2 weeks overdue & delayed induction

cyclinggirl

Cathlete
Hi Ladies and mommies-to-be,

Just an update...

We were scheduled for our induction today but we called this morning and they told us not to come in because they're full -- possibly related to the upcoming full moon. :-(

I finally accepted the idea of an induction and was so looking forward to meeting my first child sometime in the next 24 hours!! This whole thing is sort of ridiculously comical, ya gotta laugh or you'll cry. I guess the midwives from my hospital will be calling me sometime around noon to let me know if I can come in or not. Talk about a "Hurry up and Wait" scenario ...geesh.

So, I'm trying to see that this means my baby could come on her own, we have a bit more time. Plus, our bags completely packed & ready and every little detail has been taken care of (I even painted my toenails!!). Now I'm trying to be productive and enjoy this time rather than going nuts.

Has anyone else been through this scenario? If so, what did you do and how long did you have to wait?

Thanks for the help!

Steph

Oh, Steph, this must be so frustrating for you. I know that at some point, we're just so eager to meet the child. Then another day passes--and nothing!

I'm not as far overdue as you yet, but I can relate. I just hit 40 weeks a few days back, but I have started to feel antsy. Hell, I painted my toenails too yesterday--might even shave my legs today. Since nothing is going on, I figure why not at least look good? Normally, I don't have that kind of time to groom myself beyond hygienic reasons, but now that I've finished all of my work, I find myself sitting around waiting for the big event. I even finished all of the thank you notes from the baby shower. I even had a long article accepted for publication on Wednesday, and I revised it!

Yesterday, I received 5 phone calls from well-wishing relatives reminding me I was overdue: "what's the matter?", "what--are you sitting on that baby?"; "maybe you should see the doctor." Of course, I didn't answer a single one of these annoying calls but screened them through the answering machine. The only person I talked to was a friend that I called. A few years back, she was overdue at 42 weeks. She was glad I called because naturally she had been thinking about me, but would never dare call a pregnant woman beyond 40 weeks to ask for the progress report. Bless her heart.

Last night, I felt all crampy in my lower back and lower regions, and started to grow hopeful. It felt as if my period might be coming on. This went on for about an hour before I went to the bathroom to pass stool. Dang it, it turned out to be gastro-intestinal. I had eaten a fatty, rich Indian meal the night before, and my body was just getting around to processing it (still is). This means that I have still felt no sign of anything that could be construed as pre-labor or labor--not even Braxton-Hicks! The baby is moving though, and according to a sono from Nov. 7, everything looks healthy.

I am kind of hoping the baby will come today--my husband's birthday--but the day is already dwindling away. Oh well, he will come when he is good and ready, and like so many things in my life right now, I'm sure the lesson of the moment I'm supposed to learn is patience. This is not an easy one for me.

Best wishes. I pray for you that your girl comes out today and that you get the birthing experience you desire as well!
Manmohini

while i have not shared your experience, i do want to send heartfelt well wishes for a speedy induction and delivery. i have yet to find anything that compares to the anxiety of waiting for labor, and at 2 weeks post, you must be feeling that in spades. i know you will see your daughter soon, but i hope for conitnued good perspective and patience for you. good luck!

Hi, and thanks for the empathy!

Happy Birthday to your Hubby Manmohini. That would be cool if your baby and husband had the same birthday...or even close.

They called us to have us come in for an NST to assess my situation and see if they need to do anything faster for medical concerns. We're in good shape and passed the NST with a perfect score of 10...but I'm not really dialated much and she hasn't moved down much. So they would like us to call back and possibly be admitted for ripening tonight. So, the car is packed and we're ready to go...we just have to wait and see if they let us in tonight.

So...wish my luck and I'll be thinking of you and hoping things unfold more quickly and naturally in your case. :)

Best,
Steph

Oh, I feel for you! I am at almost 34 wks. and I am already ready to be done. I think it is very common for 1st babies to be overdue, not that that makes you feel any better. ;-) I hope everything goes well with you if you are induced tonight. Good luck!

BTW, how did you do with the hypnobabies CD's? I'm still listening to mine everyday. It does help me to destress, I am starting to get so nervous now that the time is quickly approaching!

Hi Marsha,

Thanks! We may be called back in tonight, we'll see. I got home and wasn't feeling well so I slept and had intense BH contractions that woke me up. I'm not sure if they were BH or the real deal, since they've never caused any discomfort before. I just called my midwife and she's in the middle of a labor so we're waiting to hear back and discuss it with her. We shall see...

I have to say that it's great to feel some natural progress, it encourages me that things may happen on their own or get nudged in that direction more quickly. :)

I'm still doing Hypnobabies but I joined their discussion list just about a week ago and I wish I had joined sooner. Are you on it? It's a great place for support and positive stories as well as advice on how to work with the CDs and scripts in a positive way. The 2 list moderators teach Hypnobirthing. I got a bit lax with the scripts when I moved (just busy). So I did a lot of listening. If I had been on the list I would have been better about sticking to the plan or asking for shortcut help.

You're getting closer yourself, so if you haven't joined I highly recommend it -- you still have a nice chunk of time to work with all the tools and get into a good place mentally. They helped me by sending a "Baby Come Out Script" and lots of tips about natural induction. It's a great resource.

One thing I realized going through the last couple of weeks is that a lot of this is going to happen on its own and I have to trust nature and the natural evolution of things rather than trying to manipulate it all. So my thoughts right now are more about keeping an open mind, being positive, and looking for positive outcomes rather than expecting the worst and spending time with worry. (I've done a lot of that!!) I realize that it's easier said than done, but I'm feeling a lot more peace this way...kind of staying inside my "protective bubble" that Hypnobabies talks about but but making sure that what I myself bring into it is also positive.

I wish you all the best with your birth and I know it will be far different than the last. Hang in there!! :)

More news soon,
Steph

Just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers to you ladies! Hopefully we will see a post from you ladies soon about your new arrivals!

Hey Steph,

Here are some good labor ((((vibes)))). I have just gotten on the computer after Nico's birth and was hoping to see that Sprout had arrived. By now, she probably has :)

I hope things go/went smoothly for you.

Take care,

arancini

Funny, I said she'd rather be fashionably late than make a big dramatic entrance...well, her entrance was chock full of drama but we're so thrilled that she's here and healthy!!! :)

Despite multiple attempts at induction and natural birth, Sienna was delivered by emergency c-section on Saturday, November 24th at 10:08am. She's an adorable little pink peanut with big blue eyes and auburn & blonde hair.

She arrived weighing in at 5lbs 8oz and measuring 18.5 inches. They found that she had almost no amniotic fluid left, they're still trying to figure out why I passed my NSTs that day, fluid levels were supposedly fine. They think she should have been delivered 2 weeks ago and might have weighed 1-2 lbs more but lost the weight as my placenta became less efficient. She's resilient!

For those who are curious, I was 42 weeks + when they induced. I over-responded to the drugs and created long and strong contractions with very little recovery in between. They called it a "storm of contractions", so she didn't get much of a break. Her heart rate slowed with each contraction and didn't recover quickly. Plus, I was barely dilated. So after a few hours of attempts with various ripening and induction agents it was decided she needed to get out another way.

Despite all of these things Sienna scored a 9 on her Apgars and has become a champion nurser!! She's HUNGRY and extremely motivated to put on weight -- during the 4 days in the hospital the nurses all called her a feisty peanut who knows what she wants (food!). She's been a quick study with latching on and great at letting me know what she needs. In dealing with her marathon of hunger we've supplemented her with 1 oz cups of formula in between. With such vigorous feedings we want her to get some extra nutrition...she burned a lot of calories trying to get through the engorgement phase -- it's tough work!! :9

She gets weighed today, so we're hoping she has put on a few ounces. She dropped below 5lbs, but now that my milk has come in we're hoping the numbers go up quickly . We'll see...

...off to nurse again...Happily!!!!!!

Manmohini, I can't wait to hear from you!! I hope you're doing well and your bundle is here. Nico and Sienna are waiting to hear more about their November baby bud. :)

Arancini, congrats to you again!! I'll touch base with you off-line...

Best,
Steph

p.s. I'm re-posting this on my induction thread too...so people get the update.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.