What is your "problem muscle"?

KayM

Cathlete
I figure everyone has got one muscle group that is their weakest area in terms of strength training.

For me, it's my legs. I had such strong legs as a teenager, but right now they're my problem area and I HATE working them (although I force myself to). It seems like progress is so slow!

Conversely, my biceps are probably my strongest muscle (as with most people I guess). I use 10lb dumbells for biceps which is good progress from a couple of months ago when I was using 3 lbs. :)

So what is your weak area?

I think my weakest muscle would have to be my tricps.And I think that I would also like to tone up this part the most to.
I hate training my legs but they are strong.Other then that my strongest or most well developed would have to be my shoulders, then it would be my biceps.
Lori

Definitely my biceps! I have the wimpiest biceps. It took me months to get from using a 20# barbell to a 25# barbell for curls and I suspect I'll be stuck at the 25# barbell for a long time.

For me, it's shoulders. Glutes and abs tie for second.
It's a skill to keep the shoulders developing without overworking them. I'm doing my best on this sensitive area.

Chest, I guess??? Can keep up with Cathe's weights on any of the strength videos, but still can't do all the pushups, even on my knees. Haven't given up, though.

Calves!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care what I do they are still invisible. I will have calves at the end of this year. I will I will I will!

Biceps!! I am soooo weak in my biceps, yet I've got big muscles. I can match Cathe in most areas, but when it comes to biceps, I am MANY POUNDS below what she uses for biceps (except hammer curls -- I can go heavier than her. Weird, huh??).

I guess my triceps aren't too whoopy either. :-(

Hollie

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-03 AT 01:55PM (Est)[/font][p]Mine are the shoulders..the highest I can manage with side lateral raises are 8 lbs and sometimes have to go down to 5. :-(

~~ Sharon ~~

Truly, I am starting to think every muscle in my body is a problem muscle because after FIVE WHOLE MONTHS of strength training I've rarely increased my weights on anything! I'm nowhere near where everyone else says they are. :-(

I've also noticed that the muscle groups that look the best are not the strongest. My quads are looking developed, but I STILL can't walk up my three flights of stairs from the subway (which I do everyday) without complete muscle failure at the end. Also, my glutes feel like steel and have rounded out, but they do nothing to get me up those subway stairs either!! What gives?

Meanwhile, I can do 10 times as many crunches as I did when starting out, but those muscles cannot be seen at all. All I see is a big, fat middle.

Push-ups are the hardest exercise for me. I just never make any progress and get so frustrated, sometimes I even skip them.

It's all starting to get to me. I never imagined I could work this hard at something and make so little progress. I may quit strength training completely this week when my step arrives, and just do cardio for awhile. <sigh>.

-Nancy :-(

Nancy!!!
Don't give up girl!!! :)
Progress comes slowly sometimes, but then suddenly you see so much all of the sudden, and then it just all pays off. Believe me, it will pay off!
Cardio burns off the layer of fat over your stomach muscles (and all over) ..that your muscles may be getting more developed, but that you need to lose the weight covering the muscles..

That is great you are gettin a new step! You will see some great improvements, even with that new step! My thighs/quads are SO much more toned from using a step co step, I know it is from stepping!

As far as pushups-maybe try one during the workout, then the next day, try two pushups and so on-that is what someone else taught me from another forum! :)

My problem muscle would have to be my ankles. I think they are weak sometimes! Like going ice skating, they get very sore!!
Also, my triceps are not as strong as I will them to be! Jaime

Finally seeing over the crest of the shoulder plateau....

Another shoulder vote here. I'm finally making itsy, bitsy progress after weeks of behind-the-neck presses with a barbell.

Ann

Funny you mention this because today as I was looking in the mirror and decided i really need to focus on my triceps. I guess this is good because it has ALWAYS ALWAYS been my legs! I just got through a 3 week S&H rotation and I was way below the weights cathe uses for triceps so i guess this is no suprise

Me too!

Another non-owner of the tricpes muscle over here!

And shoulders.....groan, can't get off this pathetically weak plateau!

Clare

In terms of physical weakness, chest (never gets any stronger) and shoulders, but only with regard to the overhead pressing motion. Front raises, etc., are ok.

In terms of appearance, thighs and butt. Although I admit, they might improve more if I were even remotely consistent about training them, but I have to really force myself to do it.

Audrey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.