Anyone not eating sugar throughout pregnancy?

LovingLife

Cathlete
I know that while pregnant I'm supposed to eat better than ever, but I was eating so much healthier before pregnant. I was off of sugar, eating whole grains and produce for carbs and now it's just a fanfare of whatever's there. Anyone eating really well and want to offer some motivation? I'm going away for my 20th Class Reunion this weekend, but really want to work on developing these good eating habits when I get back Sunday. I always do better when I start fresh on a Monday morning anyway. Anyone want to join me on focusing on some clean eating? -- Renee

Renee,

What has kept me off simple processed sugars has been the threat of gestational diabetes. I may have had it last pregnancy and wasn't tested (had a 10lb4oz child for my first!!). I try and keep things moderate if I can.

Luckily I haven't got GD this time around, but I read somewhere that "the more you gain, the more you retain" so I'm bearing this in mind as I try and make healthful food choices.

I reckon being truly healthy is riding the line between being totally unhealthy versus being completely obsessed.

See you at VF
Liz N

Hey Renee! I can totally relate. I have found that almost nothing turns me on so I spend time eating almost anything in hopes of finding something that I might crave. No such luck and I'm 35 1/2 weeks. I must say, I have NOT been able to curb the candy and have tried to eat balance white flour carbs with whole wheat stuff but it's been a challenge.

What has helped a little bit is that I started to only buy whole foods when I shopped = that's all I had to cook with. Then when I had a craving for candy or crap I just walk to the end of the block and buy A piece of candy or bag of chips or candy bar. As opposed to the first trimester when I bought a box of life savers from Costco!

Hope this helps!! jeni

ps - I was also DILIGENT about taking my vitamins = a multi, extra b-complex, gamma linoleic acid (GLA) for brain development, calcium magnesium, and iron + C.

I definitely think that it's best to say away from processed sugars if you can at any time, and I wanted to say "ditto" to your comment about "riding the line between being totally unhealthfully... (and) totally obsessed."

But... to those who give into cravings & can't help but obsess over weight (don't we all from time to time?)... I want to ease your minds... I gained 43 lbs. with #1 and 38 with #2... I lost all 43 lbs. in 4 mos. the first time, and I've lost 35 of the 38 so far and I'm 3 mos. postpartum (and I had a c-section and couldn't exercise much until I was 6 wks. postpartum this time). I think that the consistent exercise during and after pregnancy is the key to weight loss. Your body is just much more efficient when you keep up your muscle tone.

I also wanted to add that the 2002 ACOG guidelines say that prenatal exercise is a definite help in the control of gestational diabetes (along with diet!)... so if you are exercising, you are definitely doing the right thing :)
Susan
p.s. -- Wow... 10 lbs. 4 oz!!! My boys were 9 lbs. 2 oz. and 9 lbs. 6 oz. (no gestational diabetes), and that was PLENTY big! Didn't you feel vindicated of any complaining you might have done in the last few weeks once you found out how big your kiddo was? I kept saying, "No WONDER I was so tired!" :)
susan

I definitely think that it's best to say away from processed sugars if you can at any time, and I wanted to say "ditto" to your comment about "riding the line between being totally unhealthfully... (and) totally obsessed."

But... to those who give into cravings & can't help but obsess over weight (don't we all from time to time?)... I want to ease your minds... I gained 43 lbs. with #1 and 38 with #2... I lost all 43 lbs. in 4 mos. the first time, and I've lost 35 of the 38 so far and I'm 3 mos. postpartum (and I had a c-section and couldn't exercise much until I was 6 wks. postpartum this time). I think that the consistent exercise during and after pregnancy is the key to weight loss. Your body is just much more efficient when you keep up your muscle tone.

I also wanted to add that the 2002 ACOG guidelines say that prenatal exercise is a definite help in the control of gestational diabetes (along with diet!)... so if you are exercising, you are definitely doing the right thing :)
Susan
p.s. -- Wow... 10 lbs. 4 oz!!! My boys were 9 lbs. 2 oz. and 9 lbs. 6 oz. (no gestational diabetes), and that was PLENTY big! Didn't you feel vindicated of any complaining you might have done in the last few weeks once you found out how big your kiddo was? I kept saying, "No WONDER I was so tired!" :)
susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.