What You Wear Can Change Your Life book...

workout junkie

Cathlete
Nancy, Lori, and whoever else has the What to Wear book,

I read your threads earlier regarding the What You Wear Can Change Your Life book. Tried to find it at Target the other day but no luck. So I was wondering if you could help me out. Can you summarize and tell me what they say about jewelry? I've got my eye on a few pieces, and before I splurge I'd like to know their take on it.

Thanks,
Melissa

I'm at work now, and don't have the book with me, but they say that large-boned women can wear large pieces of jewelry, but small-boned women should wear more delicate jewelry. You are large-boned if you have big hands and feet I think. A small-boned person has small wrists and narrow ankles. I think that's how it works.

I'm updating as I remember here:

If you have a round face, don't go for round earrings.

Larger-busted women should be wearing v-neck blouses, and the necklace should be short. It should stay inside the V of the v-neck.

Susannah is small-boned and large-chested, like me, and they always have her wearing the shorter more delicate necklaces. But Trinny wears larger, longer pieces.

If you have a short neck, wear earrings that dangle a bit.

Thanks for responding Nancy! Do you recall what they say about trends like y-necklaces and bangles? What about white gold or yellow gold? What about mixing white and yellow gold (like a white gold bangle and a yellow gold bangle)? If you can't tell I have my eye on some gold bangles. I have mostly gold jewelry and am trying to add some white to my collection. Also want some sterling "summer" jewelry without spending too much.

Maybe I should just get their book - do you find it really helpful? I can't afford to go buy a new wardrobe - just bought 3 pairs of Lucky jeans!

For some reason, they said generally not to mix gold and silver. I'm really not sure why.

The book is pretty good. I don't know whether it's more or less helpful than their first book. I may have missed something by not getting that one. I'm still confused about color.

I haven't read the book, but when I happened to catch them on Oprah: After the Show they said it was okay to mix gold/silver in pieces which were originally designed that way--as one piece, but not to do it on your own.

Hmmm. Ok, thanks for the info. I don't know if I agree with everything they say though, from what I've heard, they mix some colors that I don't think I could do. I'm still going to wear my black pants with a colored top even though that's a big no-no.

Thanks Nancy. From what I've heard about their take on color, I'd be confused too! Maybe their first book would be more basic. I should go to Amazon and check out their reviews...

I think it's okay to wear black with darker colors, like chocolate brown and navy or darker blues. Charcoal gray is great with black. Even a deep red works well with black. The problem is when you go for a lighter color, it often just can't stand up to the black. Black is so strong, it just doesn't work. I happen to agree with T&S about that.

Hi, I am jumping in late here. The first book doesn't go that much into color as the third book does. The first book is great for dressing for your shape.

As far as the jewelry thing, Nancy has hit it right on. One more thing that I can remember is they don't like cubic zirconia studs. They say if you are going to go fake, get a little daring and wear something more original.

My opinion is buy some pieces you like, that are special to you, and enjoy wearing them. :)

Lori

Melissa, you can also buy the book at Walmart. My mom bought her copy there. I bought mine at barnesandnoble.com.

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.