Sweetening oatmeal

Lynnne

Cathlete
I eat oatmeal almost everyday and can't stand eating it plain! Any recommendations on sweetening it? I generally use honey - but I tend to go overboard and put too much on it, which means too much sugar! Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Wow - fast replies - some good ideas! Sugar free maple syrup sounds good! I'll have to search for some of that!

I eat a 1/2 and 1/2 of oatmeal and oat bran every day. I put Splenda and a little brown sugar and some Butter Buds on it. YUM!!!!

Lynne--

The kind I get has only 10 calories per serving--some have a bit more with 30 calories. Oddly enough, the 10 calorie one tastes better! If you can find it where you are, the 10 calorie kind is called "Vermont Sugar Free Syrup."

Enjoy!

--Callie

Thanks Callie - I'll look for it, sounds like a good idea. I like the brown sugar idea as well, but I"m afraid I'd go overboard with that too! I want to avoid sugar as much as possible.

I make a smoothie every day with plain yogurt (about 1/2 c), raw oatmeal, ground flax seed, fruit (blueberries, lately), and 1/4 c fruit juice (I look for the kinds that have NO ADDED anything in them).

It is nice to have the oatmeal without having to cook it, esp in these hot months.

I have used various sugar free syrups in the past....they're ok, don't think I have tried the one you all are discussing.

TONS AND TONS of fruit on cooked oatmeal sometimes precludes sweetening.

Jen

Hi Lynn,

I use splenda and protein powder. Before I make it I put about half a scoop of vanilla protein powder in it and then cook it, add a tsp splenda and sometimes fruit, my favorites are blueberries, peaches, strawberries or you can put cinnamon and nuts in it. If you want to nix the powder try some vanilla flavoring and splenda - or just splenda!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Well I put after cooking it some vanilla extract, a dash of cinnamon powder, a dash of molly mcbutter and splenda. This keeps my points low (I follow WW) and tastes great for me. Sometimes I'll add some tiny cut up bits of apple while it's cooking just to change things up a bit.

I'm not much of an oatmeal lover either, but i find making it with vanilla soymlk, instead of water or regular milk, makes it quite yummy!:+

-Leslie

Make your oatmeal with skim milk. The natural sugars in the milk make the oatmeal naturally sweet. Of course, the milk also adds calcium and other nutrients. Then sprinkle on nutmeg and lots of cinnamon. You won't need any other sweeteners!

I eat mine every day with about a 1/4 cup of non fat cottage cheese and one packet of Splenda.

I add fresh berries on the weekends.

I used to eat it with a little vanilla yogurt but that got too sweet after a while (did I just say that?!?!?!)

Mikie

Real Maple syrup (most of the stuff they sell in stores is "maple flavored" syrup with corn syrup and/or sugar in). A little bit goes a long way.

Agave nectar (from the same cactus plant that tequila is made from), wich is low glycemic and a concentrated sweetener.

Cook the oatmeal with raisins or cook it in a bit of apple juice.

I eat it with banana. I also sprinkle a little sugar on it. I don't think a little sugar would harm your diet or fitness routine.

When it was cooler I had oatmeal every moring. I cook mine in water and egg whites for a protien boost. I usually add a bit of splenda and cinnamon or Walden Farms sugar free maple syrup. I love that stuff.

I love to put sliced up strawberries, sliced almonds(just a few) and splenda in mine. I've also used the syrup and cinnamon trick. Another great thing i've discovered is sugar-free apricot preserves YUMMY!!!! I could eat the whole jar!! Could i said not that i have.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.