Unpleasant Side Effects

So, I've REALLY cleaned up my eating in the last two months. I've lost inches and fat and feel great, except for one thing.. I'm so swollen and bloated that I look pregnant. I also have some serious gas (I Know. TMI. Smells like rotten eggs, sulphur!!!). I can't figure out what I'm eating that's causing it. Here's a sample of my daily menu. It doesn't really change much. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day, around 15% fat, 35% carbs, and 50% protein. Sometimes not that high on the protein, but def. more protein than carbs.

Breakfast:
1/2 c. Old-Fash. Oatmeal w/1/2 scoop BSN Lean Dess. protein powder
Oven-baked egg white omelte w/mushrooms, tomatoes, small amount of cheese

Snacks before lunch:
low fat string cheese, small Gala apple, slice of sprouted bread
1 serving (1/2 c) ff cottage cheese

Lunch:
grilled chicken, large spinach salad
3 hardboiled egg whites

Snacks after lunch:
Pro Pudding Protein pudding (25 grams protein, very low carbs..)
Myoplex protein bar (15 grams protein)

Dinner:
fish or chicken, green beans

Snack:
BSN Synta 6 protein shake (200 calories, 23 grams protein)

So, what the heck is my problem?!?!

So, I've REALLY cleaned up my eating in the last two months. I've lost inches and fat and feel great, except for one thing.. I'm so swollen and bloated that I look pregnant. I also have some serious gas (I Know. TMI. Smells like rotten eggs, sulphur!!!). I can't figure out what I'm eating that's causing it. Here's a sample of my daily menu. It doesn't really change much. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day, around 15% fat, 35% carbs, and 50% protein. Sometimes not that high on the protein, but def. more protein than carbs.

Breakfast:
1/2 c. Old-Fash. Oatmeal w/1/2 scoop BSN Lean Dess. protein powder
Oven-baked egg white omelte w/mushrooms, tomatoes, small amount of cheese

Snacks before lunch:
low fat string cheese, small Gala apple, slice of sprouted bread
1 serving (1/2 c) ff cottage cheese

Lunch:
grilled chicken, large spinach salad
3 hardboiled egg whites

Snacks after lunch:
Pro Pudding Protein pudding (25 grams protein, very low carbs..)
Myoplex protein bar (15 grams protein)

Dinner:
fish or chicken, green beans

Snack:
BSN Synta 6 protein shake (200 calories, 23 grams protein)

So, what the heck is my problem?!?!

Maybe too much processed protein (powder, pudding, bar, shake) and not enough whole grain fiber? Processed protein products tend to have a lot of chemicals in them, so they aren't particularly "clean". Have you tried eliminating the protein-added items for a few days to see if that helps w/ the gas?

The protein bars, shakes, can contain a certain sugar that makes you gassy! Experiment and see it they are the culprit. Or it could be an increase in fiber?Or do you have an egg allergy? I would play around, using different types of protein. For me, its soy anything.I cannot do soy at all.

I cannot do soy at all either. Sometimes, the sprouted grains get me, almost always eggs get me. It all seems to come and go though. Makes you just want to eat plain, ol' junk sometimes!! Definitely check the ingredients in your protein stuff - some of those aren't as clean as you may like them to be, and look for soy in your stuff. DH, who could eat a bulldozer and not have problems, cannot even eat soy :eek:

I thought it might be the protein shakes and bar, but wasn't sure. They sure are good though. I would hate to give them up. I'm trying to gain some weight/muscle, hence the high protein. I lost 6 pounds when I cleaned up my eating. That's not good. I was down to 98 pounds at 5'3"! I've since gained two pounds back. So, I'm afraid to cut out all the protein and end up losing more weight. I was the picture of skinny fat.

Do you think my calorie intake is too high? too low? I work out 6 days a week, 2 cardio workouts, total body- Jari Love- got good results from those, lowered my body fat by 4%. I'm switching to the Gym Styles series next month. What about my protein, carbs, fats percentages OK?

Edited to add- I was tested for food allergies a couple of years ago, and was found to have a VERY slight allergy to soy. Nothing else though.

If you went from eating lots of carbs and other "bad" foods to all clean eating, you probably lost a ton of water weight. On low carb diets, your body doesn't store as much glygocgen, which is stored with water as well. So, no more carbs = much less stored water in your muscles. And, if you reduced your sodium intake a lot, that would help you get rid of some extra water weight, too. I would be surprised if you lost all 6lbs in lean mass, especially if it happened quickly and you were still weight training.

If you're really trying to gain mass, 1500cals is probably too low.

I've always been a clean eater. I don't eat fast food or processed stuff. I was eating more carbs than I thought. They were good carbs- ww crackers, English muffins.... I was just eating a lot of it. I was also eating about 400 calories worth of nuts a day!

My body fat has gone down, so I know it's fat that I've lost and not just water weight. I don't care about the scale number, but I do care about the body fat %.

Try using something like myfitnesspal.com if you don't already use something like that to track your eating. As for shakes and bars - the drink I have is ON Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey. It does not have artificial stuff in it. There are also some good bars out there - Whole Foods has a nice selection. They also have a drink called Mix 1 that is good.

I'm using fitday right now, and love it.

I will check out the ON protein powder. Maybe that's better than the BSN Syntha and Lean Dessert ones. Those sure taste amazing though :(

I just added the sprouted bread on Monday, so I know that's not the problem. I will prob. just have to eliminate one thing at a time. I also need to drink a lot more water.

I will check out the ON protein powder. Maybe that's better than the BSN Syntha and Lean Dessert ones. Those sure taste amazing though :(

I am sure it does. I would think it is because one of the ingredients is corn syrup solids aka high fructose corn syrup in dry form. I think it also contains MSG. MSG and/or HFCS could be what causes your bloating.

Looking at your sample menu it looks like you eat quite a bit of processed food in the form of protein shakes and bars. Maybe if you eliminate it for 2 weeks it may give you an indication if that is what the problem is.

Also if you have a high protein intake you need to make sure that you increase your water intake.

Thanks for the tips. This all started about a week ago when I REALLY upped the protein by adding in the shake at night.

Corn syrup solids in in it, but it's near the end of the list of ingredients. Does that mean there's not a lot of it in there?

Last edited:
Here's the list of ingredients for the BSN Lean Dessert protein powder. I put 1/2 scoop of this in oatmeal every morning.

Lean Dessert Whipped Vanilla Cream
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Heaping Scoop(35g)
Servings Per Container18

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value†

Calories 130
Calories From Fat 25
Total Fat 3g 5%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Cholesterol 52mg 17%
Total Carbohydrates 7g 2%
Dietary Fiber (Soluble) 1g 4%
Sugars 3g
Protein 20g 40%
Calcium 320mg 32%
Phosphorus 200mg 20%
Magnesium 40mg 10%
Sodium 100mg 4%
Potassium 125mg 4%

ELG Stimulators (Energy, Leaning, And Growth Stimulators) 2.8g **
Glutamine Peptides(Stimulates Muscle Growth And Recovery) **
Canola Oil(A Source Of Omega Fatty Acids- AKA- Good Fats Or Leaning Fats) **
MCT's(Medium Chain Triglycerides- As A Source Of Energy) **

Protein Utilization Enzymes (Promotes Optimum Protein Digestion And Absorption) 70mg **
Aminogen®(Aminogen® Is A Registered Trademark Of TRIARCO INDUSTRIES, INC.) **
Papain **

† Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
** Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
A Sustained Release Multi-Functional Micellar Protein Matrix Comprised Of (Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk] Containing Alpha-Lactalbumin, Containing Alpha-Lactalbumin, Micellar Alpha And Beta Caseins And Caseinates [Milk], Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate [Milk], Containing Whey Isolate Peptide Fractions, Egg Albumin [Egg], Calcium Caseinate [Milk], Milk Protein Concentrate [Milk]), Maltodextrin, Corn Syrup Solids, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Vegetable Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Mono-Glycerides, Di-Glycerides, Sodium Alginate, Lecithin [Soy]

Here's the one that I use for the shake at night- one scoop.

BSN Syntha 6 Chocolate Milk Shake
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Rounded Scoop(44g) ††
Servings Per Container30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value†

Calories 200
Calories From Fat 54
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Cholesterol 55mg 18%
Total Carbohydrates 15g 5%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Sugar 2g **
Protein 22g 44%
Calcium 90mg 9%
Phosphorus 90mg 9%
Sodium 220mg 9%
Potassium 170mg 5%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
** Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
A Sustained Release Ultra-Premium Protein Matrix Comprised Of (Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk] Rich In Alpha Lactalbumin, Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate [Milk] Rich In Whey Isolate Peptide Fractions, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Alpha And Beta Caseins And Caseinates [Milk], Milk Protein Isolate [Milk], Egg Albumin [Egg], Glutamine Peptides), Richmix Sunflower Powder Consisting Of (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate [Milk], Mono-Glycerides, Di-Glycerides, And Dipotassium Phosphate), Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder, Litesse®II Polydextrose, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Nutrisperse MCT Powder Consisting Of (Medium Chain Triglycerides, Nonfat Dry Milk, Di-Sodium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide), Ticalose® Cellulose Gum, Sucralose , Acesulfame Potassium, Lecithin [Soy], Aminogen®, Papain

Ingredients are listed in the order of amounts in the product. You are eating so much protein - definitely drink a ton of water. You may also need some probiotics or something. Try some greek nonfat yogurt and/or cottage cheese with probiotics. Or Kefir. Also, Good Belly has some good stuff in it for your tummy too.

In case it isn't anything someone else mentioned, check if your Myoplex bar has sugar alcohols. They can give you gas/diarrhea if consumed in excess, but I have heard some people say it affects them even if they just eat a little.

If I eat two bars with maltitol in them in one day, I have problems. : )

Thanks for the tips. This all started about a week ago when I REALLY upped the protein by adding in the shake at night.

Corn syrup solids in in it, but it's near the end of the list of ingredients. Does that mean there's not a lot of it in there?

It's hard to say without having exact numbers disclosed by the manufacturer. The FDA requires that ingredients must be listed in descending order by predominance of their weight. But some manufacturers circumvent that by splitting ingredients (I am not saying this is the case with BSN).

You almost need to be a scientist these days to be able to actually read and understand what is in any food we buy :eek:

But that is the beauty of HFCS for the manufacturer, you don't need a whole lot of it to sweeten the product because it is much sweeter than plain sugar and some people claim if sugar is cocaine, HFCS is crack :eek:. I think that is a little over the top but I think it has been very well established that it is addictive.

Everyone has different opinions (some very strong!) on protein requirements, processed foods, and macronutrient percentages, but here are some things to consider:

You gave your percentages as:
"15% fat, 35% carbs, and 50% protein"
This is a very unusual combination from a health and nutrition perspective. Most recommendations would be much higher for fat (in good healthy forms...nuts, seeds, fish with lots of omega-3 like salmon, etc)...probably a minimum of 20% and most suggesting 25, 30, sometimes even 35 for "Mediterranean" food plans. Your body NEEDS essential fats, especially DHA and EPA, to work properly. The protein sounds WAY too high. This can be very taxing on your body. It can decrease your calcium, increasing your risk for osteoporosis (and a bunch of other health risks). ("Extra" protein is not the miracle muscle builder that fitness magazines seem to imply). Finally, the carbs seem too low...HEALTHY carbs (whole foods like vegetables, greens, fruits that provide complex carbs and natural fiber, as well as whole grains) are good for you and it seems like you need more.

Processed foods in general are not as good as whole foods. Sometimes convenience is given as a reason, and perhaps a "protein bar" is better than a candy bar as a mid-afternoon snack, if that is the choice you're making...but a little bit of planning and effort (with guidance on how to do that planning), even if you have to eat out of the house a lot, can give you a supply of whole, nutritious foods to last while you're gone. (The assumption here is that you don't also rely on bars and processed protein while in your house).

I know that there are many on the forums that like processed protein products, and high protein percentages, so this is not a criticism of anyone's choice. Just some options to consider based on solid (non-profit based) health and nutrition research.

Try even just a week with these changes and see how you feel!

Check the sugar alcohol levels of the power bars and protein bars, anything "sugar-free" you are eating: some common ones are Xylitol, Sorbitol, Mannitol and Maltitol. They make you bloat and fart, and recent studies have shown that people actually gain weight on them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.