Belly button pain during pregnancy???

cyclinggirl

Cathlete
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced any pain or sensitivity above or around their belly button while pregnant.

I have a bruised feeling and a slight indent just above my belly button, it's been there for over a week. My midwife thought maybe it was the beginning of my ab muscles separating but when she tested I didn't show signs.

Anyway, I've done some reading and it looks like it *could* be the early stage of an umbilical hernia. Has anyone here had one? I wasn't familiar with the term.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. I'm trying not to freak out but also don't want to continue doing any workouts that might make it worse if I have one.

Thanks in advance!

steph

I had pain around my belly button with both my kids, but it was just the tissues and muscles stretching and not an umbilical hernia. My sisters and most of my friends have had the same experience, and none of them had a hernia. If you do have an umbilical hernia, it will stick out from your abdomen in that area (I know a couple of children who developed the problem). Truth be told, I still experience the same pain when I do any exercise that requires lying over the stability ball, and it's just that the umbilical area was really stretched during the pregnancies. I wouldn't freak out just yet!

Natalie

Phew!!! Thanks Natalie!! :) ...you've stalled the freak out.

Believe it or not this isn't something that's been easy to find info about. And so far I haven't found women I know who have experienced it -- maybe it's more common in women who work out?? I ordered a book about exercise while pregnant hoping it would help me solve this and any other mysteries that arise (and prepare for delivery, of course).

"Maternal Fitness: Preparing for a Healthy Pregnancy, an Easier Labor"
I guess it's similar to "Fit to Deliver" but had higher ratings on amazon.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who experienced this sort of thing. You can never have too much info.

Thank you!
steph

Steph,

Hey, it's me again. How far along are you? I remember so well that from about 26 weeks on my belly button was so sore that I couldn't wear pants where the waistband touched it! I didn't have an outie either. I stretched to the point of complete flatness- it looked so weird! I have a Mayo Clinic pregnancy book that talks about umbilical pain, but only briefly. I'm sure it has alot to do with our musculature and body type, and the way the uterus is sitting in the pelvis. I was ALL out front baby both times.

Natalie

Hey Natalie, thanks for writing back. I'm 25 weeks, so pretty close to the time you felt it too. It IS looking flat around my belly button, so weird. I have an "innie" too. I'm glad you have a book about this that makes it more real somehow, that it's been acknowledged medically.

I'll continue to survey my friends about it but not many have regular workout regimes, most took it pretty easy when they were pregnant and don't workout much when they are. That's why I think it might be related to stronger (or tighter) abdominal muscles. Who knows? It's a theory. Sort of sucks to think that looser muscles could be advantageous in some way. :)

Thanks for the extra detail about when you began to feel it. And for the heads up re: the future and exercises on your stomach.

Have a good one!!
Steph

I had this with my first and I am just starting to get it again this time around (22 weeks). My abs didn't separate with the first and everything was normal. I just attributed it to stretch pains?

And the stronger muscles definitely work to an advantage in labor, so even if it feels a little worse now it is worth it for labor to be easier!!

Hi,
I'm 24 weeks. I don't have the pain, but I have noticed a darkened shadow forming around my belly button. Weird.

Do you have one of those as well?
Manmohini

I didn't have pain around my belly button (just everywhere else:p ) and I got an umbilical hernia after (or during, for that matter!) my twin pregnancy. I carried 12.5 pounds of baby, so I was stretched to the limit!! There was no more room at the Inn.

I would also think it is your muscles stretching...or slight diastasis.

I would just listen to your body - if something hurts, don't do it anymore. I also worked out until the day my water broke and the hernia never hurt, so you just never know. Take care of yourself!! Good luck with everything.

Hey, thanks for the reassurance Annette. It's great to hear that this isn't so uncommon. Sorry, you're feeling it too though, it is pretty strange. Mine is not all that painful, just more sensitive and somewhat perplexing...since I'm super curious.

Manmohini, hmmmmmm I can't really say that my belly button has a dark shadow around it...it's just sort of indented above it. Wacky. I hope yours is okay too. I'll let you know if that develops.

Congratulations Jennifit, twins! That's awesome. How old are they? What sex? I thought I was having twins at first and was thrilled at the idea, though I'm sure it's a lot more difficult physically etc. I was a nanny for 2 sets of twins, they're a blast. So fascinating to watch together. Enjoy!!

Steph

Like I said earlier, my poor little belly button got stretched flat, and it turned dark, dark brown! Most of us have the "linea negra" (the dark line that goes down the midline of our bulging belly), but I had this circle of really dark brown skin where my navel should have been. The inside of my belly button is still dark brown today, six years since my son was born, and I am very fair skinned. It looks bizarre! Pregnancy does such weird things to our bodies.

Natalie

Steph,

I had terible pain in my navel area with my last 8 babies (I have 10 children). I must tell you that I never experienced separated abdominal muscles even after all those kids. So, you do not need to worry about the bruising feeling in the navel area.

I just wanted to reassure you.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for the reassurance. Clearly, you are more than experienced with pregnancy - 10 kids wow! It means a lot coming from you and I'm thrilled to hear that your muscles didn't separate through any of your pregnancies, that's something I've been wondering about...how common it is, how often it happens etc.

I also have to tell you that I looked at your photos and you look amazing. Period. So knowing that you've given birth to 10 kids is even more incredible, you still have great abs!!! Whatever you're doing, keep up the good work!! You're an inspiration. :)

Best,
Steph

Steph,

Thank you for the compliments. Pregnancy does not ruin your body. It just takes some work after giving birth. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry about the abs.

I know just for your information, Cathe did have her abs separate after she had her second and last baby. Look how good her abs look!

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.