Best Cathe Workouts in Pregnancy

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
Hi, ladies, I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on best fitness workouts during pregnancy. I've been using

Low Impact Step (LIS)
Low Max
Low Impact Circuit (LIC)
Basic Step
Body Fusion

the most. I've also split workouts such as Step Jam in half and modify any jumps, but I always feel I'm cheating the workout. Body Max I and Drill Max just seem too fast for me these days.

Anyone still lift? (I started STS but stopped in my 7th week because when I lifted heavy weights, I felt I was pulling on my core/baby.)

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dawn

hi dawn! i had my 3rd in the fall. i consider myself an advanced exerciser. you have to just listen to your body. what feels right one day might not the next and maybe some days you'll have the energy for ones you hadnt previously.

towards the end i lowered my stp to no risers then had to give it up completely. i bought some leslie sansone dvds....it was nice to modify UP!:D

i did lift thru my pg except for the last cpl wks. i modified where necessary (incline for chest work) and had to take out core work, as my abs started to split. theyre all healed now tho, thank goodness!

good luck & enjoy your pg!!

Hi, ladies, I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on best fitness workouts during pregnancy. I've been using

Low Impact Step (LIS)
Low Max
Low Impact Circuit (LIC)
Basic Step
Body Fusion

the most. I've also split workouts such as Step Jam in half and modify any jumps, but I always feel I'm cheating the workout. Body Max I and Drill Max just seem too fast for me these days.

Anyone still lift? (I started STS but stopped in my 7th week because when I lifted heavy weights, I felt I was pulling on my core/baby.)

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I'm not pregnant now but I've had 4 pregnancies one of those with twins. With my first two pregnancies I basically just did cardio but once I got to my 3rd pregnancy with my twins I did both cardio and continue to do my weights I can tell you how beneficial it was I only gain 35 pounds and was able to loose weight fairly quickly. With my last pregnancy baby # 5 I continue to do cardio, running, and weights and only gain 25 pounds, it was great feeling to be fit and pregnant. I say just listen to your body that's the most important thing when working out when pregnant. Good luck!

Lourdes

I've been doing BC, HSC, KPC and L & G and Amy Bento's Kickbox Extreme and modifying on the jumps and lifting lighter than I was previously. I am also alternating between high incline walking. My dr said it is fine to do what I was doing previously however I just do what feels right to my body that day. So far I can only get through about 30 minutes of any of these workouts (because I am so tired) so I switched to the shorter premixes.

Running, every morning...
Drill Max, Lo Impact Circuit, Lowmax, Muscle Endurance, KPC, Cardio Fusion. I modify a lot, wear my heart rate monitor. My doctor is emphatic about staying healthy and in shape, so I just listen to my body. Some days a nap is better than a workout...
I am worried about having my abs split later. Should I stop abs all together?

Running, every morning...
Drill Max, Lo Impact Circuit, Lowmax, Muscle Endurance, KPC, Cardio Fusion. I modify a lot, wear my heart rate monitor. My doctor is emphatic about staying healthy and in shape, so I just listen to my body. Some days a nap is better than a workout...
I am worried about having my abs split later. Should I stop abs all together?

I did abs until late pregnancy and never split during all three pregnancies. I did a lot on the stability ball for obliques mainly...

I've been doing High Step Circuit, Basic Step, Low Impact Step, 4DS Kickbox (with some modifications), Cardio + Weights, Low Max, CTX Leaner Legs and Upper Body Split, Legs and Glutes, and just did the Pure Strength workouts.

I found out I was pregnant a couple days before STS shipped, but am thinking about doing the Meso 1 (endurance) using lighter weights. I've been itching to break these out!!

I also have a Leslie Sansome DVD I've done on days I'm too tired (but I modify to get in some cardio bursts)!

And I've been doing a DVD called Pilates During Pregnancy with Niece Pacenka 3 or 4 times a week. I got it from amazon. The reviewer who said her legs have never looked better sold me LOL

Another DVD that is supposed to be very good is the Perfect Pregnancy Workout (also available on amazon.com). I got it too, but haven't done it yet. I guess I should break it out!

I lifted about 5 days a week and did cardio for about the same. It was great. I had some lower back pain in the 2nd trimester, but by the 3rd trimester, I was feeling great again.

Low Impact Step (LIS)
Low Max
Low Impact Circuit (LIC)
Basic Step
Body Fusion

Dawn

I got the Perfect Pregnancy workout as well. I am waiting to break it out until Cathe is too hard for me. I did SJP yesterday and noticed the weight seemed tougher than usual... :( I am thinking I was just tired! I also got the Gabrielle Reese pregnancy and post partum exercise set. I am waiting on that one too. I love Cathe's personality, so it is so hard to try a new instructor. THe clips I have seen from teh Reese one look like they have good exercises, but that Gabby is a real bore! So, cheers to Cathe for as long as I can. I am starting to get an appetite again, so that is goign to be good for energy!
I am still lifting, but lower weight, I got my STS the day after I found out I was pregnant too. My doctor gave me the red light on that one, green light on everything else. He does not want me trying anything new. I have already noticed my hips and knees feeling rough...
:)

Thanks so much, everybody!

From not doing any serious weight work for about 19 months, I've noticed how much harder simple things like tricep dips are for me now (I used to do them with the Cathe vest AND sometimes one-legged!).

Now in the second trimester, I appreciate the feedback and want to start doing more endurance-type lifting and workouts. I still have STS sitting in its box waiting for after the baby is born . . .

Have a great day!
Dawn

I'm almost 22 weeks and have found the following DVD's to be the one's I reach for most often: LIC, Low Max, Kick Max (no blast and LOVE this one preggo), 4DS LIS and Kickbox.

I am still lifting, but am going lighter. I have stopped doing any abs for the rectus abdominus but am still working obliques.

I also teach aerobics: this morning it was 30 minutes of kickbox followed by 30 minutes of weights. I have started and stopped STS three times. I finally gave up and am saving it for after baby arrives. I am hoping that the STS cardio will be here right around the same time! That should get rid of the pregnancy weight! :)

In addition to the above I will walk (I have only ran one time since becoming pregnant despite running a lot before) and sometimes have done walking hill sprints (just pick a hill and walk up it 10 times as fast as I can). I am modifying most of Cathe's high impact now and doing a lower impact option.

The biggest change is that I am not following a set rotation. I just listen to my body week to week and day to day and just make sure that I do SOMETHING to keep moving. It's been a mental adjustment for me to slow down. Prior to getting pregnant I was working with a personal trainer and was lifting heavier than ever before (ie. 25lb DB in each hand for biceps, 80lb barbells for back, pushups were a breeze, lots of plyo, etc). My workouts look NOTHING like this now! But, I am still healthy, I feel good, and most importantly baby seems to growing and doing well!

Hey everyone!! I am a frequent reader of the forum but don't post often.

I am currently 34.5 weeks pregnant and feel great. I have gained about 20 lbs so far (I am 5'3 and was around 128lbs when I got pregnant) - my goal is under 30 lbs so I feel pretty confident I will be able to meet that goal. :)

My workouts during pregnancy have been fairly consistent and I have done 3-4 days of weight training (full body) and 3-4 days of cardio. My full body workouts were always the following:
Push Pull (usually the double mix without core - I always did my core seperately on the ball)
Supersets (usually 2 sets without core)
Muscle Max
Power Hour
Maximum Intensity Strength
Muscle Endurance

I would stop before doing abs on all programs and do a 20 minute ab session on my own. I LOVE Cathe's total body workouts and they have made me feel so powerful and I can't wait to see how it helps with delivery!!! I am so happy about how fit I am - everyone says I am all belly and I have no swelling. I am so fortunate and grateful for how good this pregnancy has gone.

Congrats to all of you ladies who have been out there rocking the workouts pregnant! I am planning on STS and STS cardio after baby and I can't wait!!

Jessica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.