Fit Pregnancy Books

kellib

Cathlete
Anyone have recommendations for a good book on how to keep fit during your pregnancy? I'm not pregnant but I'd like to read up on this for the future. I workout regularly (with Cathe of course) and would like to maintain - somewhat- my fitness level should I be able to get pregnant when the time comes.
Thanks!!

Well, the gold standard in fitness pregnancy books is Dr. James Clapp's Exercising Through Your Pregnancy, but it is currently out of print and hard to find. It doesn't give you specific exercises to do, but it presents the most thorough and scientific explanation of how exercise affects a pregnant body and why it's good for mom and baby. It also is one of the few pregnancy/exercise books out there that allows for the possibility that very fit women also get pregnant and don't necessarily want to spend 9 months with just "light walking."

If you want specific exercises, a lot of people seem to have recommended Expecting Fitness by Brigitta Gallo. Sheila Watkins, the moderator of this forum, usually recommends a book called something like "Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Years," but I've been unable to find the exact name and author by searching the forum, so hopefully someone else will remember! Fitness magazine also has a book out called Pregnancy Fitness (I think) that I thought was pretty good.

But of course, the best resource is this forum! (How's that for an unsolicited plug?!) Good luck with your future family plans.

Hi Kelli,
The book by Dr. Clapp is actually between editions. According to Amazon the new edition was to be published in February of this year but so far it's not available. You can pre-order it though and they'll send it to you as soon as it's available.

Dana

I second the recommendation of "Expecting Fitness" by Birgitta Gallo - it has been an excellent reference throughout my pregnancy. It even includes exercises that can be done if you're put on bed rest (as I have been)

Take Care!

AmandaVL

Hi Hazel. That book that Sheila recommends is called "Essential Exericses for the Childbearing Year" by Elizabeth Noble. Take Care :)!

Hi kellib! I was actually able to order the new edition of Dr. Clapp's book on Amazon.com. I think I received it about three or four weeks ago. It is amazing and extremely helpful. I would certainly recommend it. I would also recommend , like a many others, Brigitta Gallo's book, "Expecting Fitness". I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant now, but have already found many of the modifications offered to be very helpful. I know that down the road they will be even more helpful!!
Good Luck.
Becky

What?? Are you sure it's the new edition? Not that it matters - I would be happy with the old edition if I could get it. But I pre-ordered it from Amazon about two weeks ago and it's still showing as unavailable. They are supposed to ship it to me when it comes in. Anyway, congratulations on getting your hands on a hot commodity! :)

Wow! Are the Dr.Clapp books already gone? I ordered mine on Amazon right afer I found out I was pregnant. They weren't available at that time (very end of January), but I pre-ordered a copy and received mine during the second or third week of February. Hopefully they will hurry up and get more for everyone who still needs a copy!!
Good Luck !

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.