exercise and nursing....

AmyWI

My son is almost 5 weeks old....I haven't done any exercise (other than carry him around and pick up the house, etc) but I have lost most of the pregnancy weight. Before I start working out/lifting weights again I'd LOVE to hear from anyone who exercises and also exclusively breastfeeds or pumps. I don't even think my exercise bras will fit......any recommendations?

What sport bras work well? (I'm larger-chested)

What exercises are comfortable to do?

When did you start exercising again?

I do cardio/weight lifting out of my home to dvds and I would love to go back to my routine but it's hard with a newborn and lack of sleep, nursing...etc I worked out up to 2 days before going into labor so I was very healthy during my pregnancy. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Hi! I also am exclusively breastfeeding. I have a 4 week old. I too worked out thru the pregnancy and up to the day I delivered.
I began working out week 2. Mainly walking and light weights. No abs.
This week I did Kick, punch, and crunch, cardio and weights (pre mix), and a low intensity step. I tried a more jumpy video, but that was still hard to do (and my bladder control isn't the greatest either).
My cardio breathing actually felt good, the only problem was my bladder! UGH! I did a little abs, but not much.
In regards to breastfeeding, I try to feed my little one before i workout. if she doesnt feed fully, i pump out the rest and save it. Emptying the breast feels best when working out. I use a very supportive sports bra. it was expensive, but worth it. i like Title Nine (titlenine.com), they have many good bras. im buster too! I also play soccer ( beginning in a few months) and with all the active running, it still holds me in place.

Anything lying on your stomach, may not be comfortable and hurt the breast. I personally avoid lying flat on the breast.

This is my second child, and I breastfeed my first for over a year! UGH! But, I loved it. And it shouldn't stop you from your normal activities, just a little planning required.

Go with how you feel, and of course your energy for that day. A good bra is necessary though for those milk producing breast!

Congrats!

Hello
I'm also breastfeeding exclusively and my daughter turned 6 weeks on Saturday. I just started working out last week, I had mastitis week 4 which really was hard on me, and this week is really the first I've felt decent working out.

At 2 weeks I started doing planks, on my knees, because they were really hard, and light walking with her in the stroller. I haven't done any Cathe yet, I started with a post-pregnancy Tracey something DVD and am also doing a workout I found through runner's world to help me get ready to run again. My workouts though are sometimes completed over the course of a day depending how things are going. I'm really still surprised how weak I felt after having her, I have friends that were back exercising by week 2, but I just couldn't and I worked out throughout my pregnancy with Cathe, pilates and spinning until the week before I had her.

I'm trying Champion sports bras that I wore when pregnant, but am not really doing a lot of jumping/high impact yet so may try some other brands to see what feels best.

I also nurse or pump prior to working out and havent' done any exercises lying on my stomach.

Hope any of this helps and congratulations and good luck!

Like others have already said, I would highly suggest nursing your baby right before you work out. I also had to wear a bra and a sports bra. That really helped a lot wearing both! I did not wear a nursing bra when I worked out because there's just not enough support, I just wore a regular bra with the sports bra. I did find it difficult to get the workouts in but my daughter is now 19 months and I can tell you now that it was easier to exercise when she was a newborn vs. now when she is into everything (including trying to get my weights and climb on the step!) and doesn't like to go in the pack n' play. I do a lot of 30 min. workouts! I always feel better when I workout though because even though sometimes I feel too tired to do it, I end up having more energy afterwards. Best of luck to you!

Ashley

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.