Tony Dungy - Sad news from Indianapolis Colts Land

catwoman

Cathlete
Yes, I am a diehard Indy Colts fan! So, when I heard the very sad news today, I was stunned, and my heart dropped into my feet for a man who's a wonderful example of srength, honor, and integrity. Tony Dungy's oldest son, James, 18 years old, living in Tampa while he attended college, was found dead early this morning. They are now saying it was an apparent suicide, but I just don't understand why this bright, talented, fortunate young man would do such a thing. The Dungy's are a strong family, with strong faith, and good values. They're not show-boaters who do stupid things. They're humble people. The Dungy's were so close to seeing a dream fulfilled -- something they waited years for -- the potential for their first Superbowl. Why, with so much in the cards, and with the holidays close at hand, would James do this? Why now? Why at Christmas? ...when his family was about to come back together for the holidays? He had a girlfriend, and was out with friends just this past Monday night, cracking jokes and "just being himself." No one knows why he would kill himself. There was no note left behind, apparently, and no one seems to know what would have motivated him to do this.

I don't know if I'm buying the suicide story at this point. Some people exhibit the signs of suicide, so when it happens, people say, "he was so sad about this or that" or "Such-and-such just really devastated him, he was never the same after that..." or some other such comment. But with James, his suicide just came out of the blue...almost like he was lying in bed last night and thought, "Hmmm, suicide sounds like an interesting thing to do right now." In other words, this whole thing is shockingly bizarre and makes no sense.

Our whole city is extremely devastated by this tragic news, and I just can't seem to get it out of my mind. We all feel like an extended part of Dungy's family, and it's like one of us has died today. I can usually brush off celebrity deaths without too much trouble, but this one is a tough one to take for some reason. I've been close to tears over it several times today.

If anyone's interested in reading the latest story in our local newspaper, here's the link:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051222/SPORTS03/512220474

My husband has been so depressed since he heard the news, and it has definitely made me sad. It is REALLY sad, and I don't want to buy the suicide bit. They are such a wonderful family, and I love his coaching style. He doesn't scream and yell like the other coaches, he is patient and God fearing. It couldn't have happened to a nicer family. There is a definite gray cloud looming over Indy. ;( I was watching clips last night of Dungy and his son and they looked so happy and James was smiliing and laughing - not at all like the typical suicide victim. It is so tragic! :(:(:( I really hope that his family can feel comfort in this rough time. We are definitely praying for them.

Missy

It is so terrible for a parent to have to go through anything like this. Coach Dungy seems like such a wonderful family man, that it makes it all the much harder, and sadder. I pray for him and his family to be able to be able to find the strength in their faith to help them through this tragic, untimely death. To me, it makes no sense that it is a suicide, however, we never know what pains others are going through. I pray for him, and his family. So sad.

Ann Marie

Not a big football person, but recognized the specialness of Coach Dungy a long time ago.

It just breaks my heart. They are such a wonderful, kind and generous family. I can't imagine how awful this is for all of them. The thought of losing a child... All of my prayers are with the Dungy family.

Becky

I am in Dallas but a big fan of the Colts because of Tony Dungy. Our family is praying for Mr. Dungy's family during this difficult time. I know the Colts have to keep playing - I hope they stay emotionally strong and win it for the Dungy family.

jooge

That really is sad news for the Dungy family. Suicide is such a complicated thing to understand. Especially if it's someone that seems to have everything. The truth of the matter is that "having everything" can actually be a curse as much as it is a blessing.

Unfortunately, most colleges seem to forget to watch out for those that appear to be having trouble adjusting to being away from home at any time of the year. In my own daughter's case, the college had Dorm Assistance that were simply students that were only a year or two older than she. They were not trained professionals that knew the warning signs of a suicidal student. In fact, while my daughter was having a hard time adjusting, her DA never even spoke to her. My daughter is fine but did not stay away at school after the first semester.

While this young man may have just been "out with friends just this past Monday night, cracking jokes and 'just being himself,'" there were apparently things goig on within him that no one was aware of. This is far too often the case in suicide.

I work for (but am not in) the military. Just before Thanksgiving our base "celebrated" something called "Wing Man day." This day was spent talking about the stressers of life and ways that we can be aware of what is happening in the lives of those that we work with. Young Airman/Soldiers/Sailors that live in the dorms are often just like freshman in college in that this is their first time away from home, family, and friends. They struggle with depression around the holiday season more than any other time of the year because it is the first time they are away from home for the holidays.

What we learned from our mental health folks is that very often there are no warning signs from a suicidal individual. Someone that truly wants to be dead NEVER tells anyone that he/she is going to kill him/herself. But but in most cases, there are warning signs. Talk of being better off dead, wanting to be dead, saying everyone would be better off without me. If someone around you maiking comments such as these PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. DO NOT HESITATE TO SPEAK TO THAT PERSON DIRECTLY, TO THAT PERSON'S SPOUSE, MOTHER/FATHER. This can sometimes be a cry for help & should not be ignored.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.