worn out shoes?

cjanemartin

Cathlete
I was just wondering how often you all buy new shoes. I am wearing Ryka shoes and they were doing great, but over the last two days I am starting to get a blister. Very strange. I workout with Cathe 6 days a week. I bought the shoes in October. They shouldn't be worn out yet should they?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Christi

No expert or anything, but I think that is a really individual thing.
You have to consider your weight, a person my size is going to wear through a shoe faster than a person at 130lbs. The amount of impact I'm placing on a shoe doing the same workout as that lighter person is much different, and I'll wear my shoe out faster just because I'm heavier and putting more wear and tear on my shoe. Also, if you're using the same shoe 6x/week, not alternating it with any other, there's a time factor and wear and tear factor there too.
I alternate between 2 pairs of shoes, but still I change mine about every 6 months. I seem to stretch them out of shape, I am an overpronator, so my shoe will "roll" outward after a while.
So I judge my shoe change by the fit. Once I've rolled them over and replaced the insole a few times, I usually move on and use the old workout shoe for a new casual tennis shoe.

Donna

Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

I agree with what Donna says, but it does seem like an unusually short period of time for shoes to last. If you were having foot or joint pain, my first thought would be that you've lost the cushioning in your shoes, but since the problem is a blister, have you checked to make sure your socks are ok and haven't worn thin? Also, what kind of shoes have you been wearing during the day? If they rub your feet at all and your workout shoes are a little tight in the same spot, you might get a blister even if both pairs of shoes are reasonably comfortable separately. Finally, is there a reason your feet might be a little larger or smaller than normal (walking/standing a lot, water retention, weather)? If so, it might help to lace your shoes tighter or looser, or wear different socks. Of course it could still be the shoes, these are just some other things I thought of.

Audrey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.