1st tri cardio gasping for breath

gina

Cathlete
I am only 2 fetal weeks pregnant. (I have tested positive twice and missed my period.)

I feel like I get out of breath so easily! Is this possible so early or do you think it is all in my head?

Cathe and Sheila say that we should be able to say 2-5 word sentences and not be gasping for breath during cardio. They also say that guidelines have been revised saying we can let our heart rate go above 140.

Not knowing how to really say when I am gasping for breath, I decided to put on the monitor and see what 140 felt like.

140 is not working out all that hard -- I had to modify the step in 10/10/10 tremendously to stay that low. But any higher and I did feel like I am gasping.

I AM SO CONFUSED!!!! Any words of wisdom here?

Also, on the subject of gasping for breath...

I also did some PS legs this morning and had to really pause the vcr and let my heart rate come down before I could start another set. And I was lifting a tad bit light for me!

How can people keep up their typical weight routines if this gasping happens? I can't imagine doing LL!

It took me 70 minutes to do an actual 50 minutes of work.

At this point--or earlier!!--I should probably point out that I had a very weak cup of coffee before my workout. SEE MY SUBSEQUENT POST. I am really thinking I should give it up and see what my breathing is like.

How do you all monitor this? I repeat I feel confused!

Gina

Hi Gina,
Your gasping for breath is very normal even this early on. I went through the same thing (I am 21 weeks now) and could not believe that I could get so winded so early on when i am in great shape. This is my first child so I did not know what to expect. The reason you are gasping for breath is due to an increase in progesterone which stimulates the breathing center of the brain. This is to improve the transfer of oxygen/carbon dioxide between mother and baby. As for elevated heart rate, your blood volume needs to increase to supply both you and the developing baby. This takes time. In the meantime, your heart must pump a little faster to deliver the same amount of blood to your working muscles and to the baby which accounts for the elevated heart rate without much effort. Your body will catch up by the end of the first trimester and you will notice a marked improvement in exercise tolerance and breathlessness. Keep up with the exercise though because studies have shown that regular exercise makes for a healthy placenta which is your child's lifeline.

Thank you! That was very clear. I am going to print it out and show my husband!

I have been working out for 13 years, 5 with Cathe, and can't posibly imagine NOT exercising. I was even short of breath talking (on and on for training) to a new co-worker!

Gina

Hi Gina,

Beets has given you a brilliant answer to your question, but just to reassure you further (if you need it!) that this also happened to me. I would get breathless just talking to friends for any length of time, to the point where they would ask if I was ok!! This has settled down now that I am in the 2nd trimester and my energy levels are actually very good - to the point where I am actually feeling fitter (cardiovascular-wise) than before I was pregnant.
I found that, during the first tri, taking a few minutes out to slowly and deeply breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth really helped alot with this breathlessness. I also took regular breaks whilst actually working out to rehydrate and catch my breath.
I'm sure that I heard or read somewhere that a woman can greatly increase her cardiovascular performance when working out whilst pregnant, due to the increased weightload and oxygen supply needed. I think someone even posted recently that they did their first workout after having the baby and it seemed "easy" compared to before having the baby! Here's hoping!

Take care,

Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

Yes, that is what I am doing--taking breaks to drink water and catch my breath.

Speaking of water, I know I don't ever drink enough of it, but boy do I feel aware of it now. My mouth gets dry and tastes awful!

Gina

This may sound weird but I think the energy loss really is almost immediate. Earlier this week (day 10 after conception: too early to even test and know I was pregnant!) I couldn't finish Body Max, even with modifications. I got so winded I lowered my step. Then I took out the power movements. Then I just sat down on my step and stared at the TV going, what the HECK is going on here?! Yesterday, because I was still feeling tired, I took a leisurely one mile walk and it was difficult! Difficult! I do that on *rest* days! Finally, I had to test last night because I thought, if I'm not pregnant, there's something very wrong!

Erica, mine isn't so much an energy loss problem, but one of breathing hard and a rapid heart beat. It is actually frustrating for me to have to slow down and take a break. Hmm... which is worse- actually feeling worn out or wanting to work harder but knowing you shouldn't. I guess the former.

How sad is this--I am planning on doing Interval Max tomorrow and using Interval time to recoup! (I know it isn't *really* sad, I am very lucky. Interval Max is a relatively new tape for me and I am bummed not to be able to max out.)

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.