What would you do?

Yvanna

Cathlete
If your longtime SO bought you a gift (jewellery)- that he paid a pretty penny for - and was obviously excited about - but really wasn't to your liking - would you tell him?

I am in this situation too. I've decided to keep the jewelry and wear it on special occasions. I appreciate the kind gesture and because it means something to DH, it means something to me. It's a tough call to make, especially when it was expensive and your SO was very excited about it. I hope you're able to come to a decision that makes the both of you happy.

Yeah, maybe you should keep it, unless its very hard on the eyes! hahaha:) The thing is, its a gift.It may not be something that you would buy for yourself but he picked it out and was thinking of you when he bought it so I would say, keep it.

I on the other hand, am returning the eye cream DH bought me! haha. It came in a little box and I said, is this suppose to be a stocking stuffer? He said, it was until I looked at the price.It was $60 for eye ceam.I am only 27 and I don't need $60 eye cream yet! I think I will buy a shirt or jeans isstead...LOL
Lori:)

Yvanna- I made the mistake of returning such a gift once. Don't do what I did. It didn't take me long to realize that his feelings meant a lot more to me than some piece of jewelry. I NEVER ENJOYED WEARING THE JEWELRY I EXCHANGED IT FOR. NOT ONCE! And I always regretted my decision.

Accept it graciously and see if you can't find something to wear it with. Don't make the same mistake I did.

But I'm definitely with Lori on returning the eye cream. LOL.

-Nancy

Thank you ladies

For your very honest replies.

You are right.
I would feel very badly about hurting his feelings and after thinking about it some more - would indeed feel funny about wearing an item that I chose instead.

Thanks again,
Yve

RE: Thank you ladies

I showed disappointment when I open a gift form DH one year and once took back an item I didn't think we had the money for and it took 15 years before he boutght me any kind of jewelly again.

Thats funny (well not really) the funny part is that my BIL did that to my sister one year.They are both very stubborn people and she found out that he had bought her a beautiful diamond braclet for christmas.So she decided to take it back b/c she didn't think that she would wear it very much and it was VERY expensive.Then she kept staring at it and fell in love with it and wanted to keep it.But he wouldn't tell her to keep it b/c she had ruined the surprise.This went on for a whole day, until she finally returned it but it killed her to do it.
Lori:)

I went for a preemptive strike with my DH back when he was my BF. I asked him hypothetically, what would he want me to do? He said honesty is a great policy... but I don't always feel it's a warm policy!!!

I like the preemptive strikes. I think I might return some Victoria's Secret clothes he got me. (Why on earth he thinks they are the only place that sells clothes, I have no idea. I don't usually feel good in them.)

I agree with the ladies here. Eye cream or a sweater is one thing, but something given by your SO or DH from the heart is another.

This just reminded me of something. Did anyone ever see the Dick Van Dyke episode where Laura was given an awful pin of the United States by her mother in law and it accidentally got put down the garbage disposal?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.