Transit strike rant

nancy324

Cathlete
I just can't believe we're in the middle of this. I come to work each day not knowing how I will get home. I had to cancel an appointment with my oral surgeon for him to check-up on my surgery because I have no way to get there. I had to cancel an appointment with a new gynecologist who I waited 3 months to see because I can't get there. I keep walking around in the freezing cold with an awful head cold and sore throat. Nothing is easy anymore. Everything takes elaborate planning. I feel like a wuss just because I don't get out of bed at 3 in the morning to start my commute so I can be at work by 10:00 a.m. like the macho types in my office. Meanwhile, I'm hardly getting any work done. And I'm one of the lucky ones. Imagine the people who are really sick and have no choice about dr. appointments. Imagine people who don't get paid if they don't get to work. Imagine people who can't tolerate the cold. Imagine the plight of the poor store owner who depends upon the holiday season to survive, and whose store is closed on the most profitable week of the year.

Okay, that's my rant. Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.

-Nancy

All I know about this is what I see on the cable news stations, and I sure don't envy you! This strike is illegal, right? And it could not have come at a worse time. The union is not endearing itself to anyone, that's for sure! I can't imagine being in your situation. Hopefully they will be forced to end it ASAP.
Just Do It! :)

I thought about you last night when I heard. How awful for you and everyone affected...especially the sick and elderly!

Yup, illegal HB. And the things they are asking for no one else gets.
Free health benefits. A full pension at age 55. Nobody gets that stuff anymore. They are living in a fantasy land. Grrrrr. Thanks for your sympathy.

I heard a report that said the union has to pay $4,000,000 a day in fines but that it's costing the city of NY $400,000,000 a day. I can't imagine!! I'm telling you, Ohio is lovely!

Michele

Michele, I think the figures are: they have to pay a fine of $1M per day and the city is losing $600M per day.

ohhh I am sorry, Nancy. We are fortunate in that DH takes Metro North New Haven line which is running pretty much same as usual. I can't even imagine how frustrating it has been :(

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Egads--it's worse that I thought!! Nancy, we'd love to have you in Ohio! Seriously, I feel for you. I know a city like NY is paralyzed without public transportation. I can't imagine how hard this must be and the cost to business, I'm sure, is enormous.

Michele

Oh dear Nancy. I work in NYC, lived here for 14 years and was subway addicted. Thank goodness this is not affecting me directly. However, I am in my office in Times Square and it is ghost town central, just battled the traffic to hoof it 15 blocks to go shopping. Can't get messenger service, car services. Grrrr indeed.

And by the way Nancy, if the TA does get free health benefits and full pension at 55 what's say we quit these office careers of ours and start driving them trains?

Hang in there!

Julie

The union is paying $1 million a day in fines.

I agree 100%, Nancy. Let me add that a 4-mile walk in bitter cold on concrete all the way just completely takes it out of you, even if you're used walking a lot. I can't bring enough water with me to stay hydrated--and if I drink up before I leave my apt, then I have to pee midway through the walk. Plus, I have really bad shin splints at this point from walking 12 miles on concrete in two days. I'm used to walking around the city and normally don't get shin splints anymore, but the mileage I've done in the last two days just about killed me.

I haven't done **** at work the last two days because I've been so exhausted by the time I get here--I spend my time trying to rehydrate and get enough energy back to walk home. Don't know how I'm going to make it home tonight, but I'm not coming in Thursday and Friday if I have to walk.

As for the transit union--in addition to the pension at 55 and health benefits that they don't have to pay a percentage of, they also want a 24% wage increase over three years. When was the last time you heard of anyone in private industry who got that type of a raise, especially 3 years in a row? It's outrageous. I know they provide a vital public service, but it's not as if they're risking their lives, like firefighters or the police. I hope that Patiki fires them all. My sister, who is a teacher and in that union, supports the transit workers. We had a big fight about it yesterday.

*turning off the rant mode now!*

Feel better, Nancy. Just go around your office sneezing and infect all those macho guys who have to prove that they can get there by 10 a.m.! }(

I used to live in Park Slope and can not even imagine how I would have gotten to work in Times Square. Now I reside in (on the edge of the river) --- (ick) New Jersey (shiver) --- and work on Wall Street. The PATH trains are running fine, just really crowded. For the first time ever, I'm glad I live where I do (it'll pass). It's amazing how much you take the subway for granted until you lose it! We're really stuck without it.

I wimped out by taking my last two vacation days to avoid the whole mess, but I'll have to go to work tomorrow. Unfortunately for me it will mean doing the "manly" thing and being ON THE ROAD AT 3 am!!! (espresso in hand!)

Sandra

I am still here in my office. I tried to hail a cab, but when I said I was going to Brooklyn, they just sped by. I've been up since 5 am and my head cold is getting worse. My DH called car service to pick me up and they said I'll have to wait 2 hours. I'm really having an awful day. :-( I feel like a whiney baby who just wants to go home.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm sorry Nancy. I hope your car gets there more quickly than predicted.

Michele

Nancy, I feel for you and everyone else! My former NY roomie just moved to Brooklyn and she is absolutely stranded. What a hassle, especially this time of year.

I heard the train drivers make $65,000 a year plus the usual benefits. I know NY is expensive but gosh, that seems like a good living to me.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Thanks Michele. I've waited an hour and a half, so I figure it can't be too much longer. Maybe I should get some more work done.

NY25, I can't imagine how you would get there either. From Park Slope to Times Square is the worst possible trip under these circumstances. You sure are lucky you're not here.

Did you get home yet, Nancy? The BF met me with my bike about 8 blocks from home, thankfully--feet/legs wouldn't hold out much longer. I'm working at home tomorrow!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.