Fit & Firm Mom Jan 18th

melanalyus

Cathlete
Good morning, mommies! Thought I'd get us started this week.

I've been eating super clean, although I could eat more veggies.
I've been working out 6-7 days/week (often twice daily).
I know weekly goal weight loss shouldn't be more than 2lbs, but I"m hoping with nursing the twins exclusively I can shed 3-5lbs/week. We'll see!

DH went on fishing trip today...plans on being gone 13 hours, so I'm not sure if I'll get a workout in today. Last two nights I've been putting a girl in baby bjorn and walking 4 miles on elliptical random setting. I"m careful not to go too fast---for fear of shaken baby syndrome---and I don't use my arms. It's awesome that it adds an add'l 7-9 lbs to my exersion. Speaking of which, my Cathe weighted vest should be here today. :)

Wednesday is our 2 month check up for the twins.... Friday/Saturday I'm working just 3hr/day in town so the pharmacist can get a little break (to go fishing...what else)!

What's on everyone's agenda?

Waves to all!

Morning Melanie!
Computer seems to be cooperating today, so far. Our new one has shipped!
Haley is home today, MLK, so we are just haning out. Going to be sunny and 65..ahhhh. Kara was restless last night. Might of been that double espresso I had yesterdy after lunch!!! Bad me I know..but it was so good! I usually just have one small cup of coffee in the morning. SHe has been taking a good nap this morning...I have made a pot of soup, and shredded a chicken that I baked...dh wants homeade pot pie sometime this week.

I NEED HELP eating clean! I eat healthy meals..its the extra stuff that I can't control.
Melanie-got any hints?? Will the girls get shots Wednesday? Are you looking forward to your short shifts at work??

Yesterday I did weights...no workout today..felt like Haley needed some mom time...will be back to it tomorrow.

being paged ...bbs

Susan, I had to "detox" to get rid of sugar/carb cravings. It was the only way (for me). Maybe someone else has other ideas? That's a good time spending time with Haley...your such a good mom. :D

Yup, the girls get shots on Wednesday. They handled their first round well...so I'm hoping they do well this time. I might take the girls by myself (without DH)...it's 2 hrs away....we'll see!

Am i looking forward to work? I don't know. It's only 2-3 hrs/day....so that's not bad at all. Am I looking forward to my 10 hr shifts and 3 hrs driving/day? Absolutely not.

So far so good today (with all the kiddos). Never know what's in the cards! lol

Melanie-I really need to get rid of the sugar cravings. When I don't eat them..I don't want them. How did you go about it?
Kara got her first shots at 2 months..I guess they give them earlier in your state. We go back on Feb 18 for round 2!

I eliminated all simple sugars (including pasta, bread & noodles). The only sugars that I allowed myself/day is 1/2 cup fruit in smoothies. Basically, I followed phase 1 of SouthBeach Diet + the daily smoothie (since I'm nursing I didn't want to be too strict).

10-lb weighted vest came today. What can I say? It's is SUPER NICE!! I"m really impressed! I talked DS1 into watching the four kiddos (babies napping) while I did Athletic Step. I'll do another 4 mile "walk" later w/my 10lb vest & a baby. lol Hope it goes well!

Chili in the crockpot for tonight!

Finally took an updated pic of workout room :)

Had to add a pic of the girls too ;)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 25
Melanie-Im so jealous of your workout room! Before Kara i had my own space, but nothing like you have! ONe day!
Girls are precious precious precious!
ABout to eat dinner...bbs

Thanks, Susan! It's pretty much my dream workout room. :) In our last house I used an itsy bitsy section of our living room....actually wore out the carpet. lol I really can't think of anything I would do different!!

Dinner is almost ready (sweet & spicy chili). DH should be home within the hour,....and I did it! I survived a 13 hour day as a single parent. It wasn't that bad....and my house isn't even that trashed. I did good today. lol .....of course you never know what's going to happen!!....might not be as lucky next time. :D

Melanie-Im glad your day went well! Us girls had a nice day too!
We had roast and veggies..was really good.
My throat is tickly..ohhh I hope Im not getting sick. The only cough medicine I can take is Haley's. I can't find anywhere if phenylephrine and diphenhydramine together is safe while nursing. I am very sensitive to cold meds..they wire me...Haley's medicine always works for me when I have a cold/cough.

Anyhoo-Im hoping Kara sleeps good tonight..Im due for some good sleep!

Im gonna do my best to beat this sugar monster that is chasing me around these days!!!!

Well Susan, if you do end up getting sick (and I know you won't) just let me know & we'll figure out some dope for you, K? lol

All the boys are down, Myranda is sleeping, just Maddie and me......and the elliptical is calling us. lol Wish us luck!!

Waving hello to everyone :)

Melanie, the girls are adorable! I am sooooo jealous of that amazing workout room you have. I work out in my living room, so I have all my stuff in our living room (I try to hide it when I know company is coming LOL). Someday, I hope to have a real room, so I can have a treadmill too!

Susan, I hear you on the sugar monster. Bah! I was doing really really well last week, and then I allowed myself to get derailed. Today was better, and tomorrow will be better still.

My grandmother, amazing woman that she was, passed away at the age of 88. The whole family came to town for her memorial service. It was great to see everyone, but it made me sad that everyone came for her funeral and not for her birthday, which was in December. I'm happy I was able to see her 2 times in December. One visit was for her to meet Drew, and I will always cherish the video I took of her playing with him. :)

I haven't worked out in 5 days, and boy, does it show. I am sooo crabby.

Picked up Tosca's new hardcover cookbook today. Since I no longer get to peruse bookds at the store, I figured I'd look through it tonight to see if it's worth keeping.

Hi Allison-Im so sorry about your grandmother. My Nana was my best friend..it was so hard when she passed away..I still miss her dearly! We'll team up on that ole sugar monster and get him good!! HOw is Drew sleeping?? Kara..not so good this week!

Melanie-I think I'll try to walk on the treadmill tomorrow with Kara strapped on me..will be a nice extra workout! Hope you and Maddie had a nice workout. Your energy amazes me! Btw..how much sleep do you get? Kara has been getting up more. Last night I think she slept in her bed an hour....the rest of the time she was in my arms! I just put her down..so we'll see how tonight goes.
Gonna go spend some time with dh then hit the sack! See you gals in the morning.
Tomorrow will be CLEAN and HEALTHY! You with me????

Allison, nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your grandma. I've heard it said before that the only family reunions nowadays are funerals. It's sad. :(

I appreciate my workout room everyday....and I protect it like you wouldn't believe. When we first moved here I let everyone pick their space...then I picked mine. Shortly afterward...people tried to "set" things in my space. Let's just say it didn't go very well with me!!! LOL When I was pg & unable to workout (due to dr's orders) I couldn't bring myself to even go into the room, b/c it saddened me.

Susan, I enjoyed my walk again!! I added 18 extra pounds (10 lb vest + Maddie) and shed over 600 calories & 4.35 miles in a mere 60 minutes. I am definitely going to make this a habit!!!

Sleeping? I"m guessing I sleep about 6 hrs/night. The gofit wear is supposed to calculate your actual sleep time & quality of sleep...

My girls sleep in our arms. Our boys did the same thing. I know, I know, it's not "healthy"....but we enjoy it (usually). So...... we each get a baby all night long!! We just trade off when they need to nurse. DH is responsible for nighttime diapers, and I do all feedings. It might be dysfunctional....but it works!!

I am an all-or-none type gal. So when it comes to sweets....I have none. At least now. I'm upset with my mom b/c she sent two gigantic popcorn canisters full of chocolate chip cookies. :mad::mad: These are my absolute favorite & my downfall. I haven't had *one* since they came a week ago!

Morning!
Hope everyone had a good night!
Melanie-great workout with the vest!!! Did Maddie sleep while you ellipticaled (is that a word lol). Im for sure gonna walk with Kara this afternoon. I don't mind holding Kara at night, but my arm does! Last night she woke up at 9:30 just as I was getting comfy in bed.....I nursed, fell asleep until 1....nursed again..fell asleep...finally I put her in her crib at 3...she got up at 5..nursed again..slept until 6:30. Whew. I don't feel really rested today!
Any exciting plans for today??
Gotta get Haley up and running..bbs

Morning everyone! Had a great weekend with my boys! We told the grandparents no vistors this weekend which was nice. When I stopped to think about it, we have had a family member at our house every weekend and sometimes once during the week since James was born. No family vists was great! Don't get me wrong, we love our family but we also wanted some "us" time.

We went and talked to the lady that is going to watch James and spent about two hours at her house yesterday. I felt really comfortable and my "gut" tells me that it will work out. She is so flexible and laid back and I really like that because that is kinda how I am. Her husband is a police officer also so she understands and will work with our crazy schedules. She has three girls; 14, 10 and 6. The 14 year old stays in her room all day but the 6 and 10 year old were ALL about James and making him laugh. They also changed his diaper. He's going to have so much fun there. She watches two other toddlers and that's it.

Melanie- You are bound and determined to get those pounds off anyway you can! Great job! It's so refreshing that you don't let having a family dissuade you from working out and burning calories. I love your workout room and am also jealous! Don't get me wrong, I love mine too but I wish mine was bigger. I also did not go into my workout room when I was pg and not working out.

Allison- Hey girl! Good to hear from you! I'm sorry about your grandma. My only living grandma lives in CO and we are trying to convince her to move to FL. She and I are really close.

Susan- You just have to put the sugar down girl! I haven't had any (except that one brownie bite last week) in over two weeks and then DH wanted a bag of mini snickers. I did have two last night but left them at home so I dont eat ANY at work. I find that if I just don't eat it then I don't crave it.

Anyone know about Fenugreek to help with milk supply? I am trying to increase it since I am exclusively pumping now. I have been eating oatmeal twice a day and I do notice a little bit of a difference.

Hi Jen! How exciting to know where James will be going. It's going to be hard, either way,...but much better when you are at ease about the situation. LOL about the teenager being in their room....can totally relate with Jory. The only time I see him is in evening when everyone's sleeping but me and a baby...I will go get him from his cave & hang out for a while. I savor this time with him...we laugh & chat about lots of different things! I've really gotten alot closer to him with bedrest & time off of work!

Fenugreek. Yes, I took it when girls were in NICU. The lacation consultant told me NOT to follow directions on bottle. Instead, start off by taking two capsules three times a day & then increase to three capsules three times a day....continue to increase until you smell like syrup. Your sweat, milk, breathe, EVERYTHING will smell like syrup. As a reference point, I was taking FIVE capsules three times a day. lol Sounds like alot, but it worked!

Susan, let me know how carrier works.

My scale hasn't moved in three days. :( Hoping it'll move tomorrow. ;)

bbl

LIC Cardio Blast done...48 min. Havent done that in a while..it was fun!

Jen-that is great about James daycare! I means a lot for you to feel good about where he is staying! Good for you on steering clear from sweets...Im trying my best to!

Melanie-your time with Jory sounds wonderful...he will remember this special time with you forever! Do you sleep with the same babe everynight or do you guys switch up sometimes? Sorry about the scale...do you think you are eating enough??

I thought K was waking up so I didnt shower..but I think shes zonked back out. bbs

Christine-I meant you ask you how John's shots went?? How are you feeling?? Did you get to the dr yet? Remember, you are an awesome mom and a rock for dealing with all you have been dealt. It will get easier. Take care of yourself!

Christine~ I"m sorry, I didn't ask about shots! You'll have to tell us how it went! Will anyone else be trained in the family on how to take care of your wee-one? I imagine that anyone who takes care of him will need some training. YOU are awesome! I wish we could go for a run together sometime....what are you doing tonight? lol

Susan~ I'm thinking that I'm not eating or sleeping enough?

I estimate that I'm eating about 1800 calories/day ---my milk production is not going down---so I think i"m doing okay there. I'm all out of veggies....we'll get more when we go into town tomorrow.

I estimate that I"m burning about 600-900 calories/day exercising. I've read that your body uses 500 cal/baby nursing...but that seems like an over-exaggeration to me.

I think I might try to work on putting a few more boxes together for eBay. I"m not making much $ on them...but I'm getting rid of them, so I guess that's nice? I might just donate the earnings to St Judes or something?

Mel- that workout room has me drooling. i work out in the family room and hide everything in the closet, so if you get out a jacket, you have crap falling on your head! I am popping the go wear fit in the mail tomorrow, it is pouring here and i do not want to lug the kids around in the rain. You are an evercise machine, way to go. it has motivated me a ton. i am now runniing in the morning and doing insanity and a cathe video during the kids naps. i am feeling great. i cannot run this week because of the rain, so that is no good...
Jen- glad that you feel good about the care situation. as for the fenugreek, yes it works. like mel said, though, you will smell like maple syrup. i still cannot go near a waflle or pancake because of it. increasing the frequency of pumping helps too.
allison- so glad to hear you are around and well. how is drew?
susan- i hear you on the sweets. i can do so well on eating and then toffee lands in front of me and i cannot get enough.
the shots went well, but there were some hiccups along the way. being new to the area, our pediatrician choice was rushed. anyhow, we are about to switch to a special ped, called a concierge pediatrician. they only have 100 patients and you pay a fee monthly. essentially they are at your beck and call 24 hours a day, which we need for john. the old ped, who we are still seeing during the transition knows nothing about hemophilia, so i got pretty riled up yesterday when she forgot about how to do the shots, etc. i am glad that my hubby and I are knoeledgeable. someone asked if anyone else will be trained, probably not. we have no family near here and most people we have talked to are terrified about the process. maybe someday. hae to run, got to drag the trash cans to the curb. yuck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.