Are you still eating rice?

eminenz2

Cathlete
With all the new information out about arsenic in rice, I'm wondering if you're keeping it as a part of your diet.

I really love brown rice, but apparently it has the most arsenic of all. :(

I don't eat rice because I prefer other foods not because of the arsenic in it. I didn't know there was arsenic in it. I did know that some fruits have arsenic. Its naturally occurring in some seeds: apricot and apple comes to mind, but people don't eat those seeds.

Rice has the arsenic because it's easily absorbed into the grain through the ground during growth.

Yes, I'm still eating it. There have been hundreds of scares over the years. Now is just another one. If we stopped eating everything that was flagged, there would hardly be anything left including those precious "clean" foods. I can't even keep count how many "clean" foods have been contaminated or condemned at one point or another.

Life is too short and worrying will kill you far faster than a naturally occuring toxin/mineral. Keep in mind, Rice has been a staple in Asian countries for 1,000s of years. They have one of the longest lifespans on earth. Enough said, I should think.

I'm not happy about the news of arsenic, but I'm not going to give up rice. We only eat it once or twice a week at most anyway since there are so many other grains that we enjoy eating. Besides, who knows what other harmful elements are lurking in all the foods we eat (even when the foods are organically produced)?! To me, this is just more evidence of the importance of moderation and variety in our diets.

Yup. I don't eat it that often, and I'm sure thd levels aren't that high. If it kills me, so be it. Something will.

Oh heck yes! I'm not easily swayed by health food scares/warnings. I love Asian and Caribbean cuisine and the meal is not complete without rice.

I agree with mrsprincess07 100% on this topic.

Natasha

Oh heck yes! I'm not easily swayed by health food scares/warnings. I love Asian and Caribbean cuisine and the meal is not complete without rice.

I agree with mrsprincess07 100% on this topic.

Natasha

Natasha, we are on the same page girl. I just bought a 20 pound bag of brown rice. Love my spanish rice, can't give that up.
It seems like there is something in almost everything that is not good for us. I am not going to be foolish, but I won't live scared either.

I'm with those who take the "warnings" with a grain of salt. There's a new one out every day it seems. I'm so done with it. :rolleyes:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.