foods with "skins" for baby?

bostonwendy

Cathlete
so... when have ya'll introduced the skins on things like apples, potatoes, etc? i have been peeling these up to this point (JJ is 9 months now) but im thinking if the skins are cooked, maybe not so bad? what about the skins on beans -- if i make beans for him to i really need to rub the skins off??? some bab y recipes say so. is it the high fiber in skins that may be too much for baby's system? i guess i just dont really know what the reasoning is and how /when to start to introduce them.

wendy

Ive been peeling my apples & swt potato for juiia. but she gets the skins off prunes, blueberries, beans.
id think if they're cooked/mashedup they'd be ok....:confused::confused: hadnt heard to not give them..
still learning i suppose!

I've never peeled anything for DS and he's been just fine with it. Generally, if the food is squishy enough for them to mash with their gums, the skins will be too.

ok, i think i just needed to hear a few try-it-its-probably-fine's. i was going to make beans this week and my baby cookbook said to rub off the skins... sounded so weird to me and way time-consuming, too. maybe the skin is what makes them gaseous, donno. but will try it with skins and see how it goes!

kate, i have also been giving the skins on blueberries but peeling apples and sweet potatoes. so when do we start including the apple peels? in my house we actually prefer our applesauce with the peels in there, ove always made it that way.

wendy

Wendy, I CANNOT imagine rubbing the skins off beans! WIERD!:p Maybe just give smaller portions of the skin foods for a few days to see if they create any issues and slowly build the portion sizes uP???
Not sure on the apple peels.....or swt pots. Both are pretty thick. Maybe just peel half. So 1/2 skins, 1/2 not. Then when you mash the whole thing up he's still getting skins but not quite as much?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.