:)

beauty

Hi. I was wondering if any of you all felt like you were showing right away. I have gained about 5 lbs.,and I'm about 6 weeks along.I just feel soo chubby. It has been so different for me cause I have been so into working out, and eating healthy for so long,then you get pregnant & just start packin on the pounds.I know it is natural to do that,its just been an ajustment for me.I really have enjoyed reading all the posts from everyone.I usally check them daily.You guys are all great!

Hi Beauty! Congratulations! With my first pregnancy I had very much water retention starting right at the 3 week mark and carried much fuller in my face and arms for the duration of the pregnancy. The second pregnancy, my belly showed itself sooner but I had very little water retention around my face and upper body until right about now at 34 weeks. It is a hard adjustment but as you grow into your pregnancy your focus will shift into other pregnancy issues. You will also meet many people who will share their stories with you and over time you will come to know pregnancy in a whole new light. What seems to be an adjustment now will be something you cherish as you look back at it all in the future. Enjoy the next 38 to 40 weeks or so of your life. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish:)!

Yes, I agree with Cathe, fluid retention can play a huge part in that bloated belly feeling. Drinking plenty of water helps with this big time. I wouldn't be too concerned with weight gain if you are consuming the same amount of calories as you did before you got pregnant. Remember that you need to increase your
intake from about the second trimester.

This was my big downfall last time, I used pregnancy as an excuse to eat anything and everything and boy, did I pay for it! The other recommendation I received from James Clapp was to base your diet on lots of unrefined carbohydrates (ie those with a low GI), moderate protein and low fat.

I have been sticking to his recommendations to the letter this time and have only gained 2 pounds so far, though my belly is a bit poochy.

I echo Cathe's sentiments about making the adjustments about your thinking during pregnancy. There's so much that's new and interesting going on within your body. And even though I gained 60 pounds during my first pregnancy and had a hard time losing it all and have stretch marks and flabbier abs, my body image is the best it's ever been...I mean my body did this (and I recovered to tell the tale! and I'm in better shape than ever!)

Take care of yourself and that little one,
Liz N.

I think that I showed earlier than most with both of my pregnancies. I've gained weight slower this time around, but I was in maternity wear sooner. I definitely had a pooky belly by 6 or 8 weeks -- sort of like pms belly -- not anything anyone else noticed, but I definitely could! I also have a tendency to gain a bit more than I'd like in the first trimester, but both times it slowed down significantly later on. I always blame the initial gain on my boobs which immediately get HUGE -- I'd make a great 3rd world fertility symbol! LOL :)

Just like PMS, I also think that sometimes early showing isn't so much the baby or water so much as it is sluggish bowels.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)
Susan

p.s.

p.s. ~ if you think showing early is bad...

I went to the YMCA where I work to pick up my paycheck the other day. I'd been feeling quite proud of myself because I've kept up a really consistent workout routine so far, and I was thinking that I've got to look/feel better than so many other pregnant women who don't exercise... but then I went up to the desk and got the dreaded "You must be having twins!! You're HUGE!" comment from a woman behind the desk. Just what you want to hear at 7 1/2 mos. pregnant... knowing that you will be so much huger in the next couple of months. GRRR! I was caught off guard, and all I could think of to say was, "That wasn't very nice." LOL

How could she tell anyway? I was wearing a winter coat!
susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.