gestational diabetes

Calee

Cathlete
Did anyone here develop it? I just failed the glucose test and was a little bit surprised. I've considered myself a healthy eater but is there more to it than that? I have lately been going for the high-carb comfort foods because that's what seems to settle my queasy belly; but figured I would be ok since I don't eat tons of treats and get regular exercise. I'm scared now because I'm measuring big but an ultrasound confirmed the correct dates. I'm going to end up delivering a 10 pounder, eek! I guess I just needed to vent some frustration with myself and look for advice; how do you stick to a healthy diet during pregnancy when only the high-glycemic foods seem appealing?

Hi,
With my second DD I was on the line for gestational diabetes. Took the 3 hour test and numbers were just slightly lower than diabetes range. At the time I was measuring big and doc was worried since I am only 5 feet. I was exercising daily and my weight was always normal to low so I was shocked that I was almosy in the diabetes range. I did decrease some sugars and carbs (not completely though) and ended up putting on all of 22 pounds during my pregnancy and delivered a 6 lb 5 ounce baby. Just watch the sugars but don't go crazy.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I had gestational diabetes with my first. I had to follow a strict diet -limiting good carbs like bread, cereal, fruit, milk, etc. - and completely avoiding the bad carbs like chips and sweets. Even with that and regular exercise I had to go on insulin shots twice a day. My daughter was only 6 pounds 6 ounces.

For my second pregnancy I didn't want to go in for all those extra appointments while caring for a toddler, so I followed the diet I'd previously learned for the month before the test. I passed with flying colors, and my baby boy was 7 pounds 9 ounces.

It IS hard to avoid those comfort foods, but the good things is that it will curb your total gain. Remind yourself you are doing this for your baby's health. (And for you! Pushing out a huge baby can't be fun!)

Just space out your carbs by eating every few hours and limiting them to 15-30 grams per snack and 45-60 grams per meal. I LOVE carbs, and somehow I managed.

Hang in there!
Anna

Thanks for the support and suggestions. The past couple of days I've tried to really cut back on sugary starchy things and have been so cranky! Today though I ate more often and it did help. It also helped to hear that you ladies didn't have huge babies! I'll keep reminding myself of that and that you were able to modify your diets enough to keep the weight gain in check. Thank you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.