1st visit to OB....not impressed

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Hey ladies, I just have to vent some frustration! I went for my first visit to the ob yesterday. I only saw the nurse, but she rubbed me the wrong way. Not very enthusiastic or encouraging. I told her I wanted to breast feed and her response was "It's harder than you think and a lot of people can't do it." I was appalled by this answer. Anyway, what really irked me was her mandate: do not get your HR over 140. I am really disappointed by this. 140? I might as well push myself in a wheelchair! She said I don't want to get my core body temperature too high. But I'm thinking, isn't my body pretty good at regulating my body temperature? I know I sweat like crazy. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do anything to hurt the baby and I have backed off quite a bit. But, this advice seemed dated. Everything I've read so far says you can continue to do things your body is used to. I know several of you ladies continue to do Cathe until the day you deliver. I have to say though that now I'm almost afraid to do anything. So frustrating. I'm trying so hard to do this right and be healthy and that seemed very discouraging.

Oh, and one more thing she told me that HER personal trainer tells her not to get her HR too high because then she is burning muscle and not fat. Said her trainer tells her to keep it between 110 and 140. Not really relevant to my pregnancy, but I thought this was interesting.

For this reason and others, I'm finding a new practice. This practice it too big (10 docs) and too impersonal. And they way they handle payment is really unjust.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent! Thanks for listening :)

Is this some new type of training course for ob-gyn's? I swear I posted the same thing back in may timeframe .... fortunately, everyone on this forum is fantastic and calmed my fears.
Melissa and Kate (2 experienced fabulous mommies who helped me more than they probably know, since I don't post too much) gave me some fantastic advice .... There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum where Cathe discusses new guidelines around heartrate (perceived exertion is better).
There is also a book by Clapp, that really was a fantastic read about the interplay between the pregnant body and exercise.
Let me see if I can find the link to my original post so you can also benefit from the helpful advice I received.

reena, you just made my day!!! thankyou!

the link reena left for you pretty much covers it.:)

at my old ob's office i sometimes felt they were impersonal too. but i think maybe its because they see pg women every day so it loses its specialness. ?? just a thought. but yes, your nurse was very rude!

as far as breastfeeding..... yes, it can be hard. but!!! its nothing you cant be helped thru. my 1st wouldnt latch on for SIX WEEKS! but we finally got the hang of it. ive had more clogged ducts than i cancount, breast yeast infection, and evenmastitis. but i am successfully nursing my third baby. what a dud your nurse was!

with my 3rd i used a midwife. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Every appt was hourlong and they treated me like an absolute princess! they even came to my house to do my post-partum visits!

now, go rub your belly and tell your sweet baby hello from me!:D
enjoy your prgnancy and dont let any rotten nurse deflate your balloon!:D she was just jealous that you look so fab!;)

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh, this irks me:mad:. Telling a pregnant woman that breastfeeding is hard.........what is she thinking????? She should have told you that you are making a very wise choice and should have supported your decision. Yes, it is hard at first, but it has SO many rewards!!! Some people are very insensitive. I hope you find a much better practice that that place! Good luck with your pregnancy.
-Jen

reena, you just made my day!!! thankyou!

the link reena left for you pretty much covers it.:)

at my old ob's office i sometimes felt they were impersonal too. but i think maybe its because they see pg women every day so it loses its specialness. ?? just a thought. but yes, your nurse was very rude!

as far as breastfeeding..... yes, it can be hard. but!!! its nothing you cant be helped thru. my 1st wouldnt latch on for SIX WEEKS! but we finally got the hang of it. ive had more clogged ducts than i cancount, breast yeast infection, and evenmastitis. but i am successfully nursing my third baby. what a dud your nurse was!

with my 3rd i used a midwife. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Every appt was hourlong and they treated me like an absolute princess! they even came to my house to do my post-partum visits!

now, go rub your belly and tell your sweet baby hello from me!:D
enjoy your prgnancy and dont let any rotten nurse deflate your balloon!:D she was just jealous that you look so fab!;)

I have thought of trying to find a midwife too. But, they are difficult to locate. My hat is off to your for sticking with breast feeding through all of that! That is a testament to what a committed mother you must be! Thank you for your response and support and encouragement!

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235328

the thread is above.

Laura also gave a link to a fabulous web site and from that source, I found Clapp's book in the references for an article. I can't thank her enough as well.
Exercising Through Your Pregnancy by James Clapp

Good Luck!

Thank you sooo much for this link. Your original question was very well stated and pretty much sums up how I was feeling. The responses were very helpful as well.

When it comes down to it, I can't help but think that my body knows what is best and if I feel up for it, I should do it and if not, I should take it easy. I mean, women have been having babies for centuries and I guarantee a lot throughout history have plowed fields, crossed oceans, and hacked a life out of wilderness.

Why does pregnancy have to be treated with such fear? It's not an illness! I for one have hated this fear that I have been feeling! How can something so good be portrayed as harmful? I have some common sense and I am not going out to do hill sprints in 98 degree weather while pregnant!

That being said, my STS package has shipped and should arrive on Thursday or Friday and I plan to start that ASAP!!! I am totally pumped. Although the push ups look daunting!

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh, this irks me:mad:. Telling a pregnant woman that breastfeeding is hard.........what is she thinking????? She should have told you that you are making a very wise choice and should have supported your decision. Yes, it is hard at first, but it has SO many rewards!!! Some people are very insensitive. I hope you find a much better practice that that place! Good luck with your pregnancy.
-Jen

Thanks for being irked with me! It lets me know that I am not being hormonal and overly sensitive! The funny thing was, it didn't rub me totally wrong when I was with, but it was after that I thought about things and I was irritated. Ultimately, I'm glad I had this experience because I am a nurse and I never want to treat my patients this way!

Thanks everyone for your replies! This is a really great group of women and you all have been inviting to me! I really appreciate the warmth and sharing that occurs here!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.