first trimester weight gain

Beets

Cathlete
Hello all,
I am in my ninth week of pregnancy and have not put on any weight yet--is this normal and is it okay? I have my first prenatal appointment on July 9th so I will find out if this is okay but in the meantime was wondering what other people's experiences have been. I have not been exercising a whole lot--maybe 3-4 times per week or as much as the nausea will let me. I am eating about 1800 calories per day--sometimes less, sometimes a little more--depending again on the nausea. I hope I am not jeopardizing my baby's health because i have not gained any weight yet.

Hi Beets,
I personally did not gain any weight at all until I was in my 14th week of pregnancy and have been at the low end for most of it. When I asked my doctor, she said it was different for everyone and some people put on alot of weight right of the bat or same gained weight later. This is my third pregnancy and I always tend to put it on in the last few months. My doctor was not worried in the least about my lack of weight gain ( she knew I was working out and eating well). Hope this helps put your mind at ease a bit.
Take care

Hi Beets: I only gained 3 lbs by my 11th week (which is great for me....with baby #1 I had gained 12 by now!) But I am working out and watching my diet this time.

So, you are fine. You might see a few lbs at your first appt, but better to not gain too much now because it will come later!

Take care of yourself and the little one.

Becky

Thanks for your quick responses! It is a relief to know that I don't necessarily have to put on weight so early in order for everything to be fine. I am a first timer and I am nervous about everything. It is amazing how you have to think twice about things that you do now, and things that you want to eat. I was going to clean my shower with Lestoil this morning but it has petroleum distillates in it so I figured I better not breathe that in! I have read to avoid deli meats during pregnancy to avoid possible listeria contamination. Can't reach for that bottle of aspirin when I get a headache now...no caffeine, no artificial sweeteners, AAAAGGGHHH! It can get a little overwhelming. Anyway, thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.