The only thing I am really feeling are sore breast. Is there something wrong??? Boy I hope not!!!

I never started getting sick until 6-8 weeks. Sore boobs were always my first symptom....and that is a symptom!!! Not every woman gets sick...nothing to worry about...

Congrats to all you woman. Horray for a new batch of wee-ones!!!!

HI Sissy,
I was also exhausted during my first trimester. I woke up about 7am - no shower - went to work and then came home and took a nap. Then I'd have dinner and go back to bed by 8:30 pm. The weather was beautiful and all I did was sleep; no workouts, no yardwork or housework, nothing. (I was lucky and had no morning sickness and no toddler that needed my attention). You will feel better soon; don't beat yourself up. I read on one of the websites that during your first trimester, the energy expended by your body due to all the changes your body is going through right now is comparable to running a marathon each day.

If you and your doctor haven't done so already, double check your thyroid (TSH). Pregnancy can often whack out a perfectly normal thyroid (and it usually goes back to normal after the pregnancy).

Good luck and congratulations!
Denise
Chloe: due march 5, 2010

Don't beat yourself up! The 5 - 7 weeks were the toughest for me. I was just so tired all the time. To be honest, I am only just getting back to feeling like a normal human being! ;) Go easy on yourself. Hopefully, you'll get some pep back soon!

Hey Sissy,

Yes, this is my first child. I was pregnant once before but had a m/c around my 8th week. So I'm pretty nervous about this pregnancy and trying to really take care of myself. I've also had a lot of on & off nausea, and healthy food does not taste good right now. So not only are my workouts lax, but so are my eating habits. I'm actually able to workout some, but where I used to workout for an hour 6 days a week, now my workouts may only be about 30 minutes and are much less intense because that's all the energy I have to put in to them. It's certainly helpful to know we have a lot of support here - thanks everyone :)

Carrie

You guys are all making me feel like there is something wrong with me. I too am 6 weeks pregnant but hardly have any symptoms at all. I'm starting to wonder if I am pregnant and wont really believe it until my 1st sonogram on 12/21. The only thing I am really feeling are sore breast. Is there something wrong??? Boy I hope not!!!

OK I'm totally with you here. Mel's post left me all paranoid. (I know that wasn't your plan!)
I'm currently 6 weeks along with my second, and apart from the occasional tiredness - I'm feeling totally fine. My nipples are a little sore, which I remember from the first time around. But I'm totally fine.

So now I'm freaking out that something might be wrong, and I don't go for my first ultrasound until Jan 4th! Argh!

I'm sorry. :( My last intention would be to make anyone paraonid!!!!

I had so much morning sickness with my last pregnancy....I inspired myself by letting me know that all the many symptoms was a sign that everything was going well for my pregnancy (which ended up being a TWIN pregnancy, thus all the sickness). LOL

I"m excited for all your pregnancies!! AND a new batch of wee-ones!! :D :D

Yes ma'am! :)
Working out helps immensely with the fatigue and puky-ness. Did the High Step Challenge this morning.
The only modification I'll make for the time being is to reduce my workouts to 4/week instead of 5. As I get bigger, I'll have to modify some moves or replace some alltogether (ex: I replace push ups with bench presses)...
But apart from that I'll keep doing the same work that I've done all along.

On particularly tired days, I'll just do Basic Step. :)

Wow That's great! Good for you! Last week was a rest week for me but back on schedule today! I thought I was the only freak who was gonna attempt shock cardio but I'm glad Im not alone.....

I can so relate to the early pregnancy exhaustion! Unfortunately, the exhaustion in my pregnancy didn't improve until 16 weeks. Working out helped, but it was a tremendous challenge to motivate myself. I'll try harder with my next baby, but we'll see how well I do.

As for not noticing many symptoms--try not to worry. I remember feeling that way so much early on because you just don't feel pregnant. But everyone's pregnancy is different, so if you don't have some or any symptoms, just count yourself lucky!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.