Workout while semi-fasting??

Shaz

Cathlete
I just got the Power Half hour series, and the nutrional information booklet that comes with it recommends that (for fat loss) you workout in a semi-fasting state, ie don't eat (especially carbs) for a couple of hours before exercising. This is even though the workouts are resistance/weights. They say that this encourages the body to burn fat rather than carbs.

They also say that shouldn't eat for 3 hours before sleeping, even if you go to bed a little hungry. This is so that you burn fat (not carbs) while you are asleep. What do you think about this advice?

By the way, I've tried for the last few days not eating for 3 hours before bed, and I just can't do it. I workout early evening, then have dinner, then I'm hungy again a couple of hours later (ie close to bedtime). I can't get to sleep if I'm hungry!

Sharon

It's similar to what I do--I don't fast but I've been on low carb for about 2 years. The results have been amazing--I lost about 30 lbs in 2 months & have kept it off.

You will feel weaker at first until your body adjusts to taking in less carbs. It took me about 6 weeks or so to get back to normal strength.

If you're trying to lose weight you definitely should not eat before bedtime. My largest meal of the day is usually lunch, then a normal sized dinner, & that holds me til morning.

The key here is discipline. I think if you get through 2 weeks or so of the diet you'll get used to it & it won't be nearly as difficult.

Hi Maximus, thanks for your response. I'd love to hear more about your low carb diet. Are you doing it Atkins style or is it low fat as well? Are you eating lots of vegetables and just cutting down on starch?

I don't have weight to lose as such, just a lot of fat on my lower body that I'd like to shift. I can be disciplined (well most of the time), but if I can't sleep then I have to eat something. It's not the same as giving in to a craving, it is simply that I can't do my job well if I haven't slept well. I make sure I eat plenty during the day, so don't know why I always have to eat at bedtime.

I am making sure I don't eat in the couple of hours leading up to working out though. Also, I've been eating more salads/veg and less potato/bread. Some of my trousers that were gradually getting tighter are fitting better, so I'm pleased about that.

Now if only I could stop the PMS chocolate binging.....!! x(

Sharon

Hi Sharon--I've been doing Atkins. I take lots of vitamin supplements--I take zinc & vitamin C b/c it really did affect my immune system, I guess b/c I stopped eating fruit. About 6 mos. into the diet I started getting colds like every 6 weeks. Also I take a multivitamin. I do eat vegetables, asparagus being my favorite b/c I like the taste & it's pretty low carb, about 3 carbs per serving.

See I think it's OK to eat before a w/o--probably right before & right after are the best times to eat b/c you burn it right off. My problem is I feel a little queasy if I eat too much before a w/o, so usually I have something light (like a hard boiled egg) & then a really large meal after.

I also do have what I call my "binge" days. I have a summer rental on the Jersey shore & I just cannot lie on the beach in front of the boardwalk, smelling french fries & pizza all day, w/o cheating a little. Besides, we all need a little something to look forward to, right?

I don't know what to say about the eating before bedtime. It really is the worst time to eat if you're trying to lose weight and/or fat. On the other hand, if not eating b4 bed affects your job performance that's not good either. Maybe if you're going to do low carb you can just have a low carb snack, like peanuts (about 7 carbs per serving) or pepperoni & cheese (0 carbs).

Probably you already know your chocolate cravings are chemical--your seratonin levels drop during your cycle, & chocolate has lots of seratonin. I don't know if there's another seratonin rich food you can eat instead of chocolate, perhaps someone else on the board could answer that question.

Hi Maximus, my boyfriend is doing Atkins as well and has lost over a stone. I worry about him not eating vegetables though. He is planning to convert to a Zone-type diet at some point.

I'll try eating something protein instead of carbs before bed and see if I can sleep that way.

The problem with my chocolate (and sugar) cravings is that it can take me days to get back on track again. My appetite goes crazy. I feel so much better when I'm eating healthy, so it doesn't really make sense!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.