Cathe DVDs safe to use while pregnant?

mae1866

Hi Everyone,

I just found out last week that I am pregnant - in my 9th week this week. It's my first pregnancy and I have been a runner for 14 years. I know it's ok to keep running but have any of you continued to use Cathe's dvds? If you have, please let me know which workouts! Thanks for your help! Joanna

Hi Joanna - just wanted to say congratulations!:D Sorry, I cannot comment on your question, I discovered Cathe after I became a grandma. I'm sure one of the members of the Educated Crowd can answer.
Take care!

Talk to your OB and see what they say. Mine was fine with continuing, as long as I maintained a careful heartrate, keeping myself from gasping for air, and listened to my body. It gets harder as you get bigger, so the body slows you down, despite even the best intentions! I really like KPC, Low Impact Circuit, and Muscle Max.

I think as long as you don't over do it (like said above out of breath). And are careful with your balance as the belly throws you off and your joints will get looser. After a certain point they don't want you to be on your back just in case. That is what made it hard for me cause of all the work done on the back. But you can either skip it or modify it in some way.

I'd continue as able,....just be careful not to become dehydrated or anaerobic (no heavy breathing).

Congrats on your pregnancy, we'd love to have to see you at weekly check-ins. :)

I asked this same question when I found out I was pregnant. :)

I still use many of Cathe's DVDs, I just keep them low impact now. Also, I just use the platform of my step and no risers, and I lift much lighter than before pregnancy (I put STS aside after pregnancy week 7). As others said, just modify and do what feels right to your body and fitness level. Now at the beginning of my third trimester, I typically do just 30-40 minutes of Cathe cardio at one time, and I stop if I get out of breath or get a cramp. This weekend, I did the low-impact timesaver Kick Max premix and it was perfect.

The only DVDs I have stopped doing until after pregnancy (because to me, modifying them would be no fun) are Boot Camp, Muscle Endurance, High Step Challenge, Maximum Intensity Cardio, and Slow and Heavy. Other DVDs like Imax 3, for example, have premixes that work for me (I would never attempt the blasts in my pregnancy state :) ). The Imax 3 premix of just the step portions is a good pregnancy workout for me using just the platform. Oh, and I find Super Sets, Push Pull, and the Pure Strength series when modified to be the perfect length of strength workouts for me.

Finally, I stopped doing abs/crunches although I read somewhere that you could still do crunches on a stability ball (that doesn't feel right to me though), and after the first trimester, I avoided exercises flat on my back. For example, I still do chest presses but use a tilted bench or stability ball so I'm not flat.

Have a great day,
Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.