Experienced Moms: what to buy???

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Hi Ladies! I don't post very often, so I will give a little update. I'm now 18 weeks with my first. The unofficial ultrasound I had yesterday said it will be a girl!!! The official ultrasound is tomorrow morning.

My problem is this: with so many different baby products on the market, I get completely overwhelmed. For example: what do all think in better: an infant car seat and then buy new as needed or a convertible car seat? Should I just buy a jogging stroller or will I need a jogging stroller and regular stroller? I really love the Arms Reach bassinets, but someone suggested I just use a pack and play in the beginning. Any suggestions?

So aside from those questions, what do you ladies find to be absolute necessities? What tips/tricks have you learned that make your life and baby's life easier that you wish someone had told you?

Thanks for your in put!

PS. I would love to join the checkin, but I feel like I don't get on here enough to be a regular contributor!

My list...

First of all, you don't need 95% of what they sell for babies.

What I found essential in the beginning:
Car seat (obviously)
Stroller
Baby sling
Waterproof pads (various sizes)
Cloth diapers (useful for burp cloths, etc.)
Something portable to put them in during the day -- sort of a recliner
Baby monitor
Glider rocker (good for feedings)

Later on, I needed:
High chair
Bouncy thing (exersaucer or bouncer to hang from doorway)
Crib
Lightweight stroller (loved the Citi-lite)
Pack-and-play

Of course you'll need clothing and diapers (they grow fast when they're young), but there is just so much stuff that you don't need! Save your money -- you don't need the diaper-wipe warmer! DH bought absolutely everything you possibly could, and I found that much of it was rarely or never used. Don't feel overwhelmed by the pressure to buy stuff.

I hope this helps.

i HIGHLY recommend the ergo carrier. www.ergo.com. I have 3 babies and didn't find out about the ergo until my last child. This is the only sling that NEVER hurt my back! I've had them all!

babies are as expensive or as inexpensive as you make them. I know that being your first baby that you want it all, but really...you don't need it! I wish people had told me to buy everything (toy wise-never buy a used car seat!) on craigslist! I got basically new toys for half off the new price!

Here is what we use on a daily basis for my 10 month old:

car seat (we have an alpha omega-which I highly recommend!)
clothes (don't buy too much ahead, they grow in odd spurts sometimes)
diapers-can never have too many diapers and wipes!
Exersaucer- cost about $80 new and I got it from craigslist for $20.

That's it...oh...and food! I also recommend skipping a normal highchair and going for a booster high chair that sits in a normal chair at your table. The normal high chair takes up so much room!

You'll do great!! Good Luck!!
Jessica

First of all, you don't need 95% of what they sell for babies.

What I found essential in the beginning:
Car seat (obviously)
Stroller
Baby sling
Waterproof pads (various sizes)
Cloth diapers (useful for burp cloths, etc.)
Something portable to put them in during the day -- sort of a recliner
Baby monitor
Glider rocker (good for feedings)

Later on, I needed:
High chair
Bouncy thing (exersaucer or bouncer to hang from doorway)
Crib
Lightweight stroller (loved the Citi-lite)
Pack-and-play

Of course you'll need clothing and diapers (they grow fast when they're young), but there is just so much stuff that you don't need! Save your money -- you don't need the diaper-wipe warmer! DH bought absolutely everything you possibly could, and I found that much of it was rarely or never used. Don't feel overwhelmed by the pressure to buy stuff.

I hope this helps.

I totally agree with you which is why I'm asking other moms! And even though it's my first I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I will never use. And don't get me started on the diaper wipe warmer! Unless I lived in Alaska in an igloo I don't see this being a necessity!

And I do think there is too much pressure to buy stuff. And not just stuff, but the best stuff! I can barely read pregnancy magazines for this very reason!

i HIGHLY recommend the ergo carrier. www.ergo.com. I have 3 babies and didn't find out about the ergo until my last child. This is the only sling that NEVER hurt my back! I've had them all!

babies are as expensive or as inexpensive as you make them. I know that being your first baby that you want it all, but really...you don't need it! I wish people had told me to buy everything (toy wise-never buy a used car seat!) on craigslist! I got basically new toys for half off the new price!

Here is what we use on a daily basis for my 10 month old:

car seat (we have an alpha omega-which I highly recommend!)
clothes (don't buy too much ahead, they grow in odd spurts sometimes)
diapers-can never have too many diapers and wipes!
Exersaucer- cost about $80 new and I got it from craigslist for $20.

That's it...oh...and food! I also recommend skipping a normal highchair and going for a booster high chair that sits in a normal chair at your table. The normal high chair takes up so much room!

You'll do great!! Good Luck!!
Jessica

I'm interested in the ergo carrier, but the link took me to some company website. I'll have to search for this. Craigslist is a great idea!

My Zoey LOVES her bouncy chair. It was all she would sleep in for quite a while! Some babies like vibration and some like rocking. Mine hated her swing but loved her bouncie.

I HIGHLY recommend the Miracle Blanket. It really is amazing. My daughter sleeps so well in it. I started using it at about 2 months. Before then I used those other swaddlers with velcro and they did not work as well.

Like I mentioned, my DD likes vibration, so I have a crib soother vibration unit under her mattress. It vibrates when I first put her down and if she cries, it starts up again. That, combined with her jungle mobile, help her put herself to sleep, at only 3 months!

We like the zipper sleepers, some people like the snap ones. I seem to always mis-snap them, so the zipper ones are much better for me for middle of the night changes.

Oh, and Kate, I second the wipe warmer.

Favorite pacifiers: MAM. My DD hates those soothies.

As for sleeping, do you have space to simply put a crib in your bedroom? That's what we're doing. We started out with my bed directly against it so that I could just roll over, sit up and pick her up. Now there's 2 feet between the two beds. (I'm working my way to having her in her own room...she'd probably be ready now but I'm not;))

We have an infant carseat and a stroller in a travel system. When they're super little (up until 6 months) you aren't supposed to use a jogger because of lack of head control. The only way my LO can stroll is in that travel system (her head control is good now, but I just don't feel comfortable with her not in her carseat yet).

If you have a friend or relative who would let you borrow some of these items to try out, you could save a lot of money. Like MDBecky said, your baby might not like certain things. It would stink to drop $50 on something you'll never use.

I used a Pack n Play for the first 4 months, using the bassinet feature for DD. Then we moved her to her room in the crib.

Other things we found useful:
-a rocker/glider with an ottoman for you and DH
-bouncy or vibrating seat
-a swing (I did the travel swing instead of the full size one -- I could put it on the floor or on the table (until she started moving a lot LOL))
-baby monitor
-a baby bathtub
-SwaddleMe blanket
-Snap n Go stroller frame -- this was great for the car!! The infant car seat sits on the frame and straps on. So lightweight and convenient, with a big basket underneath, too.
-Jumperoo -- DD loved this!! It's like a jolly jumper, but it's floor mounted instead of door frame mounted. Fisher Price makes them.
-Exercauser -- we kept this in the bathroom, so she'd have a safe place to be "busy" when we were in there
-this sleeping box called the "Snuggle Nest" -- mine didn't make soothing sounds :) This was great during the first couple months. You can use it anywhere (in your bed, on the couch, on the floor), and it's really handy if you're staying in a hotel (because you have to lug enough gear! The box lets you leave Pack N Play at home.). http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393694

And get a deluxe cart cover, one that covers the sides of the seat too! I loved this!!

When you pick a stroller, get something that is comfortable for you. I let my mom talk me into one because of the brand. But it doesn't have a tray with a drink holder, which drives me NUTS!

Last edited:
Forgot to add...

Check out the book Baby Bargains. The authors also have a website with reviews from real users. I found it to be a great resource!

Oh, and we skipped the Diaper Genie. When you open it to change the bag, it stinks, too!! I just threw the stinky diapers in the outside trash, and took out the wet diapers daily.

ETA: One other thing...if you're planning to breastfeed, check out the Breast Friend pillow (isn't the name hilarious?!). It provides better support than the Boppie pillow, for breastfeeding. The Boppie works okay, but the BreastFriend helps with positioning.

Last edited:
My FIL is in the baby stuff business, so he's been a great resource for what's necessary, and what's crap! :)

-Pack N Play
-Exersauce is KEY for when they're a little older.
-I loved the Boppy Newborn Lounger. DS took every nap on that all day for the first 3 mos of his life! I'd put it on the floor while I worked out, and then I didn't have to worry about listening for him.
-cooler for storing bottles overnight in the babies room. our bottle warmer has one on the back.
-rocker for the babies room
-monitor - we use a video one that we got for free from FIL - LIFESAVER!
-stoller system, then portable stroller ( highly recommend the Quinny Zapp!)
-a stock of pacifiers - we have about 10 all over the house
-bouncy seat - my guy loved the vibration
-cloth diapers for burp clothes are awesome!
-changing pad and cover
-tub
-play mat for tummy time and entertainment

These were all parts of my daily life for the first 6 mos with DS. He started crawling at 6 mos, so a lot of that went out the window after that point! :)

Thank you ladies so much for the advice. I'm actually taking notes on this stuff. I really want to be as frugal as possible yet still have the things that will make my life and baby's life easier. There are so many things I've wandered about and the tips are awesome.

We had our official ultrasound today and everything looked great! She was moving so much even Cathe would be proud!

I will be registering soon, but have avoided this up until now because I found it so overwhelming! This makes me feel more prepared and at least like I've done my "homework".

Have a good days ladies!!

I had my first baby girl 7 weeks ago - congrats by the way!

What i have found to be essential is a Boppy nursing pillow. it has been a life saver and helps hold the baby closer to you. She also sleeps on it ALL the time

Also a breast pump if you are breast feeding, it helps to relieve engorgement when baby isnt hungry and helps to have milk stored away in fridge or freezer

I also love my Graco Quattro Catalina car seat and stroller. The stroller is very smooth riding and easy to Manuever and is a good hight

My baby LOVES her baby swing - i got the fisher price papsan with the bees, gender neutral Its the only thing she ishappy in . She likes to be held a lot and sometimes mommy needs free hands. She swings away in it and even lets me workout for an hour while watching me/dozing off from the swing.

HTH in addition to everyone elses input

I am pregnant with my first too! I have been taking careful notes for the past couple of years from other mommas, though. Here are some smaller things that you may not have thought of...

Lap pads - can be used as a changing pad, but mostly keeps leaky diapers from needing a complete crib sheet change.
Fingernail clippers with magnifying glass.
Thermometer - read reviews carefully before you decide if you want rectal or ear.
You need a nasal aspirator (booger sucker), but will probably receive one from the hospital.
Boudreax's Butt Paste is highly recommended as a diaper rash cream.
Don't forget to register for the boring basics: nursing pads, breast milk storage bags (if you are nursing), diapers, wipes, sheets (at least 3), towels, washcloths, blankets (I do not know anyone who thought she had too many).
Be prepared to have something that is highly recommended and that you know is a wonderful product... that your baby hates.

Buy as much as you can find from craigslist, garages sales, family, friends, but do NOT get a used carseat or crib mattress.

Most people I know loved having an infant carseat, because you do not have to buckle/unbuckle your baby to get her in and out of the car. It also provides a good place to leave her when you are at another person's house without needing to bring in a bouncy seat.

HTH,

I just had my third little boy in October, and the things we used over and over were:

--Sleep blankets that the baby wears like a zip-up nightgown. I'm so scared of SIDS that I don't use any blankets in the bed. These wearable blankets are great. You can get them with full sleeves or without sleeves (for warmer nights).

--A bouncey/vibrating seat.

--A "bath bear" (less than $5 at Wal-Mart or Babies R Us). It's a sponge-like baby size bear pad that you can put your baby on to sponge bathe her before her belly button heals, and then you can put it in the infant tub while she's small and slippery OR the kitchen sink to cushion her while you bathe her. I've used them with each of my kids and they are GREAT.

--An infant carseat first, and then a convertible carseat for 6+ months. (The convertible carseat will swallow the baby at first, and I had big babies.)

--A play gym for the floor. It's like a blanket with these bars that go over it and little toys dangle from the bars for the baby to kick and grab at.

--I have found it's NOT necessary to purchase a full-sized high chair. The ones that strap into a dining room chair are fine. And they're only about $30. I used the same one with my first two kids and will use it with Charlie too.

--A pack-n-play.

--A cool-air humidifier. It keeps the baby's nasal passages from drying and his nose from getting stuffy, AND it acts as a sound machine with nice white noise. We have one in our room, where he sleeps now, and I've also found it has helped me too with my skin and nasal passages (everything kind of dries out when you have a baby due to hormones).

--A sound machine that has white noise sound on it. My boys all fell asleep to a noise machine (or humidifier) when they were babies. Now my oldest two listen to books on CD or lullaby music when they fall asleep.

--Silicone pacifiers, not the brown-nipple ones. The brown nipple ones get stickier and stickier with each washing.

--A basket for your dishwasher to wash small baby things... i.e. baby spoons, pacifiers, bottles/nipples... etc.

--An exercise ball. I know this one is probably something you already own, but it's SO great to sit on and hold the baby when the baby is fussy. You can gently bounce or rock back and forth on it, and it really soothes the baby and gives your legs a gentle workout.

--Lanolin if you breast feed.

--A jog stroller if you jog AND a regular stroller. You can get a jog stroller very cheap at Academy Sports. I got mine for $80. (I have found that the jog stroller doesn't round corners very well for just regular strolls.)

--I second the fingernail clippers with magnifying glass, but you'll also need baby fingernail files for those first few weeks when baby's nails are very fragile and little.

--I have a rectal thermometer for the baby, but I LOVE my older boys' temporal thermometer. I'd invest in both.

--Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls to keep the belly button clean/dry it out.

Those are my top picks. All are pretty cheap, and you'll use them with future babies (if you're planning for more).

Good luck!! And congrats!!!

Last edited:
thought i would add a few things. first (and i promise the rest of my post will NOT be a downer lol), there is a huge difference between want and need with a baby, said from experience... i had my first very young, was seriouly broke, and didnt even know that i "needed" a whole bunch of things. i had a carseat, stroller, backpack, crib, a bunch of clothes. everything hand-me-downs. times were tough but my baby was just fine with what we had. now with my second, 15 years later, there are many things that i can afford and have decided i want... i guess i just wanted to reassure you that most of the products we think we need are just a part of the marketing aimed at women/moms and there is so little we really, truly, need. i'm not judging you... or anyone else... i want these things, too! but reflecting on my experience with my first has really helped me keep things in perspective.

that said... here are the things i used the heck out of in the first few months:
arms reach co-sleeper - allowed me to stay in bed every time my newborn wanted to nurse at night, kept diapers/wipes/clothes in side pockets
lanolin for sore nipples
comfy nursing bras - my fave was bravado original plus style
ultimate baby wrap - same style as a maya or k'tan or bazillion other brands
breast pump - to relieve engorgement and start storing some milk
baby bathtub with a sling or other kind of newborn insert (like the bath bear stephanie mentioned) - newborn babies are slippery when wet! it can be pretty difficult to try to give your newborn a bath by yourself and the insert thing helped me immensely
all-terrain stroller - 3-wheel type, smaller wheels than a jogger, takes bumps and all kinds of terrain easily, most ATS can accept an infant carseat now but you may have to buy an attachment. used this daily for long walks and now also light jogs without the carseat. but if you are a serious runner this would not suffice.
carseat frame - simple/light stroller thing that accepts your infant carseat, great for mall trips and such
a ton of one-piece outfits with feet - they are the easiest way to dress your baby IMO
my coffeemaker - LOL!!!

my baby is now 7 months, and here are things im loving now that i didnt need at first:
exersaucer - awesome awesome
crib toys - my JJ will sometimes play for 30 mins still in the crib while i get my coffee ready, use the bathroom, fix his breakfast, etc... so great!
soft quilted blankets - we have hw floors with a thin area rug so i use these all over to allow him to play, sit up, fall over and all without worrying about his precious head!
highchair - i have a full-sized one. jj plays in it while i cook and loves to interact with me up at that level
new nursing bras - my size is completely different now than in the first few months pp, i needed to be refitted and quite honestly i wanted to feel more like a woman again and bought more attractive looking ones
my blender - not a new item purchased for baby but i use it every week to make and freeze baby food

one last thing:
im usually a huge advocate of local products and stores. but you never know what your baby will like until he is with you so for larger and/or very subjective purchases like sling/carrier, swing, bouncer, co-sleeper, stroller, etc. i highly recommend using BRU or walmart or some other store with a very liberal return policy. save your receipts and you can always bring something back! at BRU, if its on your registry you can even return without the receipt.

HTH... information overload maybe?! and i hope i dont offend with my want vs. need comments...

wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.