Supplements

khshill

Cathlete
What is your take on supplements? Does anyone use them? If so, what do you take and what for? I currently don't take any and have heard both sides to them. I am debating whether to take them or not!?

Thanks!

Kristen : )

My position (strictly opinion) is not to take anything that I am not willing to take for the rest of my life. That basically narrows the field to vitamins for me. I personally think that everyone should take vitamins. I have read so many times that no matter how healthy the diet, it just is not possible to get all the vitamins out body needs, especially in active bodies.

Now, as far as weight loss supplements...you would have to pin me down and force it down my throat. Not because my current weight is fine (and it hasn't always been) but because they are hard on your heart (and I am sure they are hard on other organs, too). We need our heart...period.

Something to think about...I saw Anna Nicole on The View about a year ago (or so) and they just fussed over her remarkable weight loss and wanted to know every detail. Never once did she credit Trim Spa...she spoke of starving herself. That tells me that the weight loss supplements do not work. If they did work, we would not have so many over weight and obese people walking around.

there was also an article about a month ago that stated research that the pills DON'Tserver their purpose WITHOUT diet and exercise anyway so what's the point of spending ALOT of money on these pills if they don't work without the old fashion stuff anyway.

i am with other supplement which are vitamins. multi-vitamins, vitamin c supplement, calcium chew or something like that. but it is bet to get all your vitamins you can through food like veggies and stuff. i take a centrum performance vitamin myself. my hubby was taking these others that you had to take 3 and when he ran out and stuff taking them it was almost like his body couldn't function without the stuff. like the only way he was going to get energy was to take these 3 huge horse pills. i guess it was almost like caffiene pills that gave a super rush. they were only at vitamin shops and the were expensive. pretty much drugs, something we got into fitness to get off of. ironic isn't it.

sorry didn't me to go off there but i dont' think diet pills are worth it but vitamins are a good investment,just make sure you do your research just b/c its natural doesn't mean its safe.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Weight lose supplements, IMHO, are NEVER ok...Diet and exercise!!!

Vitamins ARE ok...I use a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement 2x's a day...I also use a protein shake when I feel I need it after weight training (vegan, non-soy)...This is an extra "boost", but not in place of a meal...

MJ

Thank you everyone for your input! I didn't really mean "diet" pills I guess. It was more what I see that bodybuilders take, etc. Thanks for all of your help!!!! :)

i am weary of the creatine stuff b/c nobody can tell me what purpose they really serve.when out of all the ppl i ask can give me a scientific answer pretty much besides sounding like a spokesperson for the product i might change my mind.

protien shakes i don't find a problem with b/c protien is good for you and some of the powder has add vitamins to them

besides vitamins and protien powder nobody can give a good solid reason why anything else is worth it.

kassia

I drink a yougart smoothie every morning. Take a liquid form of vitamin B every 2 to 3 days and about once a week maybe once every 2 weeks I drink a spir-tein shake with skim milk. Everything else comes from my eating.

Kim

Kassia,

My boyfriend used to take creatine in high school, and he went from skinny to muscular over the course of one summer vacation. He says that creatine somehow keeps your muscles from getting sore, so you can work out to "failure" every day, which is what he did. He worked out like a madman daily because he never had muscle soreness.

Basically, it doesn't magically make your muscles grow, but it helps you get there faster somehow. I don't know if it works for everyone in every situation, but it apparently worked wonders for him (but I didn't know him when he was in high school, so I can't verify!).

I kinda like feeling muscle soreness (I accomplished something!!), and I don't want to spend money on supplements, so I'm not going to test it on myself. :)

thanks for the input about creatine. call me nuts but i think i like the soreness and "pain" LOL. i usually have some sort of protien source after a workout and come out feeling fine.

kassia

I used creatine for about 2 years when I was in my mid 20s. It did absolutely nothing for me.

My take on weight training supplements: lots 'o' money, little results, & some potential health risks. Unless you're competing, what's the point?

I also do a multivitamin & calcium supplement. Just my two cents, but I think getting in shape is solely diet & exercise (OK & the right mental state of mind to actually do it). Nothing external is gonna do it for you--there is no easy way. It takes all the "D" words--dedication, discipline, drive, desire, determination........

Here's my take on this subject:

I started taking supplements about a month ago. I saw a naturopathic doctor who helped me develop a "program" tailored to my body's needs. I've been trying to lose weight, and even though I will eat right and exercise almost daily, I've not been able to lose more than a few pounds, and those pounds end up coming right back on.

I've found that "supplements" are so much more than just vitamins, and that even with vitamins, it makes a big BIG difference where you buy them.

My naturopathic doctor started me on Nature's Sunshine vitamins. I firmly believe after trying the products that Nature's Sunshine is the absolute best supplement/vitamin manufacturer on the market. Their products are all natural and exceptionally pure. At any rate, I started out with what's called Super Supplemental, which is a heavy duty "multi-vitamin". I also started out with what's simply called Food Enzymes. I felt the difference IMMEDIATELY! The first side effect was lots and lots of pee'ing. When I told my doctor about this, she said, "That's normal, but drink lemon water to help relieve the acidity in your urine, and that will help." Basically, my body had been building up toxins because it didn't have the nutrients to get rid of them. In addition to my body now having the nutrients to get rid of the toxins, the Food Enzymes were helping my body break down the proteins in my food so that I could digest and absorb them better. Lots of drainage (ears, sinuses....other areas I won't mention here), but now I seem to have finally hit an equilibrium.

I will now start a supplemental product called Evening Primrose Oil. I believe that this product might be one of the answers to my inability to lose weight. This product will work on the "female system" and help correct it, because I've known for some time that I've got "female problems". I've been told that it takes 3 months of regular use to really start to see results from this product. But that's fine by me.

Next, I will take something called Hoodia. This is a natural appetite suppressant used by the tribespeople in Africa when they go on long hunts. It enables them to go for longer periods of time without eating...and it doesn't wire you up or cause ill side effects. The formula I'll take is very mild and will only help with hunger cravings between meals and won't affect my meals themselves. I have a problem with what I consider abnormal hunger between meals, and I need help with this. It is very hard to control and Hoodia will help me eat normal caloric levels.

Those are just my thoughts, but I can tell you that since I started taking the Super Supplemental and Food Enzymes, I've had the best workouts EVER! I've really felt it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.