Breastfeeding & Exercise question

MelissaPC

Hi everyone!

I should (hopefully!!) be having my first baby in the next couple of weeks & I am hoping to breastfeed. When I am feeling up to working out again (postpartum), how much time should I allow between a workout and feeding? I read somewhere that you shouldn't breastfeed after a workout - but I am honestly ignorant to the whole subject!

Thanks
Melissa

If at all possible, you would almost certainly benefit from contacting your local La Leche League. They can answer your questions, give you coaching and deal with things as they come up. They probably also have a website.

Hi Melissa-
What an exciting time for you! A new baby on the way. I have never heard about time limits and breastfeeding between workouts but I can tell you that your baby will let you know. Have fun with that baby. There is nothing like a beautiful newborn or a really messy toddler! KB

Hi Melissa,

Congrats on your pregnancy! You are close to the end, that is exciting. I can only share with you my personal experience with my first baby. I didn't start sweat-producing workouts for at least two months because I had significant tearing which produced a LOT of soreness. But when I did start up again I usually would try to nurse Ben immediately before before working out to empty out my breasts as much as possible. You will be amazed at how much your milk will weigh :) I usually tried to take a shower after I worked out, but sometimes that didn't happen. Ben never seemed to mind either way. From everything I've heard you can nurse your baby right after working out. Some people just think the baby might not light the salty sweaty taste. I hope this helps you some. Enjoy nursing, it is such a special time with your baby. Heather
p.s. Don't push yourself too hard at the beginning, nursing in itself uses a lot of extra energy (count that as your exercise for a while :) )

Hi, Melissa

Congratulations on your pending arrival. My son is currently six months old. I am so excited for you.

Anyway, back to your question about breastfeeding. I read the same things,during my pregnancy, about waiting after working out to breastfeed. My experience has been though that when my son is hungry, he's hungry and wants to eat now. He does not care if I just worked out or not. I've even had to stop in the middle of my workout to feed him.

So listen to your baby and do take it easy in the beginning!

Linda

you don't have to wait at all...

You don't have to wait! This is a common myth you'll hear, but I swear it is 99% not true. I have been known to breastfeed my son during the squats and seated ab work when I'm taking or teaching a stroller exercise class... a high intensity workout that helped me to take off 43 pregnancy lbs. in 4 mos. (and I wasn't the only one in class doing so, and I frequently bfed my son when I was in the cooldown part of my prenatal/postpartum aerobics class (I did postpartum variations that were high impact, so I'd definitely gotten sweaty and was burning fat)... and when he was really young, I'd even stop in mid-jog (I'd typically do 3 miles) to plop myself down on a bench and feed my little guy (he was in the jog stroller), and then I'd continue on. You hear a lot about lactic acid being in your breast milk and affecting the taste... but you'd have to honestly be running marathons to cause your baby not to want your milk. Moderate and even heavy exercise won't be a problem for your baby -- I promise :0)

The bigger concern is either feeding the baby or expressing milk before you work out so that you don't feel so heavy in your chest, and so you don't leak milk as you exercise. Sheila always recommended nursing first and wearing two jog bras if you need to in order to deal with the extra weight.

Just remember to drink a lot of water before and after you work out and to carry water or Gatorade with you. You can get pretty dehydrated when you are nursing.
Susan

you don't have to wait at all...

You don't have to wait! This is a common myth you'll hear, but I swear it is 99% not true. I have been known to breastfeed my son during the squats and seated ab work when I'm taking or teaching a stroller exercise class... a high intensity workout that helped me to take off 43 pregnancy lbs. in 4 mos. (and I wasn't the only one in class doing so, and I frequently bfed my son when I was in the cooldown part of my prenatal/postpartum aerobics class (I did postpartum variations that were high impact, so I'd definitely gotten sweaty and was burning fat)... and when he was really young, I'd even stop in mid-jog (I'd typically do 3 miles) to plop myself down on a bench and feed my little guy (he was in the jog stroller), and then I'd continue on. You hear a lot about lactic acid being in your breast milk and affecting the taste... but you'd have to honestly be running marathons to cause your baby not to want your milk. Moderate and even heavy exercise won't be a problem for your baby -- I promise :0)

The bigger concern is either feeding the baby or expressing milk before you work out so that you don't feel so heavy in your chest, and so you don't leak milk as you exercise. Sheila always recommended nursing first and wearing two jog bras if you need to in order to deal with the extra weight.

Just remember to drink a lot of water before and after you work out and to carry water or Gatorade with you. You can get pretty dehydrated when you are nursing.
Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Oh... and then there was that...

... American pro soccer player/mom (her name is escaping me right now) who would play in games and nurse her baby during half-time.

Susan

Hi Melissa,
I breast fed both of my daughters until they were about 15 months old. Working out was never a problem. I nursed when they needed it and I never had to wait. It is great that you are going to nurse. You and your baby will benefit a great deal from it.

jogging stroller question...

Just wondering what your opinion was about jogging strollers. I thought about getting one, but was worried that it would be awkward trying to run while pushing a stroller.
Erica

I have nursed all six of my kids, still am nursing my ten month old, and have never had a problem with nursing them after workouts! They all nursed until they were 2-3years and did fine. It may be a bit discouraging at first, sometimes you get sore and such, but keep it up. It gets better and it is very rewarding! Congratulations!

RE: jogging stroller question...

I have a fairly cheap model, and I love it -- can't think of the brand name, but it was right around $100 at Babies R Us, and I noted recently that the price is still about the same. It has 16" wheels...

I don't find it to be awkward at all. I've only used it on paved surfaces, but even when I go over a crack, or across a dirt area for a short while, it rolls really well. It doesn't take tight corners at a jog that well, but I've rarely been in a situation where I've had that problem... no problem with more gradual turns... or if I am out shopping or something, I've learned to just roll it back on the back wheels a bit (very easy with a jog stroller) to make a tighter turn.

They pretty much always have a leash to wear, so the stroller won't roll away from you, and so you can either push it out ahead of you a few feet, or you can hold on to it the whole time. You get used to it very quickly.
Susan

Thanks everyone for the information and support! I feel much better now! I think I read too many articles that scare me.
Thanks again,
Melissa

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-02 AT 10:46PM (Est)[/font][p]I think Susan (Tchersue) has covered the answer to your question in great detail including the examples from our stroller classes. Thanks Susan! I had to chime in on this one anyway because I think that the misconception is very prevalent regarding exercise and breastfeeding and unfortunately many women are under the misconception that you can't exercise to "get your body back" and breastfeed at the same time. Here is some more "ammo" for you. The following is a research - based quote directly from the "Healthy Moms(R) Perinatal Fitness Instructor Training Manual" regarding the "Breastfeeding - Lactic Acid Controversy:"

Lactic Acid, Exercise and Breastmilk

"Studies now show that regular, sustained and vigorous aerobic exercise at moderate to high intensity does not alter the quality or quantity of breastmilk. Unless exercise intensity is very high (above the anaerobic threshold), there is little change in lactate levels in either maternal blood or breastmilk."

As Susan pointed out, you would have to be running at a very high intensity for quite a long time for any appreciable amount of lactic acid to accumulate. So go for it. Women DO NOT have to choose between exercising to "get your body back" and breastfeeding your baby. Enjoy this special time!

Sheila Watkins
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R)Fitness Programs
www.healthymomsfitness.com

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.