Upper GI

sophiem

Cathlete
I may need to have an upper GI test to see if I have an ulcer. Right now I don't have any details on it though. Can anybody who has had one tell me about their experience? I was reading some stuff on-line about it and it sounds awful with the barium and the all, but maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

I've had an upper GI. The Barium is not particularly tasty but the whole test was no big deal for me. It is pretty much like drinking something chalky (a little heavy feeling inside) and some X-Rays. The heavy feeling goes away pretty quickly.

I also did have an ulcer. It was treated and has not returned.

Did you also have to take something the night prior to evactuate your bowels? (talk about a personal question, hey?)

Also, would you mind sharing how you got the ulcer and how it was treated?

I don't remember some of the details of my upper GI. I don't remember having to take anything to evacuate my bowels before having the upper GI. I just remember needing to fast a certain amount of time.

I was told that I got my ulcer due to excessive stomach acid. They treated it by medication and antacids. I did have some changes in my diet. Mine was a bleeding ulcer. It has been more than a decade since I had mine so treatment is likely more advanced now!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.