3rd Trimester Workout Questions

AlisonK

Cathlete
Hi Everyone!

I have a few questions and also just wanted to get some stories from those of you working out in your 3rd trimester. Currently, I am almost 31 weeks. My first questions have to do with weight training. I am wondering whether I should be eliminating certin moves because of my belly being in the way. For example, reverse flies where where you are sitting and leaning forward or upright pulls (hope that's the right name) for shoulders. I notice the only way I can do reverse flies is to sit up alot more and move my legs apart some but Im not sure if this is good form. On the upright pulls I have to hold the bar out further from my body to get around my belly. Also, I wonder if I should still be doing bent over rows at this point for back or if it is too much strain? Should these and any other upper body exercises be eliminated or just modified?

The second part of my post has more to do with a request for stories. Could any of you out there who are in your 3rd trimester or even 2nd and are really modifying give me some ideas of what kind and how many workouts you are doing a week? I started this pregnancy probably being an intermediate level exerciser still with 20 lbs to lose. So at this point I don't expect to be able to do the same type of workouts someone more advanced would. Iam just curious as to what you all are doing. I pretty much only own Cathe tapes with the exception of one or two others I just bought. I find that I really can only do about 30-40 mins of cardio on a step with no risers. For weights I have mostly been doing MIS split into two workouts one time per week. The strange thing is I thought at the end I would walk alot more but walking actually bothers my pelvic area much more than doing step does. Anyway, sorry to be so long but I know there are several people out there in their last few weeks/months and I would love to hear what types of workouts you are doing for ideas and inspiration! :)

Alison

I think Cathe & Sheila can better answer your initial question... although I think that, as a safety precaution, it is better not to do any unsupported lifting at this point. Like, I'd only do the upright pulls w/ one arm and leg on a bench (as though you were crawling with that side of your body, if that makes sense), and pulling up one side at a time. I wouldn't do anything that makes you uncomfortable at this point -- there is a lot of belly weight pulling on those supporting ligaments at the present, and it would be easy to hurt yourself.

I'm currently 32 1/2 weeks, and I'm working out 4-5 times a week. I'm teaching two prenatal fitness classes(about 35 minutes of low impact aerobics + 35-40 minutes of resistance exercise with bands... and, of course, cool down and stretching) a week, and I do 30-40 minutes of either the elliptical trainer or swimming laps in the pool 2 or 3 times a week (I just added the swimming because I had sciatica for a couple of days... it felt so good, that I've decided to make a habit of it!). If I'm doing the elliptical trainer, then I'll almost always do free weights or weight machines while I'm in the fitness room.

Modifications:
-squats w/ a stability ball between my lower back and the wall
- rectus abdominus work in a sitting position squeezing back into the stability ball (again, it is against the wall), and "tail wags" on all fours to work my obliques... more repetitions than I'd probably do if I were doing regular ab non-pregnant ab work
-I haven't been able to comfortably do leg presses for some weeks now... belly gets in the way :)
-If I do free weights, I sit on the stability ball to help me to keep correct form.
-I'm no longer doing any step... I was keeping up fine, but for some reason it seems to cause me to have a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions, so I stopped... but I participated in step classes upon occasion up to 6 1/2 mos... toward the end, I'd take out repeaters and power moves if I felt like my hip flexors were getting sore.
Susan

Hi Alison! I'll add to what Susan has said. As you enter your third trimester it is so normal to have to modify even more. Your belly is at a point where it is starting to make you have to alter how you do many everyday activities as simple as tying your shoes. Your pelvic ligaments are very stretched and vunerable right now so if in doubt on whether you are doing yourself harm or good on a given exercise, opt to eliminate the exercise at this point.

As far as reverse flys with your body more upright and your belly through your legs, that's fine as long as you are not experiencing unneccessary strain in your lower back. Another way to make it more comfortable is to do it on a chair vs a low bench so that you can sit upright with greater comfort and a slight forward lean.

In my opinion, I would eliminate upright rows at this point because 1) this exercise is already a bit more stressfull to the shoulder joint as is, let alone doing them with relaxin in your system 2) there is no way to keep the bar close to your body as you lift up at this point, therefore encouraging bad form.

For one arm dumbbell rows, you may be at the point where even putting one leg and arm on a step to support your back is still uncomfortable because of weight of baby pulling downward is too great. You may instead want to try standing upright with your legs split front and back and a slight forward lean (45 degree angle).

Good Luck!

I am almost 28 weeks now and I am also more uncomfortable leaning over. I've found that it's more comfortable to stand and lean over for back work than to sit on a chair and I don't lean as far as I usually do. For upright rows, I've been using two light dumbbells - in the lowered posiition a dumbbell is on each side of the belly.

So glad you mentioned this because I have also noticed that in the last week or two step is more comfortable than walking. Walking causes a 'stitch' in my side buy step doesn't.

Windy

Thank you so much for the wonderful responses to my questions! :)

Susan - I really appreciate your advice and tips on modifications. In fact I have been meaning to write and say thank you for all the wonderful posts you written on this board. I have found them so helpful, informative and inspiring!

Cathe - Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I feel alot more comfortable and will follow your advice. I have to thank you and tell you how wonderful I think you are. Your workouts and advice and this website have totally changed my life. I know that you are down to your last few weeks in this pregnancy, hopefully you are comfortable and can relax. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Windy - Your idea of switching to dumbells for certain exercises is great. I will definitely give that a try. I get that exact same stitch in my side when I try to walk so it's nice to hear Im not alone. I am pretty thankful actually. I would much rather give up walking and be able to continue step even at a very modified level. Thanks for sharing!

Alison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.