Tracey Staehle's Circuit Zone - Review

jillybean

Cathlete
Circuit Zone
I loved this workout!!! I watched the entire thing before I did it (which I strongly suggest doing as it makes for a much more fun and effective workout since you know what’s coming). While I watched it, I was thinking, this doesn’t look too hard. Hah! It rocked!!!

I LOVED the warm ups.
First came “Girlfight” – a kickboxing-type warm up for the upper body.
Next was “Hot legs” – a kickboxing-type warm up for the lower body.

Circuit 1 (UB) – Pullovers on step/Bench press on step/Burpees with hands on step into push ups – I think you do four sets of those. I used a 30# for the pullovers and 20s for the bench presses. Then afte the burpees/push ups you immediately go into rear delt raises while seated on bench. I used 10#s here as I was still breathing quite heavily from the burpees.

Circuit 2 (LB) - Lunges onto BOSU with heavy dumbbells then prisoner squats and jump tucks (I could be forgetting something – I just remember this section being very challenging but effective).

Circuit 2 Bonus (LB) – Split jump lunges (just like Cathe’s power scissors - TOUGH!) My split jump lunges were super shallow toward the end of these. I have to work on those – but I love workouts that point out weaknesses because once those moves become easier, I know I’m stronger!! I *think* this section ended with more tuck jumps. All I remember is that it was tough!

Circuit 3 (UB) - Hammer curl into tradition curl into outside curl into reverse curl. Loved these. Then boy oh boy do you burn out your triceps. Tracey and Jill were on foam rollers (for a balance challenge) doing med ball tosses. Barbie did lying triceps extensions. I knelt on my stability ball and did overhead triceps extensions (you could also kneel on the BOSU if you want).

Circuit 3 Bonus (UB) – More triceps work! Double-arm kickbacks with a traditional grip then palms facing forward, then palms facing back.

Circuit 4 (LB) – Get out your $%&*ing versa loop for a tough series of abductor/adductor work. Yowza!

Circuit 4 Bonus (LB) – Keep your versa loop on and do standing hamstring rear leg lifts, then jack squats (ala Glute Camp).

Circuit 5 (UB) - Cuban presses into overhead presses and then the shoulder move from Strictly upper body where you sort of figure 8 by bringing your arms up (thumbs up) into a modified front raise, and then weave them down with thumbs pointed down. Love those!

Circuit 5 - MORE shoulders! Jab, cross, hook, upper combo while holding light dumbbells. This was great and I felt it in my bis and core as well as my delts.

Circuit 6 (LB) - Single leg squats on the step - GOOD GRAVY! I think you also do squats with the toes lifted in this section (sorry, my brain's a little fuzzy right now). I do remember that my quads were screaming during this circuit but in a really good way. I actually think I saw some muscle definition during this section!!

Circuit 7 (LB) – Oh my! Balancing slow front kicks into slow side kicks into slow roundhouses. Then you do them a bit faster and repeat them 2x’s each. I tried to keep my leg elevated the entire time, even during the transitions. I managed to do this on my right but when I switch to my left I touched my toe to the floor a couple of times. Something to work on!!!

Circuit 7 Bonus – stretch on foam roller.

I don't remember when, but at one point you do a front lunge into a back row. Those were great. you also do wide grip rows but again, I can't remember when. I should have written it down - sorry!

What can I say? I loved this workout. Time flew by, I felt challenged yet not overwhelmed. I love how Tracey manages to make my legs feel sore and fatigued without using any equipment! I can’t wait to do this workout again. I have a feeling that this is one of those workouts that will get better and better each time you do it because you’ll know what is coming and you’ll be able to gauge your progress.

Tracey always been very knowledgeable and fit, but I was blown away by the information she offers in Circuit Zone. She tells you which muscles you’re working when, gives EXCELLENT kickboxing form pointers, and offers up functional moves that will help you perform better in other workouts. Her kickboxing form is great and I cannot wait for Strike Zone!!!

Once I do this workout a few more times, I will post some ways I plan on combining it with other workouts. For instance, I am thinking of doing the upper body premix of Circuit Zone in combination with the stability ball total body segment of HISM2 OR the first section of Total Body (from the Parts Series - the section led by Tracey).

Oh, since I use the BOSU for the lunge section of Circuit Zone, next time I do this workout, I plan on using the BOSU for the bench press section, the lying triceps section, and the one legged squat section (I may regret that!)

Woo hoo!!!

Just wait Shelley, there are three more coming out I think! I'm eagerly anticipating Strike Zone myself. }( (cha-ching, cha-ching)

It's unlike any circuit workout I've ever done. It's not cardio/weights/cardio/weights, etc. - and it's sort of like a boot camp type workout in that you do most of the moves for exactly one minute but instead of following a pattern like cardio/legs/arms/abs or something, it contains a few chest moves, then some lower body moves, some triceps moves, then some lower body moves, etc. The lower body stuff often has a nice cardio benefit to it, and I think some of the moves will improve coordination, agility, balance, and kickboxing technique. I'm super pumped about this workout!

Jill, I'm right there with you on this one. That leg circuit where you kick one million times, hold, then kick another million times is a KILLER. She does a great job with form pointers in this one and I love the intimate feel of the workout---it's like being in the gym with her. The interaction among the three participants added to this and Tracey's comment about squatting like you're in a public toilet was funny and provided a great example!

It's different, doesn't require a variety of weights, has bonus sections (so if you don't want to do 10,000 tuck jumps you don't have to) and 2 modifiers, one an "easier" one and one a "harder" one. Didn't have the testicular fortitude to do the harder modification more than a few times, but it's something to work towards.

The credit section is cute---it has small clips of Tracey during filming. The bits made me smile.

Great review and breakdown, Jill. I liked it the first time and I liked it even more the second time. I wanted more upper body today so I did upper body premix, lower body premix, upper body premix & repeated circuit 6 again (single leg squats on bosu, lunge/back row combo and knee strikes with one foot on bosu). I was having so much fun I didn't want to stop. I am nice and sore this evening. I really enjoyed the variety in this workout, the form pointers and the relaxed atmosphere. The rapport between Tracey, Jill and Barbie is great.

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

I did this for the first time yesterday, and also loved it! It was my first Tracey workout, and I loved her pleasant demeanor and how sweet she was. It really was just like having a trainer/friend there to walk you through everything. Can't wait until Strike Zone comes out!}(

> I loved her pleasant
>demeanor and how sweet she was. It really was just like
>having a trainer/friend there to walk you through everything.

Tracey's personality really shines in these workouts. (Be aware, if you are thinking of getting some of her previous workouts, that's NOT the case with most of them. In fact, in her first series of workouts, filmed all in one day, she often looks pained).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.