Vertical Weight Rack - dumbbell types?

nnowick

I would like to get the York Vertical Weight Rack Cathe uses in the 4 Day split series. Problem is, it's described online as holding both rubber hex and chrome dumbbells, but not other types. Most of my dumbbells are either York cast iron or rubber coated. I called the store and was told that they couldn't guarantee it would hold these dumbbells, and I would be better off ordering an A-frame rack. I find the A-frame racks less attractive -- and they don't hold as many pairs as the York.

If you have the York vertical 2-sided rack, can you tell me whether it holds cast iron or rubber-coated dumbbells?

Thank you!

I just got the York vertical weight rack for Christmas and I really like it. I have 30#, 25#, 20# and 15# in gray cast-iron hex dumbbells and they all fit great.

I have a pair of 12# soft-neoprene dumbbells that are contoured for easier gripping, but these don't fit because they are not long enough in the handle.

Then I have 10# and 8# in soft-neoprene coated dumbbells that do fit fine, but they have a straight handle.

I also have 5# and 3# vinyl-coated dumbbells that don't really fit - they just kind of hang in there, but again, the handle is a little short. I was wondering if I got cast-iron versions of these if I would find that the cast-iron weights have longer handles so they would fit better?

I just measured the handles of the weights that fit and they all measure 5". The vinyl-coated ones are only 4.5" and my contoured ones are 4.75". Measure your handles- if they are 5" long they should work.

Lori Ann --

I haven't been able to be online since I sent my message on New Year's Day, so apologies for this belated thank you for your helpful comments.

I've measured my dumbbells and all of the larger cast iron ones have handles at least 5" long. The lighter ones (beginning with 8s) have handles that are between 4.5" and 5". And the vinyl coated ones are all less than 5" too. But if they'll hang on the stand, that would work for me. I just don't want all of them on the floor. (Well, I don't really care if they're on the floor, but the rest of my family does.)

So I'm going to order the stand and hope that most of my weights will fit. I can put the smaller ones in a little box or something anyway, I have more than 8 sets.

Thanks again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.