Tosca Reno Bankrupt RKP

lcsavik

Cathlete
Anyone else hear about this? She had 2 men in suits tell the employees they were closing the doors on Friday and that they were to leave the building. The employees didn't even get their last weeks pay, no severance or vacation pay. She is selling Oxygen, Eat clean and clean eating mag.

I know that there is probably more to the story but I read her statement and her employees comments. Its all shady. I'm so surprised and upset that people paid for prescriptions within the last few days and will not be refunded. This is bad business. What a crushing end to Bob's legacy.

Sorry for venting but I refuse to believe that someone I look up to would treat her employees this way.

Oh, I can believe it. People can surprise you. They are capable of the lowest ethical behaviour and treatment of others. Just because she likes to look good and "eat clean," whatever that means, really, doesn't mean that at heart she is not just a business woman and has gone for the money.

I never saw much "love" in tough-love Bob either. He sold a magazine whose fitness models promoted their health and fitness while running fast food joints that destroyed the health of those to whom they were all collectively preaching. Once I discovered this several years ago, I cancelled my subscription with immediate effect.

I cannot stand hypocrisy. Bob and Tosca deserved each other. Perhaps the world, though, does not deserve either of them!

Don't mourn any of them, just keep coming to cathe.com and we'll all try to keep on keeping it real.

Clare

I was really saddened to hear this news, too. I just renewed my 2-year sub last month!

I have no inside scoop, and I'm sure there is more to the story. But I also lost my job of 13 years when my employer took Chpt 7 bankruptcy and closed their doors. I also lost thousands of dollars in back and severance pay. I have not yet, and probably never will, recover financially. We received the news via conf call from my manager, and that was the last time I ever heard from her. So I know what RKP employees are going through.

However, I know (in the US, anyway) there are so many legal implications to how bankruptcy is communicated. Not knowing the whole story, I continue to support Tosca. Her writing and recipes have changed my and my family's life for the better. I don't take anything from her character because of her business abilities. I feel sympathy for her, her family, and especially the RKP employees. I think it's just a sad time and a cruddy economy.

This must be devastating for Tosca Reno. She was my introduction into the fitness world. Following her, I lost all my baby weight and have remained the trimmest in my life for 10 years now. Losing her husband last year, having to take over the company and now this? I hope she is managing okay and has her family's support. Re: two men in suits, no severance pay etc.. - that sounds like normal practice when it comes to a company bankruptcy. If the company has no money, it can't pay the employees. It's unfortunate for Tosca Reno and the employees too. I certainly wish her well.

Last edited:
I don't feel sorry for her. She took "her" brands and transferred them into her name so they escape the bankruptcy proceedings. That's not something that happens overnight. I feel so bad for the employees. She'll get paid while they get nothing.

It explains why Bob's daughter suddenly disappeared.

Oh, I can believe it. People can surprise you. They are capable of the lowest ethical behaviour and treatment of others. Just because she likes to look good and "eat clean," whatever that means, really, doesn't mean that at heart she is not just a business woman and has gone for the money.

I never saw much "love" in tough-love Bob either. He sold a magazine whose fitness models promoted their health and fitness while running fast food joints that destroyed the health of those to whom they were all collectively preaching. Once I discovered this several years ago, I cancelled my subscription with immediate effect.

I cannot stand hypocrisy. Bob and Tosca deserved each other. Perhaps the world, though, does not deserve either of them!

Don't mourn any of them, just keep coming to cathe.com and we'll all try to keep on keeping it real.

Clare

Clare,
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!! Well said!

I think it's interesting that she was posting on FB last month her trip to Europe and Australia. :-{. What's up with that??

Clare

So what's this about fast food joints?

It was an article focus on a particular weight lifting pro/fitness model and how she spends her day: know the type of article I mean? It described all the workouts she does and the miniscule portions of chicken and egg whites she consumes, and then in the "business" section of her day, it described how she ran several fast food stores from certain chains, and this was where her money came from, that allowed her to be a fitness pro.

This fitness pro did not put her money where her mouth is, and I thought it hypocritical of "tough love Bob" and the "Eat Clean" mistress to feature this model. She makes money out of shovelling crap down the throats of others.

Not my scene.

Clare

well

technically she didn't force the fast food on anyone. No one forced them to buy it. People have free will.

Sure Cupcake, and we should probably abandon the war against drugs too, right? Because after all, no-one is FORCING addicts to take heroin, right?

I was asked for an explanation of why I thought Oxygen practiced dubious ethics and what lead me to cancel my subscription. This I have done. What you think of my perception of the demised magazine and its lead protagonists is neither here nor there.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy however you look at it.

Clare

I'm just saying

If you remove everything you believe is bad you are basically removing choice. I take it the world might be a better place without options and if everyone just did the right thing.

Who decides what's right? What gets banned? Censored? Taxed?
Why is it hypocricy vs. business?
If there's a market, there's a market.

You can have your opinion it doesnt mean you have to shoot down other people who have different ideas. And if I wanted to take Heroin I wouldn't blame anyone for it.

Last edited:
If you remove everything you believe is bad you are basically removing choice. I take it the world might be a better place without options and if everyone just did the right thing.

Who decides what's right? What gets banned? Censored? Taxed?
Why is it hypocricy vs. business?
If there's a market, there's a market.

You can have your opinion it doesnt mean you have to shoot down other people who have different ideas. And if I wanted to take Heroin I wouldn't blame anyone for it.

Excellent point.
More and more of our freedoms are beind taken away everyday and I for one don't like it.

Excellent point.
More and more of our freedoms are beind taken away everyday and I for one don't like it.

Agreed. The problem with this country is no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Also, if you eat fast food in moderation, it's not "unhealthy." Some people truly do just eat at, say, McDonalds once in a while. We should not demonize a company simply because those with no self-control choose to eat fast food every day.

Agreed. The problem with this country is no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Also, if you eat fast food in moderation, it's not "unhealthy." Some people truly do just eat at, say, McDonalds once in a while. We should not demonize a company simply because those with no self-control choose to eat fast food every day.

This is true.
I love Taco Bell for a splurge every now an then. :D At least we know fast food is not good to eat everyday.
The grocery stores are filled with food that claims to be healthy. You need a thesaurus to figure out some of the names they have for artificial sugar. For the longest time I thought "no sugar added" on apple sauce jars meant it was all natural, but now realize they replace it with chemicals.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.