Warrior Dash

ssquared

I will be participating in my first Warrior Dash on August 18th. I am not worried about being able to run the distance, but am a little concerned about being able to successfully complete the obstacles. I have run several 5K and 10K races in the past. I know it's a little late to start thinking about how to train for this, but it sort of snuck on me! Right now, I work out about 5 times a week, all with Cathe and usually one day of running 3-4 miles. I typically do about 3 days of lifting with Cathe...STS or Gym Styles or something. I will throw in an Afterburn, Athletic Training, or something from Cross Train once a week. Are there any adjustments to my current routine that would help me be more prepared for this undertaking? I've never done one before, so I have no clue if I will be ready for this, or if I am in for a big surprise because I am way off base with my fitness level. I don't feel I have to be one of the top finishers, but I don't want to look like an idiot, either. Any suggestions would be welcome!

I just did my first Warrior Dash on June 28th and loved it. So much so that I already signed up for next year. My profile picture is me jumping over one of three fire lines. I did it with a group of coworkers and they are at all different fitness levels. Some had a harder time and did not do all the obstacles and then some seemed to breeze through all of them with no troubles.
I am 51 years old and in great shape thanks to Cathe! I work out to her just about every day and was towards the end of STS when I did the dash and I am happy to say I was able to get through all the obstacles. The one that was the hardest and a lot of people do not do is the Great Warrior Wall. OMG! Took all my strength to get over that wall. You need TONS of upper body strength to do this. Since it sounds like you work out regularly and in great shape I think you will do very well. If I had to recommend anything it would be to concentrate on upper body strength.

Good luck and let me know how you did!!!!!

I did my first WD as well last April. DH and I did it w/ a group of friends who have all done it before. I agree w/ labnick on concentrating on upper body strength. I didn't have any trouble w/ the obstacles, they were my favorite part of the Dash. We had the big wall on our course too and they key I found to that one was to lean backwards when pulling myself up w/ the rope and doing the same on the way down. We had A LOT of water obstacles and after my feet got stuck pretty deep in the muck on the very first one, I figured out to just swim through them and keep my feet from the bottom b/c getting stuck really slowed me down and took a lot of energy I needed to save for the running. My team said the one we did in April was much harder than the previous one they did so I guess depending on the course, some can be tougher than others. The final mud obstacle was ridiculous, it was so so thick, waist deep and crazy hard to get through but I don't think most of them are that bad from what I've learned. Finally, what really helped me prepare was watching videos people posted on You Tube of the obstacles. Best of luck! You'll do great and have a blast!!

I did my first WD last September. It was the funnest thing I have ever done. There was only one obstacle that I did not care for. It was the very first one and it was in cold muddy water, along the bottom were big slippery uneven logs and had to climb over these bouy type things that were very wobbly and unstable. My poor husband was climbing over the first set of bouy's and went all the way under. But after that I found it pretty easy. I was pre worried about the rope climbing walls, the climbing part was pretty easy. The hard part for me was at the top making it over the top (which was a little muddy and wet) and getting my first foot on the foot hold board because I am just under 5'2".So I had to carefully lower to reach it. To anyone wanting to do it but unsure, GO FOR IT. Warrior Dash Very doable for anyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.