Sucralose

dss62467

Cathlete
Does anyone know how safe this stuff is? I noticed that it's in the new low-sugar Quaker instant oatmeal, so I was afraid to buy it. I also bought my daughter some Cinnamon Toast Crunch with low sugar, because I never get her the "junk" cereal and this had such low sugar, I thought it was OK. Then after we had some and I saw how sweet it still was, I checked the label and saw it has Sucralose in it. I'm not too keen on giving my daughter articial sweeteners (even thuogh she has some of my Diet Coke from time to time).

I haven't really heard anything about it. Any info?

I don't give it to my kids at all and I try not to consume too much.

Darn - I bought the low-sugar Quaker oatmeal and didn't bother looking at the ingredients. We haven't opened it yet, but now I won't give it to my kids. I'm glad that you posted this.

Erica

Hi,
I don't think it's a good idea to give it to kids either. I MAKE SURE when I buy some junk for my kids it does not contain sucralose but I noticed every fat free/low fat junk has sucralose in it unless you buy it from a health food store. A lot of healthy food usually use stevia or apple sauce/juice, etc for sweetner. Even your diet coke has sucralose/aspartame in it. Please throw the box out. It'll make you feel better knowing your daughter won't eat it.

Lisa :)

I know the diet pop has nutra-sweet in it, but she drinks so very little pop that I'm not too concerned. She actually prefers her Ovaltine. I'll just get her the regular Cinnamon Toast Crunch next time. The sugar content isn't outrageous.

OK Susan, that article just makes me MAD! Not at the author, of course, but at General Mills for putting it in a child's cereal and our government for allowing it! I most definitely will not purchase it again.

What really bugs me is that I've tried to find a wholesome organic kids cereal. The only organic kids cereals that I have found have absolutely no nutritional value to them. It's like they're just puffs of calories with no vitamins. Of course, I've found healthy versions of Cheerios with honey, but my daughter wants a cereal with a cute character on the front.

Does anyone know of a good kids cereal?

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet folks. Don't you think you should check out the source first?

No, of course you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. But you also can't believe everything the FDA says is safe. They did approve Vioxx.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.