Whatever happened to Charlene Prickett?

JT

Cathlete
When I first started stepping back in the late 1980s, there was Gin Miller, Keli Roberts (CherFitness), Charlene Prickett, Jane Fonda, maybe Cathe, Denise Austin, The Original Firm, Kathy Smith and Richard Simmons. Plus, Karen Voight.

Charlene is from Texas but moved to Calgary,Alberta Canada. I haven't seen anything from her in years. Her step workouts were crazy hard.

Haven't seen much of Keli Roberts either.

charlene prickett

HI, I have not heard anything about Charlene in years. I liked Karen Voight (did you know she is Angelina Jolies have sister?), Gin Miller & Kathy Smith. I also very much liked Corey Everson's tapes.

Charlene Prickett is still around. She has some newer step workouts that she made with her daughter. Check her out at CharlenePrickett.com

charlene i bought and took back. too much talking for me. maybe i just picked the wrong one.jane fonda was the first one i tried and like.

laura

I used to do Charlene's workouts when she was on TV in the 80's and the talking was ok, because the shows were different, but I found with her videos that hearing the same chatter or and over was just too much. It is fantastic though that she's still out there making workouts. :D

Funny, I never knew Charlene Prickett, but did know and workout with the others.

What about Margaret Richards of The Body Electric? I used to really like her. She had a chest movement I still do but have never seen anyone else do. You just roll your shoulders into towards your chest and squeeze your chest muscles in a contraction, sort of looks like a bodybuilding pose. I sometimes tack these on at the end of a workout for that little extra oomph. Or I do them in ME instead of squeezing the ball. I also liked Margaret's standing oblique work. It is sort of funny to me now to think how I used to find some of her routines so challenging. I would be fun to try one now and see if it is in fact hard. Maybe I'd be surprised. Maybe if I used 10 pounds instead of the old 5's. Perhaps it was just the sheer length of the routine without stopping that made it challenging.

I try to save my Collage catalogues. Thinking about replacing my turquise/pink/purple step for Cathe's. It bought to mind of all the oldies.

Funny, I never knew Charlene Prickett, but did know and workout with the others.

What about Margaret Richards of The Body Electric? I used to really like her. She had a chest movement I still do but have never seen anyone else do. You just roll your shoulders into towards your chest and squeeze your chest muscles in a contraction, sort of looks like a bodybuilding pose. I sometimes tack these on at the end of a workout for that little extra oomph. Or I do them in ME instead of squeezing the ball. I also liked Margaret's standing oblique work. It is sort of funny to me now to think how I used to find some of her routines so challenging. I would be fun to try one now and see if it is in fact hard. Maybe I'd be surprised. Maybe if I used 10 pounds instead of the old 5's. Perhaps it was just the sheer length of the routine without stopping that made it challenging.

I used to workout withb Margaret too, back then when women did not workout with weights. She has a few dvds out.
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/margaret-richards-all-my-best-1-and-2-5848

I got rid

I threw out Charlene's DVD's because they were so boring. Perhaps I sold them on Ebay, and I can't remember.

I threw out Charlene's DVD's because they were so boring. Perhaps I sold them on Ebay, and I can't remember.

That's a bit harsh and unkind, IMO. Her workouts were pretty forward thinking for her time--her show was on in the early 80s after all. It's definitely simple choreography and basic moves and they may be "boring" by today's standards, but she did a lot to promote fitness in that era. I got started into exercising doing her show and I'm still into it more than 20 years later!

I think she still does her winter adventures in the Rockies.

Oh, a side note, she is originally from Arkansas, not Texas, IIRC.

I used to do both Charlene Prickett's and Margaret Richards back in the 80's. I still have VHS tapes of some of the tv shows - terrible quality, but they were my first and I hate to throw them away. Charlene sells some of her DVD's on her website http://charleneprickett.com/ and Margaret has a large number of hers (she often has sales) on her site as well http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/. I have a number of Margaret's - and she was still on PBS last year, but I haven't checked lately.

I remember her workouts being chatty but effective for me at the time. I'm glad she's still putting out workouts. You can tell she loves what she does.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.