Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Weight work 3 times a week?

This is a discussion on Weight work 3 times a week? within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; How many times a week do you weight work? I mean total Body, i.e. - High Reps, Muscle Max, TriSets, ...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Cathlete
gonnabea5's Profile Fields

Question Weight work 3 times a week?

How many times a week do you weight work? I mean total Body, i.e. - High Reps, Muscle Max, TriSets, Power Hour, etc?

I used to do it three times a week, saw great results, and felt so strong. These were the times I could do almost all of her pushups on my toes. But, now I noticed that Cathe's monthly rotations rarely show weight work three times a week. I also noticed that on some of her weightwork workout descriptions, it says to do them at least twice a week but no more than three. I dont know why I stopped doing this.

Anyway, I'm going back to it for a while and see what results I can get.

All thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Cathlete
melagras's Profile Fields

I always workout with weights three times a week. I don't follow Cathe's rotations. They don't work for me.
tralaiven likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Catheite
Sissy1983's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by melagras View Post
I always workout with weights three times a week. I don't follow Cathe's rotations. They don't work for me.
Agreed! I can't be held to a rotation like that cause I have to use the Childcare at the gym. I do however lift weights 3x a week. That's why I love sts and I just insert cardio

~~~What doesn't kill you makes your Stronger~~~
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Cathlete

I'm going back weight training 3x week for my next 4 week rotation. One of which will be a circuit workout. I'm feeling the need for some extra cardio these days and circuits are a good way to fit in cardio and weight training in one workout. Plus mega calorie burn for me typically.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM

Actually the new XTrain Series has weight training 3 x each week and includes circuit/metabolic training as well. The weight training is like STS in that you work Chest, Back and Shoulders one day, Bi's & Tri's another and Legs the 3rd day. It differs from STS in that it alternates lifting technique between burn sets and higher reps (16). I love it and have managed to both increase my muscle mass and the amount I can lift for most exercises in a month. I am not looking to bulk up but feel I need to increase muscle mass in order to increase my metabolism. Seems to be working.

HTH,
Vicky
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Cathlete
mini-natty's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabea5 View Post
How many times a week do you weight work? I mean total Body, i.e. - High Reps, Muscle Max, TriSets, Power Hour, etc?

I have not done *total body* weight work (like the ones you mentioned) in awhile. However, last year I did a rotation with:
1 total body + 1 UB + 1 LB for 3 months and got excellent results. I NEED a minimum 3 weight days to see results and keep muscle mass. I can build muscle, but it does not come easily on my body frame . Increasing my weight days has been the key .

Lately I have been focusing on split UB/LB weight work. Some weeks I can do up to 4 weight work sessions/week (2UB/2LB). I love weight training and dread cardio to a certain extent, so I guess that works well in my favor .
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Cathlete
MAYNARDSMOM's Profile Fields

I lift 3x's a week. As I have become more "mature" that dividing these three days between body parts works best for me. Mon upper body split Wed lower body and Thurs the rest of upper body I didn't hit on Monday. Abds three days a week also, usually another day.

This is not to say I don't occasionally do total body workouts but not on a regular basis.

"..bad company corrupts good character"
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Cathlete
gonnabea5's Profile Fields

Vicky, that format in XTrain is what is not working for me. I need total body 3 times a week. ie 2 heavy and 1 low weight/high reps one. Total body weight work has never bulked me up, but has made me stronger/increased muscle max. Crazy as it sounds, it normally leans me out and the extra fat burning from more muscle helped burn more calories. That's why I'm going back to it.

Thanks for your input ladies.
tralaiven, mini-natty and atompki1 like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Cathlete
jengollf's Profile Fields

I'm loosely following the Xtrain rotation right now and it is working for me, but it is not how I generally like to structure my rotations. I always have a hard time fitting everything I want into my time schedule. But I like to do heavy lifting for each muscle group once a week--generally in a split routine, then hit each muscle group again with a total body workout. Then at least one metabolic weight training workout each week and at least one HIIT/plyo workout each week. And I want cardio AT LEAST 4 times a week. I can't always make all of that happen w/out doing doubles and right now I cannot do doubles because I am working longer hours. So I'm doing the rotation and am actually getting really great results.
FitVicky likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM

I too have been loosely following the Xtrain rotation but have been adding in additional workouts. I still take a day off but have combined some cardio and weight days, especially using Hard Strikes as a ďwarm upĒ for an upper body strength training day. This gives me an extra day for either a Cathe circuit workout, Hi Reps or Leah Sarago upper body work (lots of plank variations and light weights/ballet inspired moves.) Iím also doing power yoga 1-3x a week (lots of upper body.) Itís a mix that seems to be working well. I think if I were just doing the strength training in the Xtrain rotation, Iíd be wanting more. But, I also donít have the home equipment to go as heavy as I could for chest and back. I do more reps and pushups, but that may be impacting my results.

I do love Xtrain though and part of what I love is that the workout lengths vary, so I have time to tweak to my needs. I do plan to go back to more Total Body workouts after this rotation.