crib bumpers

sunnydelite

Cathlete
i went to a seminar yesterday and the speaker said you shouldn't use bumpers in the cribs due to SIDS.
so i was just wondering how many people are using/going to use bumpers in their cribs.

We got bumpers for #1 - and the set was pretty pricey, too, I have to say! I think it was on the crib about 2 days when my baby got her little arm stuck under it - luckily I was there to free her, but all I could think about was what if it had been her head? Newborns don't move all that much, but you just don't know when they're going to start, and I figured, after that, why take a chance. I didn't know about the SIDS issue, but I could see it would be a problem if they turned their little faces into the bumper and maybe couldn't breathe as well...

Despite the cuteness factor and money spent, we got rid of the bumper set and didn't even think about it for #2 or #3. Just my thoughts though - I do tend to be a worrier!

When DS was in the portacrib he LOVED to sleep with head turned to one side and his face up againt the bumper so that his nose slightly flattened out (but he could still breathe fine). At first we worried and would move him away but he would wriggle right back...soon enough we realized that this is what he liked and he could breathe just fine so we let him be...

Anything is possible...accidents happen...I guess as a mom you just have to choose what you will allow to bother you/worry you and what you won't otherwise you'll go insane!

JMO! :)

Best of luck no matter what you choose to do!

I actually heard that when I had my son 5 years ago. I took the bumpers off his crib but he never slept in it anyway. LOL I don't think I'll be putting them in this baby's crib either. I am such a worrier too.

Never used them, with #1 or #2 and I won't use them for this baby either. I am a worrier as well.

I have never heard you should not use them and bought a set that included them and have already installed it. I was more worried about the baby hitting it's face on the hard crib. If it is old enough to roll over to the bumper and have it's face there, isn't it old enough to move it's face?

I am by no means trying to be difficult about this!! I just really had not heard anything like this until just now.

I have also heard that crib bumpers could possibly be a SIDS hazard. That being said, I did use them with my now 2 1/2 year old daughter and recently installed them in the crib for baby #2.

I think if you are going to use them, it is important that they aren't too fluffy and have many ties to secure them to the sides of the crib. The crib bumper we have fits very flat and tight against the sides of the crib. With my daughter, she never moved near the crib sides until she was several months old. We removed the bumper when she started trying to play with it.

leighann,
i didn't take your question as being difficult at all, it's always perfectly fine to ask questions. check out the website at www.sids.org. or just do a search for sids and you will be able to read for yourself that it is recommended to not have anything soft in the bed with baby. some "experts" include bumpers, others do not. so i was just wondering what others were doing.

kristi, that's an excellent suggestion. now i just have to check out the bumper that goes with our set to see how flat or fluffy it is. if it's too fluffy then i will most likely leave it off as we've already done the room using this specific theme and are not going to change. so have you completed your nursery as of yet? now that you are further along have you started buying pink??:)

Thanks! I never know how things come across. I will check out that site. The bumper we have is not very fluffy at all and had a ton of ties. I guess I will just play it by ear as the little one gets bigger.

Yikes! I hadn't even heard of this, and already have fabric to make a crib bumper. Guess I won't fill it with nice, fluffy stuffing. Thanks for the info!!

My daughter's crib has a bumper and we've had no problems with it. She was in a co-sleeper in our room for her first 4 months before we moved her to the crib so she was a little bigger. We made sure it was not a fluffy bumper and that it's tied securely and properly so it doesn't flop into the mattress area. I'll use it again because I prefer having a soft barrier there. During vacation travel we had to borrow a crib. It didn't have a bumper and despite the 2 3/8 spacing of the crib bars, she got her foot stuck in it and it twisted when she tried to turn over. We made a bumper for it out of blankets after that, weaving them in and out of the bars and she had no problem the rest of the trip. In my opinion, a perfectly safe crib would need to be made solid as high as a bumper would go, then start the bars.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.