Can walking bring on labor??

amynicole

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-02 AT 12:56PM (Est)[/font][p]I am due in 16 days and am wondering if there is any truth to the fact that walking can bring on labor. I walked and walked at the end of my pregnancies with my first 2 kids and had one 6 days early and the other 8 days early. I have wondered if the walking helped me. I am SO ready to have this baby now and was wondering if it is worth my time to put in extra time on the treadmill. I figure it certainly can't hurt.

My doctor told me yesterday my cervix has softened and started to efface so that is a very good sign things could happen soon. but then again, they could take a while.

It is SO hot here in New York and I am so ready to meet my new baby :)

Amy,

I am due in 12 days and DH & I go for a daily walk. My other two children were born 2 days after their due dates & I did little walking when expecting them. At my Friday appt, I was already 2 cm dilated which I've never done before prior to labor so maybe the walking is helping. It is already miserable here in South Carolina also. Come on out babies!

Windy

Windy, this is so unrelated but...how bad is the heat? I'll be in Charleston 6/14-6/18. I was there in July a few years back and I'm from Chicago so I didn't really mind the mugginess...

Hi Amynicole! I don't know that it really makes all that much of a difference. I say if your up for a walk, then walk but don't put in the extra mileage if your not. I'm thinking about you. Keep cool and keep us posted:)!

Windy,

Thats great- hopefully things will happen soon with you!

Cathe, thanks so much for taking the time to answer! I think it is so great that you take the time to personally respond to questions on your site! It makes your workouts that much more fun knowing that you care about your client/customer base :)

So I guess walking may or may not help but if I am up to it, it does feel good knowing I am doing something. I had to retire my step about 2 weeks ago because my heartrate was going through the roof all of a sudden. But I feel happy that I was able to do your step tapes up until 36 weeks. They are there and waiting for me after the baby is born. I am looking forward to getting back into weight workouts again also. I bought CTX and can't wait to try it!

I think the best way to bring on labor is to have sex... probably the last thing on your mind right now, but semen has prostaglandins, and that helps to get things going if your cervix is already labor friendly...

FWIW, that's what brought on my labor this time... I had my first contraction (and I had a fast and furious labor!!) about 10 minutes after dtd... we'd come home from a mother's day dinner, and I said, "Honey... let's get this show on the road..." Put that in the category of be careful what you wish for! :)
Susan

Hi Susan,

I laughed when I read your post because I have been researching the net all day and came to the same conclusion as your post. I would never take any herbal remedies and excercise seems to be anecdotal for bringing on labor. My doctor said this week the baby is ready whenever my body is ready.

When DH came home I told him (not asked, but told him) that we are going to have sex daily until the baby comes. He got this big smile on his face and told me that whatever it takes he is willing to help me- I think he was kind of flabergasted that I was actually asking him since for the past few months I have been pushing him away- LOL!!!

Hmmm, we will see if this works!! Sounds like I better have my suitcase packed before we go to bed :)

I have to respond because when I had my first baby (almost 6 yrs ago!) I was soooo ready for her to come out as well. So I bit the bullet and broke down and had sex--let me tell you at this stage I was huge, uncomfortable and it was the last thing I wanted--but 4 hours later my water broke. The only problem is my body wasn't physically ready meaning I was not dilated or thinned or anything and by the time I had delivered (24hrs) all the amniotic fluid had come out and the baby came out "thru a dry canal"--let me tell you this was extremely painful. Therefore with my second I let things happen naturally and labor was only bad for about 7 hours and after 3 pushes out she came.
I never really did the walking thing because my first was born in december and my second in april and in NY it is pretty much rainy at that time of year. Good luck and as we all know the baby cannot stay in there forever!!

Sorry - just saw your post. It's been in the upper 90's the last few days but this weekend is supposed to be a little cooler. Enjoy your stay!

Windy

Susan, how many weeks along were you when you delivered on mother day after you decided you had enough?

Leggs, that sounds awful! I know that I am already completely effaced and I have a history of fast labors so I am willing to take the risk. But that must have been really uncomfortable for you. How far along were you when you gave birth with the 24 hour labor??

Well, here it is the next day, and nothing :(

I'll let you all know when the baby comes :)

I was 5 days early---now that I look back delayed gratification would be better!!!!! Labor will come--probably when you least expect it!!! We will all be hear waiting with anticipation!!

OK, still pregant here, sex is not working, neither is walking. My OB yesterday told me if I don't have the baby by the 28th he will induce me because the baby is getting really big. I'm already pregnant longer than I was with my first 2. I wish he would come out already!!!!

It was shortly after a long walk that I went into labor with my first baby... It definitely can't hurt if you're up for it!

amynicole...

I'm still pregnant too but my other two were both two days after their due dates & my due date is not until the 24th. Why can't one come early? I plan on lots of walking this weekend. Good luck.

Windy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.