Can I have an opinion??

MARY1616

Cathlete
I just found out that I am pregnant and I wanted to tell my family about my pregnancy when we are all together, however the next time we will be together is in 2 weeks at my nephews wedding. This wedding is a little different because the ceremony is on one day with a bbq following and the reception is on another. I wanted to announce at the bbq that I was expecting. My question is...is it wrong to tell people about my news on the day on the wedding? I dont want to take away from my nephews day but the next time I will see everyone will not be until Thanksgiving. Thanks for any advice!!

I think a big part of it has to do with your relationship that you have with your nephew and his bride-to-be. My husband's cousin announced her pregnancy at my engagement party. They asked me first if I would mind (they asked at the party), and I was so happy for her I was glad to let her announce it. But a wedding itself may be a different story. There is so much work that goes into it - if the bride feels the whole process (ceremony and reception) is her big day and day to shine, you may not want to take that away from her.

Will there be a point where you all will be together AFTER the reception? Will there be a next day brunch or something like that? Or maybe at the hotel? After the reception it may be a lot less of an issue, since all the big events with the new couple will be over..

And by the way... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

i agree with ruppie. maybe you could find a minute to call and speak with your nephew and his fiance to see how they would feel. you wouldn't want to stir up any resentment because the bride feels you took away her spotlight. good luck and congratulations!!

I agree with ruppie. Talk to your nephew and his fiance first and get their reaction first.

Congratulations!

When are you due? Is this your first?

Thank you all for your advice. I am due in april and this is my 2nd. I have a ds who is almost 2. I will talk with my nephew and his wife and see what their feelings are.

Hi Mary.

My sister got pregnant a few months before I got married. She chose to keep it a secret so that she wouldn't "steal my thunder" by telling everyone she was expecting on or around my wedding day. That was her choice. Personally, I would not have minded at all had she let the secret out but that's me...I don't know how your nephew or his wife-to-be would react. Hard to say...

Mary, I didn't tell my family until I was about 12 weeks along. Depending on how close you are to your family, you may want to wait until 2nd trimester.
On the other hand, if you were my sister I certainly wouldn't mind you telling people at the bbq. You must be a very sensitive & compassionate person to even care. Kuddos to you!!!!
Good advice above.
Good luck. :)

**Melanie**
baby to be 11/28/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

http://lilypie.com/days/051128/2/4/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.