Buying Clothes at Consignment Stores

kristi

Cathlete
Does anyone else buy children's clothes at consignment shops? What do you look for? I ask because every spring and fall for two days only a Methodist church here in town hosts "Lil' Lambs Closet" which has tons of clothes of all sizes, shoes, toys, car seats, all sorts of baby things like swings, strollers, etc. Today was the first day for their fall event and I found a lot of great deals that I don't think I would have found otherwise. I find that I buy a lot of DS's church/special occassion clothes at consignment shops due to the great bargains on name brand clothes and also the unique finds I come across.

I haven't bought any kids clothes yet, but I've found some great deals on maternity clothes at the consignment store in town. And in January, they'll get a whole bunch of new inventory when I take mine in!

I went to one consignment shop in my neighborhood, but she was asking almost as much as stuff was new, so I just bought it new.

I do check out Goodwill every couple of weeks or so. A lot of times there is nothing cute, but occaisionally I really score and get nice stuff cheap!! (I love it when that happens:7 :7 :7 )

edited to say that we get a lot of stuff second hand. My MIL garage-sales all summer and it is such a blessing. She has good taste and clothes my kids in designer (mostly) clothes extremely cheaply. She also shops clearance sales, going so far as to call various stores to find what she wants at the price she wants. She is amazing--Now if she would only shop for me:p :p--but really I am very grateful for her hard work.

Maggie

I am the ultimate bargain shopper. I check goodwill, salvation army and the local children's consignment shop weekly. I used bought most of my maternity clothes used. I look for name brands and usually buy my daughter her current size or guess at sizes upto a year away.

Oh I'm the resale queen. Most of my clothes are resale items, and a ton of DS's are as well. In my area we have a Once Apon A Child resale chain that is really great. Google it to see if you have one by you - I know they have lots of locations but don't know in what areas, but I don't think their only in Missouri, but I could be wrong. I get name brand stuff that I know the sizes work for DS. I buy resale, consignment and at yard sales.

I buy most of my baby clothes second-hand. Right now summer clothing is discounted, and I've purchased baby clothes for next summer already at 2-5 dollars each! I have to admit I love shoppping for baby clothes! :)

has anyone also tried ebay? they have huge lots of clothes new and used for great bargain prices if you win the bid! i have really made out...i am in no mood to go around to yard sales and look for stuff. i'd rather point, click and have the items arrive at my doorstep:)

>has anyone also tried ebay? they have huge lots of clothes
>new and used for great bargain prices if you win the bid! i
>have really made out...i am in no mood to go around to yard
>sales and look for stuff. i'd rather point, click and have the
>items arrive at my doorstep:)

Yes! I have made some steals on maternity clothes with ebay. I agree on the "point, click and have items arrive at my doorstep." I've had really good luck searching for brands that I like, and adding NWT (New With Tags) to the search terms. It's amazing how much un-used stuff is on there.

So many great ideas! We have 2 Once Upon a Child resale chains here. I bought DS some cute things about a month ago there, as well as on clearance. However, now that he keeps outgrowing sizes so quicky I can't buy a year in advance like I was because he is getting to be unpredictable. Though with DD I will still be able to do it.

Sorry to bump this post up to the top, but I had to share my resale store experience a few days ago. $43 bucks got me mostly Ralph Lauren, Gap and Talbot's stuff: 1 turtleneck, 1 dress, 1 halloween shirt, 2 pairs of pants, 1 rugby and 1 long sleeve tee. My only advise is to stay focused when you go. Stick to the better brands and avoid anything cheap.

Julie- I go to the OUAC in Kirkwood. Which one do you use?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.