Getting back in the groove...

tchersue

Cathlete
Hi guys...

Robby is 8 1/2 weeks old now (Can you believe it?), and I got back to teaching my classes this week. It feels SO GREAT to be moving again. I wasn't able to do much until 6 weeks postpartum because of the c-section, but I am definitely up to speed now.

I gained 38 lbs. this time, and I've lost all but 4 lbs. Pretty amazing since I only got back to exercise a couple of weeks ago... I think that the exercise during pregnancy definitely helped with that because I had more muscle tone than a lot of women, and I suspect that this has made my body more efficient even at rest. Whatever the reason, I'll take it! :0) I have 15-20 lbs. of my own weight to take off after the baby weight goes (I'm 5'10", and I can gain a bunch before it's very obvious)... but it feels good to be back into some "normal" clothes and feel like I'm starting in a good place.

I'm currently teaching 2 prenatal/postpartum classes and 2 mama/baby stroller exercise classes at the YMCA. I had to laugh at my stroller class participants... they were sort of amazed that the stroller class was such a great workout (it's really an interval class... but it's outside and we take the babies). I thought that the class description was pretty specific as to the class content, but most of them still thought that it'd mostly be a walking class. At any rate, they all came back for a second class, so I must be doing something right. Those of you who teach fitness classes really ought to look into adding a stroller class... it's a great way for moms to get out and start moving again!

Anyway, I thought I'd come to Cathe and babble a bit... hope you guys are all doing great!
Susan

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-02 AT 07:00PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey Susan,
Sounds like you are doing great!! I wish you lived closer - I would love to take one of your post-partum stroller classes when it's time for me!!
Can't believe Robby is 8 1/2 weeks already!!
Erica

Hi Susan,
Congratulations on getting back to your classes so soon. I am a personal trainer and am hoping to get back to my clients as soon as possible after the birth of my first. I imagine it will take me a while to figure out my routine with the baby before I start scheduling client appointments again. Anyway, I am curious about the stroller classes. Did you get certified for this? If so, with whom? I think that would be something neat to offer to new moms. Any info you could give me would be great! Thanks in advance!

Hi Susan! So great to hear you're back to working out. Isn't it fun to feel so free to move about. Only 4 pounds to go????? You lucky duck, I still have double that. But thats okay, I'm enjoying seeing the progress as the extra comes off. Thanks for sharing and give that "Wobby" and Aaron a big kiss from us. Take Care!

I'm definitely not complaining

about the weight loss so far... but something tells me you started your pregnancy with a little (okay... a LOT :) ) less chub than I did LOLOL.

I know exactly where the weight has gone, too... I did a weight check on Robby this morning, and he's 14 lbs. 6 oz. at 8 weeks!! Go Robby GO!!! Keep on sucking those calories right off of me :)

How are your boys doing?
Susan

I am prenatal/postpartum certified through Healthy Moms (Hi Sheila! :)... and I have taken stroller classes, so I used those as a model and designed my own. You basically set it up like an interval or circuit class with power walking, light jogging, walking lunges, etc. in between stops... and with some special instruction for moms who are just getting back to exercising. I wish fitness clubs in every town offered these classes... it's very liberating for moms to get out to exercise, and it's a lot less stressful if they don't have to worry about childcare (which may or may not be the greatest at different health clubs, y'know?) Also, moms really appreciate mom-specific hints about kegels, repairing diastasis, and even breast support (i.e. wear 2 jog bras if you need to...). You can get great

There are various licensers/certifications for stroller classes, but honestly, I think that a certified personal trainer like yourself with some sound knowledge of postpartum recovery as it pertains to exercise can do a great job designing your own program. The format isn't the magic part... it's the interaction between the moms that is really special :)
Susan

Welcome back! I also teach exercise classes and I LOVE hearing how instructors are doing post-partum. I'm due 9/9 with my first and am enjoying being pregnant. However, hearing such enthusiasm from you and other's gets me very excited to see baby and see how well I fair having exercised through out.

How do you do your stroller classes during the winter? Or don't you. Where do you do them - on an outdoor track?

Glad you're back to your old self. It HAS to be due to your excellent level of fitness that you sprung back so easily. Do tell more about your stroller class.

Congratulations on getting back into shape so quickly. The stroller classes sound great!

Cheers
Liz N
(exercise physiologist, group fitness instructor, personal trainer etc etc)

Susan, you are truly an inspiration. I remember reading about how tough it was getting for you towards the end of your pregnancy. And here you are, less than 3 months later, right back into the swing of things! I'm getting to the late stages myself (will be 36 weeks on Thursday) and I just hope I can pull through half as well as you did!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.