8 years later...

tchersue

Cathlete
It is amazing to me that so many obstetricians are still giving out the 140 heartrate and other outdated info to their patients about exercise. One of my loyal students (she started back in November & is now in her 3rd trimester) said tonight that her OB, upon learning that she was an exercising mama, told her to make sure that she was staying below 140. For crying out loud, the ACOG recommended the change to perceived rate of exertion in 1994...

I never want to tell someone that their OB is wrong, so I said something like, "Well, that's not a harmful recommendation... although the ACOG gives more leeway than that."

Speaking of which, I had humongous Braxton Hicks contractions through my whole workout tonight. I stopped the cardio a few minutes early, and I instructed part of the resistance while walking around instead of modeling the exercise. Frustrating, but I figured that I'd want my moms to stop if they were feeling that way, so I ought to practice what I preach, right?

34 weeks and the clock is TICKING! :)
Susan

You'd think that doctors would be up-to-date enough to know 8-year-old revisions! Well, your advice was good; you didn't over-step your boundaries that way.

Good luck in the home stretch!!

The only thing I can think

is that doctors still give this advice because it is more concrete and easy to measure than the perceived exertion test (sort of a CYA thing, if you know what I mean). When my OB's nurse gave me this guideline, I politely informed her that I have been exercising since college (including through one healthy pregnancy), am a certified aerobics instructor, and know how to monitor and adjust my intensity appropriately. She said they generally give the 140 BPM guideline because most pregnant women they deal with have never exercised regularly before and only decide after they find out they're going to have a baby that it might be a good idea to get in shape. From that standpoint, I kind of understand why they would stick to this advice -- that's probably a good general guideline for most beginning exercisers -- but it still isn't right for doctors to assume that we all fall in that category.

you're probably right...

You're probably right... it makes me wonder, though, how many pregnant women freak out the first time that they take their pulse during exercise and realize that they're at 150 or 160 even, y'know?

Another thing that I'd forgotten about was that in the pregnancy book they gave me at my doctor's office on my first visit, it has all kinds of stretches that I think are inappropriate for pregnant bodies... like lying on your back and doing pelvic tilts or twisting from the waist, for instance. I threw the book away -- it wasn't as good as what I got from my hospital during my 1st pregnancy. Before I did, though, I checked the copyright on the book -- I figured that maybe they were using an old publication, but it was copyrighted in 2000!

At least my OB seems to be in the know. She was all excited to learn that I was teaching a prenatal class, and she's been giving out our flyers to other pregnant moms. She shook her head and said, "I have the worst time getting pregnant moms to move their bodies! I'd be glad to pass on information about your class!"
Susan

Hi Susan! I'm so glad that the practice that I go to is in full support of exercising during pregnancy and actually encourages listening to your body day to day and being aware of the newest information available to pregnant women.

How are you feeling today? Are you still getting the Braxton Hicks? I really thought I was going to deliver early but this little guy is just loving his aquatic lifestyle. Funny, but today I have the same outfit on as in my 34 week pregnancy web picture and what a difference. That yellow top sure is snug now. Thank goodness it gives some because there is no point in buying more maternity clothes at this point. Well, take care!

Hee hee -- I was under some pregnancy-induced illusion that I looked smaller lately, but then I got like 5 comments in one day (several from the moms in my prenatal class LOL) that I looked so much bigger... like I was going to pop :) Life's little happy times... I had an OB appt this morning, & I'd lost a couple of pounds, so I'm only up 28 lbs. and not 30. I know it'll all come off again, but at this late stage, I'll happily take a loss... it's the first time EVER during either of my pregnancies that it's happened!

Not too much BH lately... now the little boy is happily bouncing on some nerve that causes shooting pains in my cervical area and rectum (we're all pregnant here, right... or have been/will be... hope I'm not grossing anyone out LOL) It literally stops me in my tracks! Just one of those things, I guess.

I have a really icky pair of pregnancy jeans that I've worn so much through two pregnancies that I just hate them -- but I'm with you, no more maternity wear at this point! Although, I've noticed that my shoes have been a little snug lately... might have to invest in some clogs LOL.

Your clock must REALLY be ticking at this point! Is it just me or do the last weeks of pregnancy take longer than the whole 40 weeks?
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.