Anyone relocate mid-pregnancy?

Tammyspq

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I just wanted to know if anyone ever relocated while pregnant in which almost all pregnancy plans seemed to be tossed up in the air. My husband MIGHT get a job in D.C. that we thought would not start until 10/02 (baby is due 9/02), thought that it would pay for housing costs there (as we still have a mortgage here and don't plan to sell our house as this job may only be 2 years maximum). Now it turns out that housing is not paid for and the job could start this month or next. I refuse to stress yet as it may not happen but it if does, we will not be able to have double-income until our baby is born unless I stay here (I don't anticipate anyone wanting to hire me when I'm so pregnant). If I stay behind a couple months I do child-birth classes alone and we are planning a home birth. I'd have to find a homebirth practice in D.C. (the one here sends doctor, mid-wife and a nurse and is covered by our insurance). So many other things to consider too. Anyone ever have complete upheaval of "the plan"?

sort of...

My dh & I were married in Feb. 2000 -- he was working in NC, and I was teaching at a School of the Arts in VA... it was about a 3 hour drive... I stayed in VA until the end of the school year (mid-June).

"The plan" was that I'd get to NC, find a new job, and work for a year or two before we had kids. It didn't quite turn out that way... instead (woops!) I was pregnant in May before I'd even gotten to NC (see what those romantic weekends will do for ya? :) So much for having a double income for ahwile!

I think your situation is tougher, though, with a house to sell. If you can at all manage it, I think you should go with dh... you'll want his support at birthing classes, and you'll want to get acquainted with your new OB and all of that. DC is a huge place, I'm sure you'd have no problem finding a homebirth practice... maybe get on a midwifery site online for help...

You also will not want to have to get ready for a move on your own...

Maybe your dh should talk to his new employers and explain the situation... maybe they'll allow him to start later or help out with a temporary apartment...

Let us know how it works out!
Susan

Not mid-pregnancy but with a 4 month old!

Hi!

We moved to another state when my daughter was 4 months old. It all came up very unexpectedly and quickly. My husband lived with some other people and commuted 1 1/2 hours to his new job for 3 weeks while I stayed back at our old home. We had one day to find a house in Illinois too. It was very very stressful. I was very nervous being at home alone those three weeks with a little baby (can you say first time mom?). But we got through it just fine and are very happy now.

So, my advice (take it or leave it right?) is that it would be easier to move mid-pregnancy than with a little one. It was hard coordinating movers, mortgages, real estate agents, etc. and dealing with an infant. But than again, I never moved mid-pregnancy.

Good luck! You will get through it.
Connie

Thanks for the feedback! While circumstances are different, it helps to hear how other's have handled major life-changes during another life-change!

Thanks!

Not personally

But I've had two close friends who did this. My best friend from high school went through this when she was pregnant with her first last year. Right around the time she found out she was pregnant, her husband got a promotion that required him to relocate to Ohio (they lived in Pennsylvania). He moved up there when she was about 4 months along, and came home several weekends a month. She stayed in PA because she was still working, and her mother went with her to her birthing classes (she didn't have a home birth), although her husband took several weeks off near her due date and planned, if the baby came early, to make every effort to get back for the birth. Ended up that both her mom and husband were there for the birth, and she moved up to Ohio after her six-week OB checkup. She didn't return to work after the baby was born (that was one of the conditions of agreeing to move) and is loving it. My other friend moved from Texas to NY with her husband when she was about halfway through her pregnancy.

Although I imagine both of them would have preferred not to have the upheaval of an inter-state move during/immediately after their pregnancies, they both were happy with their decisions. I will say that my friend who moved actually felt a bit lonlier, as you could imagine, because as you said, she did not feel that anyone would hire a woman who was already 5 months pregnant, so she spent the last half of her pregnancy at home in a new town, whereas my other friend, although without her husband, was still in her familiar routine and had her other family and friends around to support her.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I know you will make the right decision for you and your family when the time comes.

!!RE: Not personally

It definitely helps because I don't know anyone who had such upheaval. It helps me feel a little "normal" amongst the chaos. thanks so much for the feedback

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.