Being supine

Stebby

Cathlete
I know that current wisdom recommends that after 13 weeks of pregnancy, you should no longer lie flat on your back. The reasoning, if I understand it correctly, is that your uterus may press on your inferior vena cava, cutting off circulation to both your baby and to your lower body.

I'm having a lot of difficulty with this. I have always been someone who listens to my body. Something about the theory just doesn't make sense to me, because my body has never given me any signals that I should not be in a supine position (I'm 26 weeks along). Also, every medical exam (ultrasounds, pelvics, regular prenatal checks) has me lying flat on my back -- as directed by medical people -- sometimes for an extended period of time.

I talked to some people who had their children before 10 years ago (apparently, this advice first came out with the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting"), and they had never heard of it. A lot of them slept flat on their backs and found that it was quite a comfortable position for them for much of their pregnancies (including my mother, who had 4 kids). My prenatal yoga teacher told me that some women experience dizziness when they lie on their backs, and if so, they should move into another position, but if they are not getting any signals from their body there is no problem. She also said something that I found very interesting. She asked me, "Do you ever wake up and find you are sleeping on your stomach?" I said no (although before I got pregnant, my natural sleeping position was on my stomach) -- so my body is obviously taking care of this for me. She then asked, "Do you ever wake up and find you are sleeping on your back?" I said yes -- all the time!

Are there any other skeptics out there, or is it just me? Is there other information that I should have that maybe I don't, that might make me change my mind? I don't want to endanger my baby!

P.S. I am still doing ab work on my back. There are some things I can't physically do (such as reverse crunches with my knees together, because my belly gets in the way), but I still feel I am getting the best strengthening by pressing my lower back into the floor and doing traditional crunches, crossovers, etc.

I think this is another one of those "guidelines" that is recommended to be followed just to be absolutely safe. But I'm like you -- I continued in both my first pregnancy and this one to do abs (and other exercises) on my back up until the point where laying in that position made me dizzy and nauseous. Given that your doctor always has you laying flat on your back for ultrasounds and other exams, the risk may be largely theoretical. (I do think one thing you have to be concerned about, though (as you seem to have found with reverse crunches) is crowding the uterus as the baby grows bigger.)

Plus, I would need to go back and reread Dr. Clapp's book (it's been a while now), but I have a vague recollection of him saying that there was no evidence that doing ab work while lying supine had the same negative impact as being still in that position -- something having to do with the fact that you were actually moving. Maybe I'm just making that up, though -- anybody who's read the book more recently have any idea?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-09-02 AT 03:06PM (Est)[/font][p]Hazel, do you remember which week you started feeling dizzy on your back?

This is a really good question, thanks for bringing it up Stebby. I can't help being concerned now because I always fall asleep on my side but usually wake up on my back, and usually with my cat sitting on my belly & chest staring at me. It does seem like your body ought to be giving you some type of signal if there's something wrong, doesn't it. I'm not pregnant yet but I'm about to start trying. There's just so much to learn about this whole pregnancy thing, it's a bit overwhelming.

Your body will, in fact, tell you if you are cutting off the vena cava... you'll likely find yourself going breathless, and you may have numbness in your extremeties. In this case, you should roll over to your left side...

I always start sleeping on my side, but often I'll wake up on my back. In my first pregnancy, I never had any discomfort on my back. This time, I am very uncomfortable on my back, and I did wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breathe... it was quite scary... I had to sit up for a few minutes... but, like you indicated, my body did wake me up and tell me when I was cutting off my circulation.

You're probably fine... and if you are concerned but want to continue a supine crunch, you can always lie on a step with your head raised 4 or 6" -- you may find that this is the only way you can physically do crunches when your belly gets bigger...
susan

Umm,

I've just started to feel that way (very slightly) the last week or two in this pregnancy, which would make it around 24 weeks or so. I remember distinctly when it started happening in my first pregnancy because I was getting a facial and had to keep sitting up so I wouldn't barf! That was the last week in March, and Lauren was born in July, so it was right about the same time then too (this time I'm due in August, and started feeling a bit icky in late April).

Thanks, everyone! I figured I could trust my body on this one, and you guys have backed this theory up. I haven't experienced dizziness yet, but if I do I will be sure to listen.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.